Old 04-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #21

What happens when they add in 10% ethanol? Doesn't that decrease the power? Are we better off paying more for ethanol free?

Old 04-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #22

My thinking your better without ethanol

Old 04-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #23

With my GMC 6.2 ltr. engine I have experimented both towing and around town for several tanks at a time and using regular and mid-grade which is what the book recommends but says you can use regular. Wife and I are both consertive drivers but notice from 1 to 2 mpg difference (better) when using the mid-grade. So for me I get more bang for the buck using mid-grade, even with lower gas prices it a break even.

Rod
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:11 PM   #24

What is midgrade in your area
Old 04-19-2015, 07:02 PM   #25

We have a Ford Ranger with the 4.0 V6. The owners manual doesnt call for the use of premium, but I decided to run a tank when towing our Clipper 17FQ. Figured it would be best to do it on a trip we had taken before to the same campground for comparison sake. The first thing I noticed was fewer downshifts on roads we had traveled before. The second thing was a 1 mpg increase in mileage averaged for the entire trip.
Is that enough to make it cost effective? Maybe not, but it just feels better from the drivers seat so I plan on continuing it.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:10 AM   #26

I am with you to me gas with no ethanol works better fuel mpg than with ethanol may pay at pump for premium but better power mpg or I put tranny fluid in gas to clean up fuel system and other things up to get better power
Old 04-20-2015, 08:57 AM   #27

on my 2013 ram 1500 with 5.7L hemi i do notice a bit better gas mileage while towing when i us high octane gas. I have tested several time one trip out will use low octane another trip i will use high octane. But i dont think the small amount of boost i get in mileage off sets the higher cost of the gas
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:23 AM   #28

You will notice more of a difference going non ethanol than premium. Ethanol and EPA...what a scam. Look into ethanol issues in storing fuel and older fuel systems (let alone small engines and marine applications).

I for one would like to see a one fuel system with additives for premium requirements. It should drop prices as well.

One of the reasons I went with a 6.4 hemi was the 87 octane only. Now what pulls my chain is 86 rated fuel and oxygenated fuel. CARB needs to stay in California.

We as a nation have went from doing what works to what sounds good.

I always go with what the owners manual states.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:30 PM   #29

Different brands have their own grades of premium. some have ethanol others don't .some have no ethanol. other's have different dditive s. so its all in the gas you get from different store's or station s I know different suppliers. at pipe line have different additives that are different gases in summer they add butane in gas in summertime to save money
Old 04-29-2015, 11:47 PM   #30
CJM

Premium gas is a waste unless your engine requires it. Octane is not a measurement of feel energy, but of how much compression it can take before destination. Higher performance engines often require higher octane due to cylinder compression rates. More compression will generally mean more power. A lot of people think they are buying better fuel because it costs more. . Simply not the case. . You can google octane. . There is a ton of info on the net about how it works. . Regardless, it is a waste if bit required

Tags
gas