Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #21

I use truck stops all the time -- preferably Pilot/Flying J. They don't care where you park your rig -- among the trucks is just fine.

I learned something the other day too. I pulled in to get diesel in a truck lane as usual. The main pump was on the right side of my truck instead of the left side where I refuel. On the left side was the "satellite pump" which has no controls, only a pump. I tried to figure out how to energize the satellite so I could get diesel but there was nothing obvious.

Here's the trick to energize that satellite pump -- energize the main pump as if you were going to pump from that side. Then take that hose off & lay it on the ground. You can then go to the satellite pump on the other side and pump your diesel. Trucks pump from the main pump then use the satellite, then stow all hoses.

Oh, several folks commented on safety & theft. I just wanted to mention that truck drivers are definitely NOT the threat in truck stops. Truckers are heavily invested in their rigs & occupational licenses -- they wouldn't dream of stealing from anyone, regardless of how rugged they may appear. Can't say the same about some drifters who hang around truck stop though!
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:09 PM   #22

Gas Buddy

I use the "Gas Buddy" App on my smart phone, to check fuel prices. Anywhere there is a truck stop, there are several. I compare the prices about 50 miles before I get there, so I can decide which one I want. For instance, at Sierra Blanca in Arizona, it is worth driving into town to the stop and rob rather than using the truck stops on the interstate, since it can save up to 20 cents a gallon sometimes.
The app is free, you can get points for reporting prices, (the whole point of the app in the first place) and you can watch for price changes as you travel around your home base. The app also provides maps and turn by turn directions.
Some of our cross country runs, we stay in the parking lot with the big rigs, use the showers, and eat at the restaurant. This is really great if snowed in or just too tired to push on. I park out of the way, near the facility, for safety.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #23

I find that no matter what the longer I have been driving and the more tired I get or if its raining or bad out saving money becomes secondary to fast and easy....lol

Anyway, gas buddy is a good app...pilot and loves have their own apps as well....all good tools...
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #24

Hi, we use truck stops all the time. We try to get to a Flying J or Pilot. For the past two winters we have travelled from Mass to Arizona - using truck stops all the way. My husband is an ex-truckdriver and we overnight there. It takes us about 7-8 days driving only about 400 miles max each day. Pulling into a Flying J is like coming home now. I have noticed the diesel prices are a little higher than local stations, but being able to stay the night is worth the extra few dollars. I do not have any nervousness about parking next to a running truck (if nothing available in the regular parking lot). All our experiences have been good. Will be taking off this coming January for our two month expedition - looking forward to it. See ya around.
Dubedubedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
Anyway, gas buddy is a good app...pilot and loves have their own apps as well....all good tools...
I use them too, very good tools to use if you have a smart phone.
BobandArlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:20 AM   #26

I had one bad experience at a Pilot truck stop. It seems to be common practice for the trucker to fill up, pull forward enough to clear the pump, and then go inside for lunch or other business. This may work when it takes a while to fill up a truck, but with the truck hoses, it only took a minute or so to fill my tank. The driver ahead of me pulled forward and went across the street to get some KFC. Luckily the area behind me cleared and I was able to back out. It didn't seem to be this one driver as drivers in other lanes did the same thing. My 5'vr is only 31 feet, so I have no problem using the RV lanes, other than a couple of times someone actually parked blocking the entry. Access to the truck stops was one factor driving me to switch from gas. I had a number of bad experiences trying to gas up, and of course I had to do it a lot more often. With gas, I had to gas up between Raleigh and Rodanthe, whereas with the same size diesel tank, I can make it with ease.
Camped 36 Days in 2012, 23 Days in 2013, 35 Days in 2014, 30 Days in 2015, 46 Days in 2016, 5 days in 2017.
MikeInRaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #27

I use the truck stop guide, a little pocket (dash) book that lists the upcoming truck stops in sequential order on major roads. Used to be $5, but is now around $7. I update my copy about every two-three years and pass the old one off to someone else who travels and camps.
Road Life Publications | The Official Home of the Pocket Truck Stop Guide

JR

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #28

I prefer the trucks stops due to the fact they they have plenty of room for 55 foot of 5er and TV. I think one of my biggest pet peeves is pulling into a smaller gas station and sitting at the one diesel/gas pump is a little car getting gas. They are also the ones that don't just get gas, they hit the bathroom, get dinner and 30 min later they roll out.

