Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2014, 07:17 AM   #1

Gas premium vs regular

Is there a difference in gas mileage that would offset the difference in price if I used premium gas instead of regular when hauling my TT?
Old 06-25-2014, 07:28 AM   #2

Look at your owner's manual and see the fuel recommendation. Premium fuel actually burns slower and cooler than 87, so you could actually be blowing out unburned fuel in your exhaust. My TV recommendation is for 87 octane so that's what I'm using. Premium could be even worse for the environment and lower your mileage.
Equalizer 1200 4 pt. Tekonsha controller
Devilscreekw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I doubt it. I never had much of a difference running it in Mazda for highway driving so I doubt you'll probably end up paying more in the long run.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 06-25-2014, 07:30 AM   #4

Premium vs. Regular | Car Talk
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #5

Unless you are using a tuner that is programmed for premium it's not worth it. I use a tuner that has a heavy tow program (over 6000 lbs). It is setup for premium gas. That's when I fill up with it. Other than that I run regular and the 87 octane tune.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF5.4 View Post
Unless you are using a tuner that is programmed for premium it's not worth it. I use a tuner that has a heavy tow program (over 6000 lbs). It is setup for premium gas. That's when I fill up with it. Other than that I run regular and the 87 octane tune.
I agree.
A good tuner can maximize mpg with high octane fuel.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #7

Correct. The engine's computer is PROGRAMMED to burn a certain octane level of fuel. Any other octane level will cost you efficiency. Therefore, a tuner is necessary. Do thorough research, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:10 PM   #8

How do you really know what you're pumping into your tanks?
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #9

I thought newer vehicle were able to adjust spark timing to accommodate what they are running on? Is the computer on new vehicle what you are calling a tuner?

Get rid of the barn door you are pulling and your gas mileage will go up......drag is the enemy along with speed.....as speed increases so does drag-

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2liv View Post
I thought newer vehicle were able to adjust spark timing to accommodate what they are running on? Is the computer on new vehicle what you are calling a tuner?

Get rid of the barn door you are pulling and your gas mileage will go up......drag is the enemy along with speed.....as speed increases so does drag-
They do -ish
A good tuner can maximize fuel economy better tho.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2liv View Post

The computer in the vehicle is usually setup for worst case (bad gas, heavy load...). There are sensors to sense engine knock and adjust accordingly. Some high performance vehicles are tuned from the factory for premium fuel. If you put regular in them the sensors will detect engine knock and back the ignition timing off. I know some people with cars like this and the say they can feel the difference. Most of our gas powered TVs are tuned for regular. (Not sure about the Ecoboost) I have a separate tuner that replaces the factory tune with one that is more aggressive. I do not tow the TT with anything but the tow tune. The regular gas tune is too aggressive. With a heavy load the engine will start knocking. The other thing the tuner does is optimizes the shift points and firmness. It gets rid of the slipping the factory builds in to smooth out the shifts.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF5.4 View Post
The computer in the vehicle is usually setup for worst case (bad gas, heavy load...). There are sensors to sense engine knock and adjust accordingly. Some high performance vehicles are tuned from the factory for premium fuel. If you put regular in them the sensors will detect engine knock and back the ignition timing off. I know some people with cars like this and the say they can feel the difference. Most of our gas powered TVs are tuned for regular. (Not sure about the Ecoboost) I have a separate tuner that replaces the factory tune with one that is more aggressive. I do not tow the TT with anything but the tow tune. The regular gas tune is too aggressive. With a heavy load the engine will start knocking. The other thing the tuner does is optimizes the shift points and firmness. It gets rid of the slipping the factory builds in to smooth out the shifts.

Ford 2.0 EcoBoost with twin Variable camshafts adjust the ECM to max output with 93 octane and detunes as needed for lower octane automatically.

2016 Jeep Cherokee Limited 3.2 V6 factory tow package with WDH.
camrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:07 AM   #13

No, octane changes the burn temperature, it is not "better" gas, it is just formulated differently for a different burn. Higher compression engines will want higher octane so the will not "knock" or prematurely detonate. If you are using regular and you are not knocking, then you are good. If you are knocking go to mid grade and move up if the knocking continues. Air density also plays into it. Hotter less dense air, summer, may allow knocking, cooler denser air, winter may not. See what works best for your vehicle, but don't think paying more give you better gas, that is pure Madison Avenue Marketing!

larryscsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #14

Ok I'm glad to see this question posed. Here's my breakdown: I run a 2011 sierra 5.3 and pull my TT which is +-5500lbs. I also use an engine and trans tuner that's tuned for max pull/power. Now, I find that with regular fuel the trans shifts more than with premium. I believe premium gives that extra power enough to do work before the trans has to downshift to make up for it. I see a difference when pulling so I use it. If anyone complains about fuel mileage while pulling or driving a truck....c'mon you didn't buy either one thinking about fuel mileage. To each their own. I respect everyone's opinion but it comes down to what YOU think is best for you and yours.

Jonathan and Dayna
Salem Cruise Lite 261bhxl
SalemSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #15

Spark ignition engines are designed to burn gasoline in a controlled process called deflagration. In some cases, however, the unburned mixture can autoignite (detonate from pressure and heat alone, rather than ignite from the spark plug at exactly the right time), which causes rapid pressure rise which can damage the engine. This phenomenon is often referred to as engine knocking or end-gas knock. One way to reduce knock in spark ignition engines is to increase the gasoline's resistance to autoignition, which is expressed by its octane rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
larryscsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #16

In my experience it depends on the vehicle. My first TV was a 2001 Nissan Frontier with a 3.0 six and it got slightly better mileage with super than with 87 oct. My current TV is an F150 ecoboost and I get no difference in power or mileage.
bradw661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradw661 View Post
....My current TV is an F150 ecoboost and I get no difference in power or mileage.
There must be at least a slight difference - Ford specifically discloses in the fine print that their Ecoboost torque and horsepower measurements are made with 93 octane gas. While the computers apparently allow the Ecoboost engines (I don't own one) to run just fine on 87 octane, to get the maximum power and torque you will need the 93 octane.

Since most of us never come close to using full throttle on our engines (in autos and trucks), we will never notice the difference.

That is why regular gas in mountain areas is 85, not 87, octane. Without a turbo- or super-charger the maximum power available is dictated by ambient air pressure. At higher altitudes, normally aspirated engines don't need the higher octane because they can't develop maximum power (and gas mileage is better at altitude because of reduced air density).

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #18

Pgand. I suppose there could have been a slight difference but I couldn't tell. Definitely wasn't worth the extra 20 cents per gallon.
bradw661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:04 PM   #19

Gasoline is gasoline. Additives for premium increase the octane rating, or anti-knock rating in simpler terms. Premium fuel produces the same BTUs as regular, but it burns slightly differently. Your computer is adding fuel and changing valve and ignition timing to compensate for the octane rating, and the load.

That barn door's drag doesn't increase with speed... it increases with the square of speed. you're getting 4 times the drag when you double the speed.

My son-in-law says he gets better mileage when towing using premium gas. He very well may be, but not because the fuel produces more power. If true, it's because his computer is adjusting his mixture leaner with the premium fuel. It is plausible. He swears by it...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:44 AM   #20

Gas is not just gas some mine put 60%premium 30%regular10% additive and call it premium
Westielover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas