Old 03-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
Generator purchase - Champion 4000?

Hi all,

First of all this forum has been immensly helpful with finding information to assist us with the purchase of our TT (on order). So thank you to everyone who participates!

My husband and I are now researching generators. We almost had a heart attack a few nights ago, when looking at the prices for the much respected Hondas and Yamahas. We are purchasing this TT so that we can vacation affordably with our 5 year old. The investment is already maxing our budget, and we really had no idea about generator costs before this. We cannot afford the Honda or Yamaha. After several hours at the computer, I ran across the Champion 4000. It seems to be well reviewed across all consumer reviews I have seen. It's sub $400, readily available and 10db louder than the Honda/Yamaha versions. Now I don't know what 10 db means in progression of volume increase. And I am not sure if it justifies the increase in price for the other brands. I grew up in the rural coastal mountains of California. We often lost power and the generator we had, you couldn't hear each other in the house over that sucker. It was LOUD. So went the generator my grandfather had in his Class C. The sound almost rocked the RV. I can see generators have come a looooong way, now purring instead of roaring.

From what I have seen there are a lot of full timers and others who really feel it's important to keep the sound down. I agree!! I just have nothing to compare sound to, and I am not sure if the Champion will be a nuisance to my neighbors. Enough to avoid the unit.

Thanks to all. Sorry for being wordy, my husband is at work and my coffee is kicking in.

Happytrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
Hi there
We purchased the powerhouse gen from our dealer with our trailer and we love it. Not too loud and comes with a remote start.
We orig ordered the 2700 which is 2600 watts but they messed up the order and gave us the 3500 instead.
What's nice about the 2700 model is you can tether them together like the Honda and it's more wattage and about 900.

Both models have remote start

svamarlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
The champion will be like the one you had in California. You get what you pay for. If you purchase a $400 genny you get a $400 genny if you pay for a Honda you get a Honda. If you do not plan on boondocking you will not need a genny.
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
We will be doing some boondocking. So 60 db for the honda vs 68 for the champion is enough of a breaking point?
Old 03-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #5

We just bought the Champion 3500. I did some research and found quite a bit of positive feedback on several websites from many different users. The camper related discussion boards praised it the most.

Cabela's has them on sale right now, in their bargain cave. With the sale price and an online coupon, I paid under $300 delivered and it was at my door in three days. I put gas and oil in it last Saturday and gave it a half hearted pull just to turn the motor over and it started right up. I found it much quieter than a typical lawn mower. If I need it to be quieter, I will build a box for it with forced air for cooling.

I don't work for Cabelas or Champion, matter of fact I had never heard of Champion before I saw them on sale. I did find that they are sold in many big box places like Lowes and Tractor Supply.
t.simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
Wanna Be Camper
Just a point of reference. Every 3db douples the sound level. My EU3000is Honda runs from 48 to 58 db depending on load and speed. Also gets up to 20hrs on a tank of fuel which we have done more than once. We keep it chained in the box of our truck and you can barely hear it running and can easily carry on a conversation beside it. At one camp site we stayed at last summer a few people had other gennies that you could hear very loud 1000' away. You do get what you pay for.
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
My in-laws have offered to help purchase a generator, I will continue to research and maybe find a used Honda. I do hear what you are all saying.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
You need to seriously consider obtaining a generator/inverter. Several of your on-board items, like Microwaves, Modern TV's etc, do not like the raw power provided by the cheap, non-inverter generators. Also if you want to plug your lap-top or other computer type devices into your trailer power, they will require the smooth power of the generator/inverter. Don't ask me how I know this LOL.

When we were researching a replacement for our el cheapo non-inverter generator (also had severe budget restrictions) we eventually settled on the Boliy Pro3600SIE. You can find info by googling it.

VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
Champion are cheap grade gennys. The have several issues with voltage spikes( as noted earlier for electronics). They also don't run worth a crap at higher altitudes.
2011 Ram Laramie
2010 Rockwood 8319ss
2010 Polaris sportman 300(wife's)
2005 Polaris sportman 500HO (mine)

trailraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
Last year we purchased a Champion 2000 Watt Inverter Gen. (Was on sale at Costco) So far so good, it runs well (even at 7000 feet) and is reasonable quiet. All we use it for is to charge the trailer battery as well as the camera and laptop batteries. It will run small kitchen appliances but of course not the A/C.

So, it all depends on what you want it to do.

Heinrich and Elly
2010 Prime Time Tracer 205M
2010 Dodge Dakota Crewcab 4.7 l

photog is offline   Reply With Quote