Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #21

I've had my Honda now 20+ years. Starts on the second pull if it hasn't run in a few months. Quietest generator I've ever heard. Honda's are an investment, and they keep providing returns for many many years. I could sell it tomorrow for at least 1/2 of what I paid for it. But why, it will give me another 20 years with minimum maintenance and expense.
THarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #22

The only problem with that argument is that I can replace a 4K Champion nearly 10 times for the cost of a semi-comparable Honda. The Honda is also louder (71dB vs. 68dB). I don't know, but I can absolutely guarantee a Champion, even if never maintained, will last more than two years each. I'm sure the Honda is a nicer generator, but not at ten times the cost. Also, if you consider the Honda an investment, then I'd hate to see your portfolio Investments are supposed to go up in value
caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #23

My Honda was purchased 8 years before Champion started making generators. The cost was well below your 10X figure. The db rated in the manual is 49-58. The Honda is an inverted, the Champion is not. Champion is fine if you want to power frybabies and the like, sophisticated electronics call for an inverter. Tell me about your Champion in 12 more years. And as for personal finances, no need to go there.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #24
Site Team

Caleb, you fail to mention one fact, that the Champion runs at full speed, all the time, therefore max noise.

a inverter generator will idle at a much lower speed, when charging batteries, lights and fridge and stays at its lower decibel levels.
only when the a/c or microwave or blow dryer are running, does an inverter gennie rev up and get louder.

so, you have to compare the 49-53db of an inverter gennie to the all-the-time 68db of the Champion.

i agree that the Champion offers the most bang for the buck and has great customer service. i almost bought one until the DW said, no generator unless it's quiet as they get. so i got a nearly-new Honda 2000 for $650, from Craig's List. and i don't feel suckered at all. and it weighs half what the Champion weighs.
and, lucky us, it runs our 13.5btu Dometic a/c!

and i've heard the Champion, next to my Honda 2000 and it's way louder.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #25

Bikendan,
No joke you run a 13,5 AC with a 2000 watt Gen? From all I've read I thought it took a min of 2800 watts to start a 13.5. So i went and bought two 2000 watt genny's to run connected? Dang....Did I just waste a bunch of money?
flyinguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

How many ACs, power centers, microwaves, TVs, etc. will need to be replaced before the cheaper cost of a generator with dirty power equals that of an inverter generator ??

Around here, power tools for framing a house are toast after just a few houses built using a construction generator. Don't know why they just go and buy a inverter generator....maybe they don't work as well for that type of application, or it is just cheaper to replace a couple of power saws.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #27

WOW This is a great debate. The fact is you will never convince someone who spent 2000 on a generator that there is a generator for a little over 200 that can do the same job. For someone who needs a gen 1 or 2 times a year and a little bit of creativity on how you direct the sound, 67 db can be put up with very easily.
MREZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #28

Champion is rated at approximately 3 hrs per gallon. Honda 6 hrs per gallon. 1200 hrs is 200 additional gallons of gasoline for the Champion, quite a few more irritated neighbors, and how many fried electical devices? Go into this with your eyes open, and you get what you pay for.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MREZ View Post
WOW This is a great debate. The fact is you will never convince someone who spent 2000 on a generator that there is a generator for a little over 200 that can do the same job. For someone who needs a gen 1 or 2 times a year and a little bit of creativity on how you direct the sound, 67 db can be put up with very easily.
MREZ - Two things - you must not run a 67db generator at a CG very often because you're still here.

I agree that using one at home or when dry camping far from anyone else would be acceptable, but c'mon, there is no way you can "direct the sound" in a typical CG so that your neighbors are willing to put up with 67db. You might not be bothered by it, but I truly hope that I am not camping anywhere near you.

Check out the video that probably everyone who owns a Honda has seen before. 1 minute and 45 seconds into the video is where a construction generator is pushed up to full load (69db). That's LOUD, wouldn't you agree?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #30

Hey I never said the champ was perfect but most of the CG's that dont have power are pretty well spread out and with a few pieces of plywood acting like a cover a 2 doller piece of EMT on the exhaust I used to tick my buddy with the honda off, and it wasnt the sound
MREZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #31

Somewhere you guys have confused the fact that you are comparing a 2000i Honda to a 4000 Champion. Apple to Apples would be the 2000i Champion (73531i)...but this discussion was never about inverter vs. non-inverter. I 100% agree that an inverter generator is the way to go. Since this discussion was started about a 4K Champion, you'd need to compare it to a similar model Honda...again, both putting out dirty power, both louder than an inverter, the only difference is the 10X cost difference for the Honda.

Also, I'd be quite upset camping next to any of you that feel the need to run your generator all day (even if it is an inverter). IMO, the generator should be ran as minimally as possible...you are CAMPING, right??? Since when did the generator become part of the essential camping gear list?
caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #32

Well after much research and pricing and watching videos of generators running wide open, and actually having to camp next to a industrial type generator for a weekend at Dega two years ago, I plunked down $1,929 for the Honda 2000 & it's companion. Yes, it's a pile of money. However I think the quality of a Honda outweighs the others. I believe I'll save money on reduced gas consumption over time. I believe I'll extend the life of my electronics and appliances. I believe the sheer convenience of being able to use one genny when the A/C isn't needed in the cooler months is pretty nice. But the main reason I went with the quieter Honda is because I don't want to be "That !@#$%&*? in the next campsite over". For those of you who have camped at a NASCAR race and have heard the campground come to life about 7:00am, you know what I mean.

Speaking of NASCAR, I'll be seeing some of you at Dega next weekend. We'll be in Winners Walk I with #4, #5, #14, & #99 flags flying proudly.