Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #1

Gift Cards: To carry money RVing or Traveling

In the past, I used Travelers Checks, when traveling. But, they are hard to get cashed and don't work like they used to. Gift Cards are more popular now.

While you can buy most anything, you can't get cash from GCs. Yet another disadvantage I see, is if you don't use them all up when traveling, you can't put the money left, back into your account. GCs expire after a while. Am EX Travelers Checks do not expire. GCs are not protected from unauthorized use like Travelers Checks are either.

Anyone know of a GC that can be password protected and does not expire? That way I could use it on the next trip or a trip 2 yrs from now.
Reformed_Stockbroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #2

I can't help you with a gift card. Are you off-the-grid for some reason? Otherwise I would just use a debit card.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #3

Haven't ever used travelers checks and wouldn't bother with gift cards either. I almost never carry cash, just credit cards. If stolen or lost you can call your card issuer and just cancel it (we carry two different cards, from two different companies - one with me and one with the DW). They will also alert you for fraudulent purchases, provide some level of protection on fraudulent purchases, additional insurance in some cases, and you can withdraw cash if necessary. With the right card you can get rewards like cash back, airline miles, or hotel points as well. The only tip I would offer on credit cards is use them and pay the balance off each month. That's when the benefits of the extras really kick in, otherwise you are buying the cash back or whatever your reward might be with the interest you are paying each month.

If you choose not to use credit cards than, debit cards work to and some credit cards will provide virtual account numbers for use online.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
Always Learning

We use a lot of gift cards - mostly because my daughter's school uses them as a fundraiser. You buy gift cards for face value and a portion of the cost goes to the school. It's a pretty neat program that doesn't cost us any money but the school gets a benefit.

You're right about the lack of protection nor the safety if you lose them.

That said- I don't know many that expire any more. There was a stretch of time where they did, but generally most don't any more.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #5

Where did you have difficulty cashing a Travelers Check?? They are supposed to be as liquid as cash and accepted everywhere. I've never used them while camping, but traveling out of the country ie...Los Angeles, never had an issue.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Happy Keystone Owner

In the last 10 years or so I use nothing more than my debit card. Normally start the trip with about $300 in my pocket for convenience of smaller purchases. I was trying cash for fuel but that turned into a pain in the butt at the stations that won't allow pumping without paying first. Travelers checks are out dated....
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
That said- I don't know many that expire any more. There was a stretch of time where they did, but generally most don't any more.
Most don't expire however there is usually an annual cost if not depleted to handle ongoing administration and maintenance costs associated with keeping them active and overall program maintenance. You can read this on the fine print of the card and you pay for the first years worth when purchased (also called an activation charge). Usually a buck or two every year.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2006/...s.fees/10.html
Old 12-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCCowboy View Post
Most don't expire however there is usually an annual cost if not depleted to handle ongoing administration and maintenance costs associated with keeping them active and overall program maintenance. You can read this on the fine print of the card and you pay for the first years worth when purchased (also called an activation charge). Usually a buck or two every year. http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2006/...s.fees/10.html
To be honest, I was only really thinking of store cards which are generally fee free (that I'm aware of and the article agrees). I'm curious if the Visa and MasterCard gift/pre-paid cards still have activation and usage fees since that article in 2006 (which is about when I remember there being a brouhaha over credit card fees and what not).
Old 12-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
To be honest, I was only really thinking of store cards which are generally fee free (that I'm aware of and the article agrees). I'm curious if the Visa and MasterCard gift/pre-paid cards still have activation and usage fees since that article in 2006 (which is about when I remember there being a brouhaha over credit card fees and what not).
Yeah, the laws were reformed slightly after that article was written, but fees still apply. Here is one from end of 2012 beginning of 2013. Look at the bottom of the article. It outlines some of the fees with several gift cards....
http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/20/pf/gift-card-fees/
Old 12-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #10

I'd go with a PayPal acct. Then get their debit card. You can keep a minimum balance of whatever you want in it, and transfer money from your bank into it. There's a couple day lag when you transfer cash from the bank to the paypal acct. So set up a second paypal acct without a debit card using a different email address. Keep a higher balance in that, and you can "recharge" your paypal debit card anytime, instantly.
Hath,
B.

