Old 10-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #21

Generator Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidaho View Post
Very new to trailer camping and wondering if Generators are necessary purchases if I intend to use the RV parks with hookups? Not planning on doing too much "Dry Camping" so If I don't need to spend $1000 I certainly won't unless any one here has guidance....
Hello,
I'm new to this as well & came up with the same question.
Since most of our trips are only for a couple of nights I felt we could do with the battery. However each 4th of July we head up to the Mendocino coast to our favorite place that has no hookups for 5 days (always been in a tent).
My solution was to rent one for that trip. Local tool shop rents Honda 2000's for $150 a week. It would take a few years renting to offset a purchase...
Just a thought.

Celicabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celicabob View Post
Hello,
Since most of our trips are only for a couple of nights I felt we could do with the battery. However each 4th of July we head up to the Mendocino coast to our favorite place that has no hookups for 5 days (always been in a tent).
My solution was to rent one for that trip. Local tool shop rents Honda 2000's for $150 a week. It would take a few years renting to offset a purchase...
Just a thought.

Good idea!

kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celicabob View Post
Hello,
Just a thought.
Looking at it from a view based on money, storage, & maintance it just makes sense to rent than to buy for my style of camping. But I wasn't as lucky to find a rental near your price. So far the only place I found that rented generators wanted $75 per night.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #24

Just spent two days without hookups, followed by nine with hookups. We made it just fine with the battery. We took another marine battery with us, but we really didn't need it. Did miss the TV and microwave, though. Funny....we camped for 20+ years in a tent and didn't have the creature comforts and now that we've had a TT for five months I can't seem to live without them! I'm getting soft....
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
Just spent two days without hookups, followed by nine with hookups. We made it just fine with the battery. We took another marine battery with us, but we really didn't need it. Did miss the TV and microwave, though. Funny....we camped for 20+ years in a tent and didn't have the creature comforts and now that we've had a TT for five months I can't seem to live without them! I'm getting soft....
I hear ya! I never had a TV ever while camping until this TT, now I'm bummed when I don't get a good signal. I should have removed it when I first got the TT, then I wouldn't have missed it.