Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #1

Getting plates in Kentucky on out of state purchase

Not sure if this is the section to put this in. If not please have a moderator move it.
I'll try to keep this as short as I can. Purchased our trailer new about a month ago now. It was a couple weeks before I could get it home.
Once it was here I went a got my insurance then a few days later went to get the plates. I was then informed I had to have my trailer inspected by the state fire marshal before I could tag it. I won't go into how stupid I thought that was, but after looking around a few rv sites it seemed to be true.
Fine. I call and set up an appointment and burn a days vacation to be home. At least he came to me! The inspection was a joke. He didn't even light the stove. He pushed the test button on the smoke alarm, noted there was a fire extinguisher, and checked to see that the propane bottle was turned off and the connection was tight. By hand. Sixty bucks later I have another sticker on the side of the trailer and a piece of paper.
With this in hand I go back to the courthouse to get the plates. Which I finally did get. But the person that waited on me today was someone different. And she asked who told me to get it inspected to which I replied
it was someone here. Matter of fact it was whoever resides in that empty seat across from you. She then proceeded to tell me that I did not need that inspection. They just changed that this year to only used trailer from out of state, not new ones.
I'm mad as h**l but I'm sure the fight to try and get that sixty bucks back won't be worth it.
So to all you out there, if you live in Kentucky and purchase a new travel trailer out of state, BEWARE! If they tell you to get a fire marshal inspection ask to speak to someone else.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
B47

Don't blame you one bit for being ticked off. Just another example of why no one should believe or go by anything involving law or regulations that is given verbally.

Always take the time to look up anything that's told to you to be law or regulation (Federal,State or Local). If it's a law or regulation,it's got to be written down someplace.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #3

I just went though the same process (but was fortunate enough to be able to reason with them on the inspection.) The DMV is a royal pain to deal with under any circumstances - it's all down to who you get to talk to, sadly...

- Randy
Old 04-09-2014, 01:50 AM   #4

I'm glad I didn't have that problem. Bought mine in Indiana, and here in Daviess County, I just wizzed on through. Even 7 years ago when I bought my PUP there was no problem.
mlangdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #5

We bought our current RV in Indiana 2 yrs ago & had to get the inspection. I thought it was a joke & so did the inspector. I was told it was a state requirement.

I was also informed the state had passed a new tax law the previous month, that required sales tax to be paid on the full purchase price verses sales tax on the balance after trade in. This applied only on new purchases outside the state. I always wondered what our legislature really did since they don't really spend time representing us. Now I know, they think up creative ways to get more tax money.
Goukcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:50 PM   #6

Update

I decided to send a letter to the county clerk explaining what had happened under her watch.
She actually called me today! Told me she had received my letter and agreed
that they did indeed owe me $60 for causing me to get an inspection that
wasn't required. Check is in the mail!
I honestly expected nothing. Nice to see someone doing the right thing, especially in an elected office.
Needless to say, she has my vote next election!
Old 04-11-2014, 10:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenrod View Post
I decided to send a letter to the county clerk explaining what had happened under her watch.
She actually called me today! Told me she had received my letter and agreed
that they did indeed owe me $60 for causing me to get an inspection that
wasn't required. Check is in the mail!
I honestly expected nothing. Nice to see someone doing the right thing, especially in an elected office.
Needless to say, she has my vote next election!

Would you like to buy a bridge with that "in the mail" check??

Here is a picture if you like.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:37 AM   #8

I purchased, my shamrock out of state, then was told that I had to have a VIN number inspection prior to registering. I would have to hitch it up and tow it down to the DMV office. Really? I looked into it, and it turns out there's a form that can be filled out and notarized that serves the same purpose. Like you said, it pays to do your homework when it comes to the DMV.
2014 Chevy Express 3500
castlemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:51 AM   #9

The problem with the DMV in Kentucky is there's no consistency in the clerks offices. More than once, I have been told different "requirements" from different people when registering vehicles. Normally I look for the oldest person working. That seems to make a difference.
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #10
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlemusic View Post
I purchased, my shamrock out of state, then was told that I had to have a VIN number inspection prior to registering. I would have to hitch it up and tow it down to the DMV office. Really? I looked into it, and it turns out there's a form that can be filled out and notarized that serves the same purpose. Like you said, it pays to do your homework when it comes to the DMV.
Yep - if it's a regulation or law,it's written down someplace and in today's world,should be retrievable via the Internet.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Would you like to buy a bridge with that "in the mail" check??

Here is a picture if you like.

Got the check Saturday!
Old 04-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #12

Bought my Motorhome (used) in Southern Indiana and they showed me the KY inspection sticker at PDI. So, I presume it is required.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #13

Bought my FR3 in St. Louis and had insurance before i picked it up....
Not sure how/why anyone would take ownership and move it without insurance first...see OP because that s what jumped out to me. You state you brought it home then put insurance on it.

Registered with DMV, paid the taxes on it and done. Only inspection was $5 to have sheriffs dept ( same building as dmv) check and record the VIN.

Fire dept not required on new vehicle/ trailers.

/ insurance first...dont even have to own it to insure it. Just sayin.
zippyzrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #14

Going to pick up my pup from Ohio on Friday (Insured it today). I hope it goes as smooth as zippy's experience when I back here in Anderson Co.
Strut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:17 PM   #15
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyzrx View Post
Bought my FR3 in St. Louis and had insurance before i picked it up....
Not sure how/why anyone would take ownership and move it without insurance first...see OP because that s what jumped out to me. You state you brought it home then put insurance on it.

Registered with DMV, paid the taxes on it and done. Only inspection was $5 to have sheriffs dept ( same building as dmv) check and record the VIN.

Fire dept not required on new vehicle/ trailers.

/ insurance first...dont even have to own it to insure it. Just sayin.
I called my insurance agent as the lady was completing my paperwork when I purchased the Flagstaff - gave him the VIN, drove down the road already covered.

On the Clerks/DMV deal - I guess that's ONE good thing about this stupid state I live in - ALL of the DMV's are run by the State and you'll get the same surly answer from any of the employees, from Salisbury to LaVale.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:54 PM   #16

Same thing happened to me. I had to call twice to ask. The second lady checked to see (after a prompt from me) and said no fire inspection needed (or VIN inspection either).

So a big 'Thanx" to you guys!
Old 01-26-2015, 08:14 PM   #17

Glad to hear you'll be getting you $60 back - although no compensation for the time and frustration.

Worst DMV I've seen was in New Mexico. The clerks go out of their way to not help you. When we bought a new car from a dealer in Colorado they (NM DMV) told me I needed a VIN inspection from their in house guy - but he wasn't in so come back. Second trip she looks out the window and says "We don't do VIN inspections during inclement weather". I looked out the window and saw a single snowflake! Third trip the VIN guy is there, no rain, snow, flying monkeys, etc so I should be good to go. The VIN guy takes one look at the bill of sale and says "Oh, we don't have to do a VIN inspection on new cars"!!

And that's but one reason why I now live in Colorado!

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote