Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2015, 10:46 PM   #1

Gap Insurance

I'd like to know if anyone knows of a place that someone can get a gap policy for a financed TT? This is our 4th TT, but the first I didn't finance at the dealer. In the past I have always used a Gap policy,and when I had a prior TT stolen from a storage lot that wasn't even a year old, I was very glad I had the policy.

Long story short, I already have purchased the TT, so this would be after the fact. The TT is only about a month old. USAA, whom I financed the trailer through & have my current home owners and auto policies with won't do it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Ranger431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:38 AM   #2

Check with the dealer. When I looked at gap it only went 5 years out and not the term on my loan. I declined it. If you find it check on the term length.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:46 AM   #3

If you get an RV insurance policy, you should be able to get replacement cost. If you just add your RV to an auto policy they may pay off with actual cash value which may be less then you owe if it is financed.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
If you get an RV insurance policy, you should be able to get replacement cost.
This is what I did. And, I used an insurance brokerage who really know campers. My Allstate agent was worthless when it came to anything camper-related.

Ranger431, try contacting:
Miller Insurance Agency
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:48 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. We tried USA and they didn't offer full replacement. Haven't found anyone else yet.

I will look and see if I can find anything on Miller. Do you happen to have a number?
Ranger431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger431 View Post
I'd like to know if anyone knows of a place that someone can get a gap policy for a financed TT? This is our 4th TT, but the first I didn't finance at the dealer. In the past I have always used a Gap policy,and when I had a prior TT stolen from a storage lot that wasn't even a year old, I was very glad I had the policy.

Long story short, I already have purchased the TT, so this would be after the fact. The TT is only about a month old. USAA, whom I financed the trailer through & have my current home owners and auto policies with won't do it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Ranger, I don't know if this is an option for you, but this is what USAA told me to do today.

I paid cash for my 2013 van, and I owe about $10k on my truck (my interest rate through NFCU is less than I get for investments, so I haven't bothered trying to pay it off LOL).

Anyway, USAA said I should take a loan out on either the van or the truck, use that loan to pay off the TT. Then I would own the TT outright, but my vehicle would be financed. I could then get GAP on the vehicle loan, and the interest rate on vehicles is much better than RVs.

We're still debating what to do, I have a couple days before I pick up the TT so I am thinking before I pick insurance.

Really wish USAA had the option on RVs like they do on cars to insure for an additional 20% payout in the event the vehicle is totaled.

2009 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab
2014 33' SOB TT
TheDiGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:02 PM   #7

Ranger, if you have a credit union available to you, they may offer a gap policy for their members.

2014 Salem 27RKSS - 2012 F150.