Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2019, 05:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
Next time, call the credit card company and tell them there was an overcharge, which they will credit immediately, and therefore you do not have to pay that amount. This has happened to me a couple of times.
Was it actually an overcharge or a “hold” on the account.
primo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:09 PM   #22

Always $150 Hold

EVERY time I pump gas at Pilot, they put a $150 hold on any credit card I use. It drops off of the account very quickly!
smgelsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:11 PM   #23
Site Team

[QUOTE=Dirt Sifter;2031690]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
If that really happened you need a different card.

KyDan If it didn't really happen I would not have taken the time to write it on this forum. The fact that it did happen is the reason I took the time to post it. The response I got from the Pilot folks when paying my bill for the charge was the reason I took the time to write it. I have never had that happen to me before or since on my Cabela's black card. I do not know if Pilot has changed their policy as I do not shop there unless absolutely necessary, which has not happened in the past four years. If you have any further questions about this feel free to PM me and we can talk.
Sorry!!
We traveled 7000 miles last summer and just returned from Florida a few days ago.
We used our Capital One and stopped in Flying J and just about any other brand you can think of. I've never had an over charge. Ever.
I'm not trying to sell you on pilot or Flying J but we go there on occasion because some of them have finally started installing RV gas pumps off to the side so I can fill my thirsty gas powered truck while towing our 29' trailer.
Also my Capital One sends me a text of any charge over $45. (I can set the threshold for the text at any $ I choose) If I filled up anywhere and got an overcharge I would know immediately and I would call C1 and get it fixed or denied. Never had to do that thankfully.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:54 PM   #24

We burn short of 100$ a day in fuel when on the road and use the GS card and a cash back visa at pilot/fj pay at the pump for the past 5 years. Haapy with the deal. Also use costco's but some locals dont fit even with a sm coach and toad. Never found a loves to take the GS, would like to know where they are.

Kroger is also a fav after shop for groc. Often had students who worked at krogers while chasing their paper. They were always protective of their phone numbers as that is an access key to their gas points.... but I am not that guy to do such a thing.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperwes413 View Post
I just got my Good Sam Club Card which only took 5 weeks to get, BUT the questions is how do you use it to get the fuel discount? Do you just swipe at the pump??
We have been Good Sam since the 70's. However since the pilot/flying J truck stops are now 30 to 50 cents a gallon more than others it is not worth it to use. We use Gas Buddy to locate the best price, approach with caution to make sure we can get in and out, much less expensive.
captnrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #26

cost diff

Well that is distrubing. We have kept our freq travels pretty centered around ATL to the beach about every 8 weeks. Pilot/fj on 65 are fairly low in cost. Absolute best prices are on the AL side of the Georgia lIne. Any thing below I-10 price goes up as the water gets closer.

Heading west this fall, I expect sticker shock..
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnrick3 View Post
We have been Good Sam since the 70's. However since the pilot/flying J truck stops are now 30 to 50 cents a gallon more than others it is not worth it to use. We use Gas Buddy to locate the best price, approach with caution to make sure we can get in and out, much less expensive.
I too would look outside of pilot flying I if I didn’t have a 41 foot 5er behind me and if price was the only factor. At 50 cents a gallon more that’s worth the premium for the ease of fueling. Lol. It’s worth paying the little more for me to get the truck lanes. We have our gas/coffee/pee stops down to 15 minutes using them. Not as easy at a regular service centre when we are hitched up.
primo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
Next time, call the credit card company and tell them there was an overcharge, which they will credit immediately, and therefore you do not have to pay that amount. This has happened to me a couple of times.
The phone lines were busy; problem was that the charge from Pilot did not immediately post. That was why the larger charge stuck until the actual charge went thru. The Cabelas folks were good to work with, the others were just doing what they had always done. Once the post went thru, after I'd been billed, adjustments were made. The situation was enough to make this traveler use another gas station. Once burned and all that.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:36 PM   #29
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnrick3 View Post
I'm sure that 30 to 50 cents happens, but I haven't seen it as a regular thing in my travels. Up to about 15 cents and the RV Plus charge card negates most of the premium for using Pilot/Flying J's truck lanes and being able to start the pump with the card.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:32 PM   #30
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
I solved having to buy fuel at the truck stops and other outrageous priced locations, I installed a 60 gal. auxiliary diesel fuel tank in the bed of my truck. When I get to a campground, I unhook and drive just the truck to a refueling point, usually one that I have previously found with the aid of gas buddy. I have on occasion used a truck stop, love those big nozzles and fast pumping when taking on 75 gals.
My addition of the 38 gallon auxiliary diesel tank is the smartest purchase I have made recently. Especially on the transit to New England, Philadelphia. PA has the largest tax on diesel in the US. An 188 wheel driver gave me the heads up on PA while in Virginia so I made sure to top off before getting there. I also unhook and top off both tanks so I can avoid the rip off prices. If you use diesel, it is a smart move to have that auxiliary tank.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:36 PM   #31
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Well that is distrubing. We have kept our freq travels pretty centered around ATL to the beach about every 8 weeks. Pilot/fj on 65 are fairly low in cost. Absolute best prices are on the AL side of the Georgia lIne. Any thing below I-10 price goes up as the water gets closer.