Most stations around here put the diesel pumps in a location where you can get in and out fairly easily with a camper but truck stops are a lot easier.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2014 Puma 295BHSSOK
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins SRW with
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
Boetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #29

We almost exclusively use Pilot\Flying J with the good Sam card you save .06 per gallon on Diesel. The only bad experience was in Virginia where were parked at the end of a truck row and some A-Hole tossed a heavily katsup'd corn dog at my TV while we were in the restaurant snacking. That ticked me off to no end. I was in the mood to kick some trucker ass that afternoon. Unfortunately after interrogating drivers resting in their cabs around me, no one saw nuttin'.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:29 PM   #30

I will most likely have to start using truck stops verses a regular station due to the size of my rig now. So far all my trips I've only used a tank or less to make it to my destination. But I have a few trips in the planning stage now, so it's something to think about for sure.

Tim
Vengeance touring edition 39R12
2012 Ram 3500 DRW
riznfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #31

One thing we do is use the satellite views of gas stations or truck stops when we are trying to figure out where to fill up. We have also had good luck with the GasBuddy App.

We have a short bed F250 and a 38' TT, the truck only has a 26 gallon tank so getting diesel every few hundred miles is a constant pain. We look ahead and use GasBuddy to search for pricing of fuel and then the SAT view on the phone to see if we can get in the station. We have found diesel can vary up to 50 cents by just getting a little off the beaten path.

My next truck will be a long bed and have an additional in-bed tank so I can be north of 75 gallon capacity.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #32

We often stop at loves/flying j/ta, etc. truck stops but usually check "the next exit" on interstates as it marks rv sized stations in red for easy access and egress. Such stations usually have some other conviences nearby.
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:30 PM   #33

I have a 2015 F250 super duty disel 26 gal fuel tank. Only get above 10 mpg with 34' cc. What are you getting mpg.
CCreek5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:30 PM   #34

About 10 mpg
CCreek5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:11 AM   #35

f250 mileage

Ram 2500 6.7, 2 wh drive, get 11 mpg at 64mph
X us from GA to AZ and back and east coast trips to FL.
Have not been to Colorado or west.

Your 10 is about right.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCreek5th View Post
I have a 2015 F250 super duty disel 26 gal fuel tank. Only get above 10 mpg with 34' cc. What are you getting mpg.
I have the same, it's a hassle having to stop so often and find a station. I wish I had put a 50 gallon tank in when I bought the truck.

My next truck will be a LB with a supplemental tank in the bed.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:51 PM   #37

Take a look at "Transfer-Flow" aux fuel tanks. They make low profile tanks for people with 5th wheels. They aren't cheap but they are the best and meet DOT standards and are tested not to leak fuel in an accident, a very safe system. They have a fuel system to keep fuel equalized in the aux tank and main tank. A pump moves fuel about every minute or so. They also make underbody aux tanks for some trucks. I used to sell them at a truck equipment dealer.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:56 PM   #38

Being a gaser with a small tank and lousy fuel mileage (6mpg), I have to be vigilant on my trip. I try to plan for stops that I've been to previously. But when I'm going to new places, I use the net and Google sat to help. I too start looking about 1/2 tank. I usually try for the end pump so I will have easy in and easy out. I also look to make sure I have a clear exit route before I pull in. My TV and TT are 45', so backing out will be my last option. I use both truck stops and gas stations.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:28 PM   #39

Since getting the fifth wheel and diesel tow beast, I usually fuel at truck stops if I am towing and need fuel. It is much easier getting in and out and I figure the fuel is much fresher. (Call me paranoid but when unhooked, I still try to avoid places that appear to be low volume diesel outlets)
If I am curious what I weigh I can hit the scales at the truck stops. (Cat scales =$10.50 for the first weigh)
I have never had an issue at any truck stop I have stopped at but wonder what the professional drivers think of us fueling there. I try to stay out of their way think that time is money to them.
Jeff in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
I have the same, it's a hassle having to stop so often and find a station. I wish I had put a 50 gallon tank in when I bought the truck.

My next truck will be a LB with a supplemental tank in the bed.

having a long bed truck, I was seriously considering putting an auxiliary tank in the bed of my truck RDS Vertical Diesel Fuel Transfer/Auxiliary Tank — 45-Gallon, Model# 71083 | Auxiliary-Transfer Tanks| Northern Tool + Equipment until I weighed my truck. I am not sure that I would want to add another ~400# to my truck (45 gallons of diesel at 7.25#/gal + 86# tank)
I am still pondering the idea before we make a trip to Florida in March.
Jeff in NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, truck