Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2018, 03:22 PM   #1
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

GMC OnStar Renewal 50% Disc. Promotion

This message should only be of interest to owners of GMC and/or Chevy Tow Vehicles.

The gist of this message is to let others know of an unadvertised promotion and how to call and manipulate thru 2 cancellation levels to get it. The promo stacks an additional 30% off the best standard deal as published on the OnStar website. For instance, the most expensive "OnStar Guidance Plan"that includes taxes and all possible features drops 50% to $19.25 from standard monthly $38.50. Same 50% off works for lower level OnStar plans also

If that interests you then please read on into this very long message.

Please resist the urge to reply to this message explaining how cell phones have better guidance and the mapping is free or other very valid points. I know and we use our Google Maps and Waze as our first choice. OnStar is handy and its nice to be able to press the button while driving and have a live person re-route me or find gas without me having to take my concentration off driving. The stolen recovery option also saves on insurance.

BACKGROUND - When my 2015 GMC 2500HD was new I got a 3 Year OnStar Guidance Plan. If you didn't already know GMC offers 4 OnStar plans. The Basic Plan is Free for 5 years and only provides advanced diagnostics and remote access. The other 3 plans can be purchased monthly auto bill or PrePay for 1,2 or 3 years. Check this website link: GMC OnStar Plans if you want to know the nuances of all 3.

The one everyone gets as their free trial when buying a new truck is also the most expensive plan named "Guidance Plan". It includes Turn-by-Turn Guidance, Truck enabled WiFi and a phone number for your truck so you can make calls if your cell phone is out of reach (30 mins call time per month) plus other stuff. So I checked the website and decided that I didn't want to pay that outrageous $34.99 monthly fee nor was I interested in paying the $1000 plus taxes for a 3 year plan to get the measly 20% discount.

Guidance Plan sells for $34.99 a month (vs "Protection Plan $19.99" or "Security Plan $24.99"). If you do one of the yearly prepay plans you get roughly a 20% discount off those prices.

LEVEL 1 CANCEL CALL - I called to cancel(888)466-7827. After going thru the prompts I was connected to a charming foreign agent (it could have been India or the Philippines, not sure). She offered the expensive $34.99 plan for $19.99 (plus taxes) for 6 months and then I could cancel. I hate having to remember to call back in 6 months, I said no I want to change to 5 Year Free basic. Fine she said, I'll transfer you.

LEVEL 2 CANCEL CALL - This time I was told they have a current Promo going on where you get 6 months for the price of 3 months, i.e. 50% discount off list. You can buy that deal in as many increments as you want. I bought 4 of them (i.e. paid 12 months to get 24 months). The charge came thru my credit card as 4 separate charges and I got emailed 4 invoices, each showing a future 6 month period. I could have gone for 3 Years but I plan to trade trucks in 2.

Compared to Monthly Subscription billing SAVED $462.
Compared to Standard 2 Year Prepay still SAVED $285.

At the end of the day, it's $19.25 a month vs. $38.50 (includes tax) and for me that 50% discount made it acceptable.

If you want to get OnStar for your truck:
  • Call (888)466-7827,select option to cancel/renew.
  • Tell the agent you want to go to the 5 Year Free Basic,
  • Then when transferred ask for the Buy 3, Get 3 Free Promo
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:50 PM   #2

I have basic Onstar in a Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback (our toad). I do not like it that it sends information back to Chevy. Information like the number of times the vehicle exceeded 80mph (speed limit in Montana IS 80mph). Also the number of times it sensed hard braking (I like to avoid the deer) and hard acceleration (I occasionally do pass other vehicles - especially slow(er) RVs ) on the two lane.

I can only imagine what the lawyers would do if they saw that information in some kind of accident law suit.

It's also a poor design with the controls on the rear view mirror. Twice I have activated the emergency call - once when cleaning the mirror and once when flipping the mirror to nighttime.

I plan on disabling the thing entirely one of these days.