2008 Forest River Micro-Lite 18FBR
2000 Ford Explorer Sports Trac
WBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCCowboy View Post
Yeah, the laws were reformed slightly after that article was written, but fees still apply. Here is one from end of 2012 beginning of 2013. Look at the bottom of the article. It outlines some of the fees with several gift cards.... http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/20/pf/gift-card-fees/
Thanks QC. Good read.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #12

My thoughts on this one are:

Credit cards are the most secure way to go here.

If you need to buy something and the store takes travelers checks...they WILL take credit cards.

Likewise, they probably also take debit cards.

If it's just to cash out spending money, it's easier to find an ATM than someone to cash the checks.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #13

Our bank does not charge me a fee to use an out-of-state ATM that is part of the Cash+ or Sirus networks, and most WalMarts now have an ATM that is fee-free. Most of our purchases on the road a made with credit cards, but if we need additional cash, we can get it without paying any ATM fees.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:43 AM   #14

I also used to carry traveler's checks. I'm so old that I did this before VISA and Mastercards were common, and you had to carry a card for each gas company!

I have received VISA "gift cards" as rebates for purchases. These are hard to use. They can usually only be used for merchandise, not for gas, groceries, or restaurant meals. One store was able to take one for a purchase, but it was denied for a later purchase, even though there was plenty of credit left.

I think multiple credit cards and/or debit cars are a better way to go. I agree with a previous response that it's good to have several in case one account is hacked. We travel for several months at a time so getting a new card would be a hassle.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBrian View Post
I'd go with a PayPal acct. Then get their debit card. You can keep a minimum balance of whatever you want in it, and transfer money from your bank into it. There's a couple day lag when you transfer cash from the bank to the paypal acct. So set up a second paypal acct without a debit card using a different email address. Keep a higher balance in that, and you can "recharge" your paypal debit card anytime, instantly.
Hath,
B.
I opened a debit card at my bank just for when we did our Bucket List Vaca this year. Closed it when we came home. I also have a PayPal acct and funneled money into it for several months before we stated our trip. We made sure to use them as Credit Cards. We also had 200 in cash for emergencies.

Tips: I read somewhere to make photo copies of the front and back of your Credit Cards and Debit Cards and put in a safe place. Easier then having to get online or calling and get phones numbers to report lost/stolen cards.
mkford1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #16

Green Dot or Other Type of Pre-Loaded Card

Someone mentioned PayPal, but I despise their "delay" in transferring funds, and the fees they often charge.

You might be interested in a similar product called "Green Dot". It is a visa card that you pre-load with money using cash. You can load it at certain stores or over the phone.

You can withdraw cash from ATMs or run it as a credit card.

There are fees associated with it, but it has been a while since I have looked into them. Here is a link https://www.greendot.com/greendot

That said, I would just carry a regular credit card or debit card. To me it is not worth the hassle of having to load money from one account to another and track it. Either way you still have to have a "regular" account to load it up be it paypal or green dot or whatever.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #17

I use cash for most all small purchases. I get more cash with fee free ATM's. I have been to my old bank when their system was down and couldn't get cash from ATM, so I went into the bank to cash a check and was told no because their system was down and all they could do was take your deposit and when the system came back they would send you a receipt. Never had any issues with cash.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #18

I haven't used traveler's checks, even traveling internationally, since 1997. I use my credit and debit card for everything. Just get yourself a prepaid debit card from, well, anywhere. Walmart, Paypal, Target, etc.
bitNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #19

We use Credit Cards for just about everything from on the road expense, to food in the belly. Pay home utility bills and insurance in the same way. When the bill comes we pay it in full and repeat the entire process.

If you use the right card the benefits do accumulate with time.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #20
Site Team

Looks like a lot of good suggestions have been provided. All options seem to have some pros & cons. As you can tell there's not an single answer that would be best for all. Review your options and then give it a try to see what does work best for you.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel