Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #1

Full timers insurance

Need advice from anyone who's been through the "wars" on this one. Currently have the coach and toad insured through State Farm. Have been continuously insured with them for right at 50 years.

They do not offer "fulltimers insurance" per se. So, currently I have the coach insured as though it's just another motor vehicle.

Besides having no coverage on the contents, is there any other downside to leaving it this way?

I'd rather not use Goodsams, since it's underwritten by GMAC. For reasons I'll not detail, I SWORE a year ago that I'd never do business with them again.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #2

Boohoo, I am a full timer as well. I have auto insurance on my 5th Wheel and Renters insurance for my personal possessions. I am insured through USAA. Have you looked this option?
Oldcamp1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcamp1986 View Post
Boohoo, I am a full timer as well. I have auto insurance on my 5th Wheel and Renters insurance for my personal possessions. I am insured through USAA. Have you looked this option?

Not yet, but sounds like a great idea. I'll check that out with State Farm.

Boowho??
Old 06-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #4

We full time and are insured through Erie Insurance, might want to try them also. Good luck.
XL 378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #5

Good question....and good answers. I've often wondered about this.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #6

If the unit is financed, you should have replacement cost. If you get an auto type policy, you may have ACV, and many people who finance RVs owe more then the ACV, therefore, they could have a total loss and they would pay less then you owe.
Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
Tenderfoot RV'er

Send a message via ICQ to jfcoopjr Send a message via AIM to jfcoopjr Send a message via MSN to jfcoopjr Send a message via Yahoo to jfcoopjr Send a message via Skype™ to jfcoopjr
I was shopping for insurance today and noticed Progressive offers RV insurance, with "primary residence" for an option. Also varying amounts on personal contents. Although I'm dreaming of Full-Timing it, when I trade this Salem 25FG in for a larger trailer, I'm content starting simple and merely recreational for now. <wink>
jfcoopjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #8

I just purchased my first tt a little over week ago. I will be full timing starting around the second week in July. I insured the trailer itself for $15,000 (about $160.00 a year) and, my agent told me when I'm ready, I can purchase insurance to cover the actual contents inside the trailer.

I have Allstate, have been with them over 27 years.
AGENT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #9

USAA doesn't offer RV Insurance. They have a partnership with Progressive. Do to whatever arrangement they have with Progressive. Progressive does not offer fulltimer insurance through them. Although you can get it directly through Progressive. Or so I was told by the Progressive USSA rep
Gazoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #10

USAA doesn't have "RV" Insurance. That said, I insured my 5th Wheel on my USAA auto policy and my personal items under a Renter's policy. This might be a viable option for some.
Oldcamp1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #11

Those who add RV insurance to an auto policy,
please read my above post. I have been told not to do that for the reason listed. There is a difference in RV insurance and adding an RV to an auto policy.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #12

When I purchased my new TT in February the dealer recommended Gilbert RV Insurance. My insurance company didn't offer gap insurance in case it was totaled and Gilbert did. I think I remember them asking about coverage of items in the camper. It may give you a choice. Their rate was close to what I could get locally except they gave me almost $50 discount for paying for the entire year in full. here is their web link: www.gilbertrvinsurance.com
tclcyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #13

I couldn't tell from the website if Gilbert was an insurance agent or the insurance company that insures you? If they are agents then who is the insurance company?
Old 06-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #14

They are an insurance agent and the company I have is Allied Insurance. Hope this helps!
tclcyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #15
Love My Sunseeker

I'm insured with Progressive. When I first started RV'ing the only ones that I heard would do full-timers is Good Sam (which I refuse for the same reason as the OP) and Progressive.

My car is with Farmers and my agent swore that Farmers can insure full-timers through a division called FOREMOST. However, another Farmers agent told me FOREMOST can't compete with Good Sam or Progressive, FOREMOST is more expensive.

If you are truly full-timing but only paying "part timing" insurance, the downfall is that any claim you might turn in would be denied, or you won't get certain coverages that you WOULD get under a full-timers policy. Although I have heard of people who full time and don't tell the insurance company because it gets them a cheaper premium. My experience is.... IT'S NEVER A GOOD IDEA TO LIE TO THE INSURANCE COMPANY! DON'T EVEN DO A LIE BY OMISSION!

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #16

I would not lie about anything to an insurance company, knowingly, if you do and get caught, they can just not pay the claim. Foremost is a large insurance company and they are one of the only companies that will insure mobil homes in the US. What is wrong with Good Sam insurance? I insure with them, GMAC is who is the insurance company for Good Sam was a lot cheaper then any I could find in February 2012.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
If the unit is financed, you should have replacement cost. If you get an auto type policy, you may have ACV, and many people who finance RVs owe more then the ACV, therefore, they could have a total loss and they would pay less then you owe.
Good Luck

My State Farm policy specifies current NADA value as the amount paid in case of a total lost.

Bank of the West, who holds my mortgage, is perfectly happy with the coverage I've purchased since my loan balance is less that %50 of of current NADA book value.

It should be quite a few years before the NADA book value declines to less than my loan balance.

As far as I can tell, the only disadvantage to using a plain old auto policy, is that you have no insurance on the contents.

Boowho??
Old 06-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #18
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
What is wrong with Good Sam insurance? I insure with them, GMAC is who is the insurance company for Good Sam was a lot cheaper then any I could find in February 2012.
Maybe they have changed, but when I contacted them for a quote, they REFUSED to give me a quote unless I provided my social security number. NO WAY! Not for a quote!

Now, insurance companies are using your Credit Profiles at Equifax as part of their rates. Some person with nothing better to do found a correlation between good credit risks and whether or not claims are filed. I am totally against this. This is a mis-use of something that was intended only for credit cards. My state, WA, is trying to get a law to prevent insurance agents from doing this in WA, but it's not gone anywhere.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #19
Columbus 302 rs

USAA told us they didn't provide full timer insurance and put us in contact with one of their "partner" companies which wasn't Progressive. Price was way through the roof. We are insured directly with Progressive for a fraction of the price of the USAA partner company. Contents are insured for the amount we selected just like with a household policy.
TheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #20

Allied Insurance through Camping World
scivilla is offline   Reply With Quote