Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2016, 09:04 PM   #1

Good Sam fuel discount

I purchased a Good Sam membership while shopping at CW to get the discount and use the campground discount when we start traveling some in the spring. I was curious about the fuel discount. How does it work? Do I have to use my membership card when I purchase the fuel or do I have to get the flying j credit card? My wife and I are planning some trips next summer and the fuel discount would be nice.
Stikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:15 PM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

You need to apply for the Pilot/Flying J credit card also. Depending on your membership with Good Sam depends on the amount of fuel discount you get. Life membership gives me 6cents a gallon I think normal gives you 3 cents. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 02:03 AM   #3

I didn't apply for the credit card and I get .03/gallon on fuel and .05 on propane.
Bako88fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikman View Post
I purchased a Good Sam membership while shopping at CW to get the discount and use the campground discount when we start traveling some in the spring. I was curious about the fuel discount. How does it work? Do I have to use my membership card when I purchase the fuel or do I have to get the flying j credit card? My wife and I are planning some trips next summer and the fuel discount would be nice.

The discount you get is accounted for in the overpriced purchases you make at CW/FJ, the GS dues, and in the interest you might pay using the FJ credit card.

No matter if its CW/FJ, the local grocery chain, convenience store or gas station, or anywhere else, those discount programs are not truly discounts. That cost is figured into the equation somewhere. There is no free lunch and never has been. My wife must have 75 of those discount fobs on her key ring, I have none. Totally a waste of time to me scanning those things. A much better route is the right cash back or rewards credit card. Think about it, even if you're going out of the way to FJ and filling up your daily driver at a supposed .03 per gallon savings, the average use per vehicle in the US is 525 gallons. You saved a supposed, whopping, $16.00 per year. Easily made up with just one overpriced purchase at CW. More than likely you could of bought cheaper fuel a mile down the road. Either way it hardly offsets the junk and email bombardment you'll be getting because before that credit app is ever read, Marcus Lemonis is already licking stamps and envelopes.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:05 AM   #5
Citrus County, Fl.

's

I am certain somebody will correct me if I am wrong but Pilot/FlyingJ's "free" RV discount card gives you the same 3 cents gas and 5 cents propane discount as the GoodSam's card. As was mentioned, there are credit cards that give you fuel rebates as well.

If you are retired military or have an immediate family member that is, Pentagon Federal has a Visa card that gives you 5% off fuel purchases (at the pump) and 1% off everything else. Rebates come off your bill monthly with no limits or required amount to be spent like others have befroe you get the rebate. In a nutshell, using this card at P/FJ with their card or the GoodSam's gives you the 3 cents then 5% off the balance.

Since you are in Western NC ( I love that area) I am certain you do not have a Publix grocery store but they offer at least once a month a $50 gas card, usually Shell or Racetrack, for $40 with a $50 grocery purchase. I use the PenFed card to buy the gas card and get an additional 1% off the $40. The gas cards are saved for RV trips and there is no major cash outlay for fuel if I can get in to a Shell station while traveling.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:25 AM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Most Flying J or pilots I've been to have cheaper gas than most other stations and I use them only when I travel. So deduct 6 cents on gas and it'ts good and no expense on credit card payed off every month I use. BTW I do as GL1800Rider does , I get a $50 gas card at Publix for $40 Use it when I need it. Only gas I buy is for truck , Car so far has 2200 miles on it and have not bought any gas but it's there if I need it. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:28 AM   #7

FJ diesel prices are usally 20-30 cents than other stations , so not any advantage, except for geting in and out, other stations not so easy, your choice
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:42 AM   #8
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
The discount you get is accounted for in the overpriced purchases you make at CW/FJ, the GS dues, and in the interest you might pay using the FJ credit card.

No matter if its CW/FJ, the local grocery chain, convenience store or gas station, or anywhere else, those discount programs are not truly discounts. That cost is figured into the equation somewhere. There is no free lunch and never has been. My wife must have 75 of those discount fobs on her key ring, I have none. Totally a waste of time to me scanning those things. A much better route is the right cash back or rewards credit card. Think about it, even if you're going out of the way to FJ and filling up your daily driver at a supposed .03 per gallon savings, the average use per vehicle in the US is 525 gallons. You saved a supposed, whopping, $16.00 per year. Easily made up with just one overpriced purchase at CW. More than likely you could of bought cheaper fuel a mile down the road. Either way it hardly offsets the junk and email bombardment you'll be getting because before that credit app is ever read, Marcus Lemonis is already licking stamps and envelopes.
There is a local chain here that offers .10c off a gal, when you buy $3.00 worth of candy bars.....oh 10 gal discounted limit by the way
I wonder how many people actually spend more money because they weren't planning on a chocolate fix and didn't read the fine print

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
There is a local chain here that offers .10c off a gal, when you buy $3.00 worth of candy bars.....oh 10 gal discounted limit by the way
I wonder how many people actually spend more money because they weren't planning on a chocolate fix and didn't read the fine print

Exactly, we have a large locally based grocery chain here, Giant Eagle. They have the "advantage" card setup for gas discounts as they also operate convenience stores named "Getgo"

The Giant Eagles are really great stores and have a great selection although the prices, item by item, are much higher than other grocery stores. But I guess if you pay 0.25 more for a can of beans, and then get 0.10 off a gallon of gas you're ahead of the game? But you have to buy $50 worth of overpriced beans. Say they're $1 a can and you can get them at $0.75 elsewhere. So you paid an extra 12.50 for your 50 cans of beans but you get $0.10 off a gallon good for up to so many gallons. It seems to me you just spent $12.50 for maybe a $3.00 gas savings if you have a 30 gallon tank. Then you have to keep feeding the gas perks by shopping more at Giant Eagle. I compare it to a pyramid scheme. But I guess if you feel good doing it and like carrying all those cards and fobs around its your life. Its hard to even find places that don't have some program or card. None of it is free.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:35 AM   #10

I don't have a Flying J card but can use my CW membership card to get .03 off per gallon. Then I use my normal credit card that gives me 5% cashback for gas purchases. There is also a Shell card that gives .05 per gallon before I use my normal credit card for my 5% back.