Your info on the Promo will most likely help some people save money.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Mike, I understand your reservations. For a few years I had Mercedes Benz similar product "mBrace" and it was horrible to say the least. Not even close on features and when you activated mBrace it made loud, nasty noises while connecting. I have the OnStar top level Guidance plan and it was these other good things that attracted me to keeping OnStar.
  • Advanced Diagnostics - Your vehicle can run a thorough check of your engine, transmission and more
  • OnStar Smart Driver - Maximize vehicle performance by learning how to drive smarter.
  • Remote Access - Remotely lock and unlock your doors, flash the lights and honk the horn, or start your car.
  • Automatic Crash Response - If you're in a crash, built-in sensors can alert an OnStar Advisor immediately.
  • Emergency Services - OnStar Advisors can direct first responders to your location and notify family members 24/7 in an emergency.
  • Crisis Assist - Provides critical assistance in severe weather conditions or a crisis.
  • Roadside Assistance - OnStar can send Allstate Roadside assistance to your exact location with just the push of a button.
  • Location Manager - With Vehicle Locate, GMC’s mobile app can easily show the vehicle’s location on a map.
  • Stolen Vehicle Assistance - If vehicle is stolen, OnStar works with authorities for safe vehicle recovery. Auto insurance is discounted if you have this feature.
  • Hands-Free Calling - Keep your eyes on the road and stay connected when your cell phone isn't available.
  • Turn-by-Turn Navigation - Push a button and a live person responds, builds your direction map and downloads it to your vehicle even while you are driving.
  • OnStar 4G LTE and Wi-Fi® hotspot - Since 2016, you can activate Wi-Fi and Hot Spot in your vehicle using the OnStar network.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:05 PM   #4

I realize the advantages of it. I get an email every month telling me what my tire pressures are and if my oil needs changing. A couple months ago I had a check engine light and got an email telling me I needed to take it in to a dealer to get it fixed.

Basically, it gave me information that I already new - but I do see the value for a lot of people.

My intent was not to bad mouth the service, I meant to just give reasons why I don't personally care for it as I do my own maintenance and my own monitoring.

That and I am kind of a privacy nut.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #5

This is perfect timing, my free time on guidance is up on the 23rd and I was going to get the security plan, that will be worth it now for sure.

2008 Dodge Durango retired
2015 Salem cruise lite 195bh retired
2021 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26dbh
daybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Well I for one will never buy it as it's to expensive and there are to many other options available that are a lot cheaper and even free once you buy own your GPS and cell phone. And if you think they never loose a signal think again. Only On star I have is free do the the vehicle I bought and its good for 3 years and gives me all the vehicle stats once a month. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:20 PM   #7

We have had OnStar for many years. Used it a couple times for road service. I do like some of the features such as the monthly report and when service is due. Door unock, theft protection and accident response were other great feature we never had to use. We had the payment for the services tied to our checking account. And we used the Silverado for long trips.

Comes April 2017 and we are notified by OnStar that we have sold our Silverado and thus they are cancelling the OnStar. Now that is efficiency!
Except that the Silverado is still parked in our garage.

In the winter of 2016-2017, we took the motor home south along with a Jeep toad. While we were gone, the Silverado battery gave up the ship. We replaced the battery when we got back. But how that equates to we sold our Silverado has me baffled. I sent them a couple of emails after that explaining the situation. They never responded.

We now have two residences and fly between them. The Silverado is parked in the garage for 6 months. It is hard to justify paying for annual service with limited use otherwise.

If we were still using the Silverado on long trips, we would stay with OnStar. The one problem with OnStar is the limitation of 1 vehicle per subscription. We have a simple emergency service plan that covers any vehicle we own or are a passenger in. So, we really haven't missed OnStar.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:28 PM   #8
MCTroy

Thank you for this advise. I plan to call because I like Instar. I travel alone frequently and I likevtgst someone always knows where the car, hopefully me, is located. If I put the car in a ditch they can find me! Thanks!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:41 AM   #9

i have onstar and have had for many of years on several vehicles i just have the base plan but that allows me to use the remote start app off my phone when at work as the key fob wont reach that far to the parking lot

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #10

I don’t use OnStar except with an app on my phone. The wanted me to give them a credit card number when they requested that I call them. I told to wait and see if I use it before I would give them a credit card number. I’ve driven for 53 years without them. I don’t think I need them now.
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:02 PM   #11
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeirlessr View Post
I don’t use OnStar except with an app on my phone. The wanted me to give them a credit card number when they requested that I call them. I told to wait and see if I use it before I would give them a credit card number. I’ve driven for 53 years without them. I don’t think I need them now.
X 2 With all the other tech out there who needs it. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #12

Screw onstar and big brother spying on me . If I could take it out of my vehicles I would . I also hate the way GM has every computerized aspect of your onstar equipped vehicle tied into the onstar computer to the point if the onstar itself crapped out it could shut you down in the middle of nowhere or on a mountain road some place dangerous . Ive always been a GM guy but latley im starting to hate GM too .

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #13

My GPS and phone are not going to call if I crash and can't move, nor are they going to track down my car if it's stolen. For me it's worth the cost for others maybe not so much.

2008 Dodge Durango retired
2015 Salem cruise lite 195bh retired
2021 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26dbh
daybreak is offline   Reply With Quote