Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #1

Gift Certificate for Dealer's Camp Store

What would you buy?

This is our first RV so we have nothing. What items do we definetly need that we should use this gift certificate for?
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:29 PM   #2

Sewer hose, wheel chocks, water pressure regulator, white rv drinking water hose, satellite dish, anything really cause it's an extension of your house. Don't forget rv toilet paper!
Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #3

Just be careful, most basic dealer store items can be purchased at WalMart for alot cheaper. I'd go with something that isn't available at WM like a roof vent cover.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Just be careful, most basic dealer store items can be purchased at WalMart for alot cheaper. I'd go with something that isn't available at WM like a roof vent.
x2.. get the more specialty stuff that wouldn't be available are regular stores like WM, Home Depot, Lowe's, or Target.

2014 Tracer Ultra Lite 2670BHS
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5.7L Hemi
Camping Trips 2014 - 3 trips, 7 nights
Camping Trips 2015 - 2 trips, 4 nights
(7 more trips planned)
LaxRef93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:39 AM   #5

Walmart and AMAZON are where I do a lot of my RV shopping.
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPP View Post
Walmart and AMAZON are where I do a lot of my RV shopping.
We probably will too after we use up this gift certificate.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:41 PM   #7
Site Team

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, they have some great rubber wheel chocks that you can find on sale a lot of times for $5. These things are a lot more sturdier than the plastic ones, which depending on the type, I have actually seen get crushed......and you can use your gift certificate for other necessities.

You won't crush the solid rubber Harbor Freight ones.

Rubber Wheel Chock - Save on this Solid Rubber Wheel Chock

And ALWAYS chock your RV before unhooking from the tow vehicle. I have seen a few trailers roll away because the owner forgot to do this....including one of my camping friends. It bent her tongue jack and ruined a stabilizer, as her trailer rolled. Even when you think you are on level ground, chock those wheels.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
Site Team

We bought a set of these:

We figured it was "free" money and spent it on something we normally wouldn't have bought. Although at the time it was our third camper and we already had pretty much every thing we needed.

When we got a gift certificate for buying our current camper we bought a 25 ft extension cord and a 50A to 30A dogbone adapter.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose83 View Post
What would you buy?

This is our first RV so we have nothing. What items do we definetly need that we should use this gift certificate for?
My dealer threw in a RV starter kit like below when I picked up my trailer. It has several of the needed items. You may want to make sure you don't have one too, before purchasing items.

Amazon.com: Valterra (K88205) EZ Coupler RV Accessory Starter Kit: Automotive

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #10

Paper towel holder (Camco Pop-A-Towel is what we settled on) and maybe a couple of extra levels...depends on how big the gift certificate is. If it's a nice hefty one, maybe put it towards a surge protector.

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
2005 Honda Element (toad)
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.
widogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by widogmom View Post
Paper towel holder (Camco Pop-A-Towel is what we settled on) and maybe a couple of extra levels...depends on how big the gift certificate is. If it's a nice hefty one, maybe put it towards a surge protector.
We can't have anything that has to be drilled....Hubs is a computer programmer...doesn't have any handy skills and I'm only slightly better.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose83 View Post
We can't have anything that has to be drilled....Hubs is a computer programmer...doesn't have any handy skills and I'm only slightly better.
The paper towel holder is two screws...I didn't drill; marked with pencil and poked pilot holes with an awl. Went into cabinet under the TV (they give you nice short screws). My DH is a computer dude, too, but we used to have a cabin and both picked up some basics out of self-defense. Still, there's lots of adhesive-type add-ons to choose from, and the Duck brand silly-putty type adhesive works well, too. Good luck!

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
2005 Honda Element (toad)
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.
widogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #13

I feel like we need so many things and most of them I don't know what they are or what to do with them or even why I need them Starting to feel like I picked the wrong major in college
Old 06-03-2015, 08:01 AM   #14

Hi Rednose83. As you can see, the list of items is almost endless. You can get a whole assortment of items at WalMart. I opted for the 50A extension cable with my gift certificate because a 50A was not available at WM.
Probably the best option is to make a list and go from there.
Regards, Al
Al Fiallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:35 PM   #15

I too was given a modest amount to spend. I opted to "buy" a set of insect screens for all the appliance vents. Mud daubers and other insects are attracted to those holes and buying at the dealer insures they have the sizes needed for the brand.
metalsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:18 PM   #16

We ended up buying a water filter and hose.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:36 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Use it on vent covers and bug guard screens to protect your fridge, furnace and water heater vents from things like mud daubers. A surge protector is a must, get a portable one and use a padlock on the electric box to protect it. No drilling or handy work needed. Use Wal-Mart or Amazon or other online sources to get things like server hose (get rhino brand), clear sewer elbow, fresh water hose, chocks (get these before your trailer comes home) , levelers (i.e. lynx levelers or Anderson levelers) and water pressure regulator (really cheap at Wal-Mart).

As for not being handy, it is time to learn. My DH is not handy either but he is learning, a little say time. Also, don't waste your money on rv toilet paper, any septic safe toilet paper is fine. Angel soft works very well. Don't waste your money on toilet chemicals either. Just use a good black tank manage program like the geo method.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:54 AM   #18

We just bought odds and ends. Made sure the bill was as close to $25 as possible. (Gift card amount.)
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost, Supercab
etothepii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, dealer