I wouldn't get the CW membership just to get a gas discount at Flying J or discounts in the CW store as their prices are much higher than Amazon for the same thing. But I do have their membership for the 10% off on RV park rates.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #11

So, to answer the OP's question......You scan the GS card at the Flying J/Pilot pump to get the discount you are entitled to with your type of membership (there are 3 types) you can also get the flying J/Pilot gas card. it is not actually a credit card because you HAVE to pay the balance off each month, so there is no interest fees to worry about. If you get the card the gas discount goes up to .06.

if you use the trip planner on the GS website you can map out the FJ/Pilots are on your route so you can plan your fuel stops as well as the GS campgrounds & other campgrounds you might want to utilize.

Determining if it is a good deal or not is totally a matter of opinion. Doing the math my membership has paid for itself and is now paying dividends.....
Old 12-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #12

Use these stations a lot, easy to get in and out. It does tick me off that they advertise diesel only (not gas) at about 4 cents a gallon more expensive simply for using a credit card.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #13

To answer the OP's question at most Flying-J/Pilot stations you need to swipe the discount card first, watch the price drop then do your credit card. Follow directions at the pump.

To the other respondents, Having owned a retail store for decades, and accepting credit cards as a form of payment it might be a shock to you that it cost me (the retailer) over 3% per transaction. Different credit cards have different penalties attached to them. Bottom line, you the consumer, pay to cover the cost of the giveaways.

I fuel at Costco, and plan accordingly on the road.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Most Flying J or pilots I've been to have cheaper gas than most other stations and I use them only when I travel. So deduct 6 cents on gas and it'ts good and no expense on credit card payed off every month I use. BTW I do as GL1800Rider does , I get a $50 gas card at Publix for $40 Use it when I need it. Only gas I buy is for truck , Car so far has 2200 miles on it and have not bought any gas but it's there if I need it. Later RJD
Now RR Man, how big is the gas tank on your car that can go 2200 miles
? Youroo! !
Old 12-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Now RR Man, how big is the gas tank on your car that can go 2200 miles
? Youroo! !
He's got one of them foo-foo electric cars. I think 10 gallons of gas will last several months.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
He's got one of them foo-foo electric cars. I think 10 gallons of gas will last several months.

Do you have any pictures? WTH is a foo-foo
Old 12-21-2016, 09:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
I am certain somebody will correct me if I am wrong but Pilot/FlyingJ's "free" RV discount card gives you the same 3 cents gas and 5 cents propane discount as the GoodSam's card. As was mentioned, there are credit cards that give you fuel rebates as well.

If you are retired military or have an immediate family member that is, Pentagon Federal has a Visa card that gives you 5% off fuel purchases (at the pump) and 1% off everything else. Rebates come off your bill monthly with no limits or required amount to be spent like others have befroe you get the rebate. In a nutshell, using this card at P/FJ with their card or the GoodSam's gives you the 3 cents then 5% off the balance.

Since you are in Western NC ( I love that area) I am certain you do not have a Publix grocery store but they offer at least once a month a $50 gas card, usually Shell or Racetrack, for $40 with a $50 grocery purchase. I use the PenFed card to buy the gas card and get an additional 1% off the $40. The gas cards are saved for RV trips and there is no major cash outlay for fuel if I can get in to a Shell station while traveling.

Nothing is really free, I have a PenFed credit card and it cost $25 bucks a year to use it but if you use it a lot like I do the card will pay for itself. Plus there is no fee when I use the card in Canada. The PenFed card use to be better, now you have to have a loan with them or so much money in the bank or you get just 3%. I have a Bank of America card that you get 3% off at the pump and there is no yearly fee. My fifth wheel has never been in a truck stop, the diesel is just to high, I have a 100 gallon fuel tank that I pump out of. It's just convenience for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:03 AM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

We have Sheetz convenience stores here in PA.
You can sign up for a "My Sheetz Card" for FREE.
No annual fees, nothing to buy to get fuel perks. (it isn't a credit card)
3¢ off every gallon of gas. (no gallon limit like Giant Eagle)
Free stuff monthly (like a cup of coffee, candy bar, doughnut, etc.)
Special in store offers.
Many things are buy 10 (over a period of time) get one free.

Just swipe... what's not to like?
Well... most are a PITA to get a travel trailer/5th wheel in to the pumps but if you fill up before heading out or before heading home they are great! They are remodeling some of the older stores into MEGA Sheetz. These are pretty easy to get into.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:27 AM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Do you have any pictures? WTH is a foo-foo
From the Urban dictionary...

Foofoo
Adjective used to describe anything that is just a little to frilly, fancy, or "upper crust". Things that are foofoo might also be a bit on the delicate side, or too elegant by half, or even offensively fruity. Spoiled little lap-dogs, $1000 designer handbags, and pink capri pants worn by men all qualify as foofoo.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:38 AM   #20

The price for diesel at Flying J is so high when compared to other local dealers that the discount would have to be more then 25 cents per gallon, you can check using Gas Buddy. My brother in law uses Love's discount when he fills up with diesel but those stations are always so dirty and it seems that they are full of crininal looking people. Good Luck
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good sam