Heading west this fall, I expect sticker shock..
We were out west as far as Yellowstone last year. Pleasantly surprised at diesel prices for the most part, especially in SD, Kansas and most places in WY. Some of the non Interstate roads we traveled were a bit high, but, few stations there so they could charge their price.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:49 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
If you use Pilot or Flying J, getting the RV Plus credit card (which is associated with Good Sam) is a better option. Bigger discounts, you can use the semi lanes w/o having to go in, can use it for discounts inside also, and no limits at pumps.
https://www.rvpluscard.com
With their Pilot/Flying J RV Good Sam credit card, I routinely get 6-8 cents off per gallon! Only caveat is that you can't carry a balance on the card. It must be paid in full each month. Works for gas or diesel plus $5 off on their $10 dump station. With points, about every third or fourth 16oz. hot drink is free. And the kids each get a huge 64oz. cold drink in a refillable jug for $1.35. (But, keep in mind, a relatively small number of the independent dealers can significantly undercut P/FJ.)
Old 02-23-2019, 07:13 AM   #33

I use Shell. I got a fuel reward card that gives me at least $.05 off per gallon up to 20 gallon. Depending on how often you get gas the discount goes up, usually to $.10 but I have gotten as much as $.20 and I have a Shell credit card that I get an added $.05 off per gallon with no limit. Also alot of Shells take Kroger reward card.
Ar-Newbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybeck2018 View Post
My addition of the 38 gallon auxiliary diesel tank is the smartest purchase I have made recently. Especially on the transit to New England, Philadelphia. PA has the largest tax on diesel in the US. An 188 wheel driver gave me the heads up on PA while in Virginia so I made sure to top off before getting there. I also unhook and top off both tanks so I can avoid the rip off prices. If you use diesel, it is a smart move to have that auxiliary tank.
I was just looking at a trucking website that listed the diesel fuel taxes for all 50 states.
As of 1/1/2019 PA. is second to CA. 99.6 cents per gallon in PA., 109.33 cents per gallon in CA. Cheapest is Alaska at 38.86 cents per gallon.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:40 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldman View Post
I was just looking at a trucking website that listed the diesel fuel taxes for all 50 states.
As of 1/1/2019 PA. is second to CA. 99.6 cents per gallon in PA., 109.33 cents per gallon in CA. Cheapest is Alaska at 38.86 cents per gallon.
the price differential from NY to Florida is crazy. when we head out from Canada we see a range of 4.00/gallon in the north to 2.25 a gallon from about TN to FL.

i fill up just south of PA on the way home...i avoid paying more in Erie when it can be avoided.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:40 PM   #36
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldman View Post

Thanks for that update. We were up in PA last June. So, great that folks can update information as necessary.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:25 PM   #37

This reply will get a little far abreast of the topic, … At least in my area, my take on Flying J is without a doubt there will be a fuel stop within a mile that is 15 - 25 cents cheaper. The 5 cents a gallon savings at Flying J some are talking here holds no incentive for me at all when I can drive a mile farther and fuel up at maybe 25 cents cheaper flat out no discount. Some tout that the ease and accessibility of the FJ's is worth the fuel premium??? I double tow, and man if lack of faith in my ability to maneuver in and out of most fuel stops of choice were to cost me an $8-10 fuel premium … I'd downsize.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:41 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
This reply will get a little far abreast of the topic, … At least in my area, my take on Flying J is without a doubt there will be a fuel stop within a mile that is 15 - 25 cents cheaper. The 5 cents a gallon savings at Flying J some are talking here holds no incentive for me at all when I can drive a mile farther and fuel up at maybe 25 cents cheaper flat out no discount. Some tout that the ease and accessibility of the FJ's is worth the fuel premium??? I double tow, and man if lack of faith in my ability to maneuver in and out of most fuel stops of choice were to cost me an $8-10 fuel premium … I'd downsize.
Ouch! We do use Pilot/FJ for ease of use, can use a discount card in the semi/RV lanes, refill our coffee or snacks, use a clean restroom, and eat a meal in a sit down restaurant if we want to. On travel day, we don't really care what the fuel price is. We are more concerned about a one stop shop with stress free maneuvering and parking.

But I do appreciate your implications that we are spendthrift's and unable to maneuver our RV just because we enjoy using these truck stops
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:26 AM   #39
Enjoying Life

Just completed a trip to Florida and back. Used Flying J/Pilot for almost every stop. The prices were the same or lower at every one and with the discount lower still. If they are so expensive why was every one almost full to the brim on the truck side and had many with waiting for the gas side. RV lanes were almost always full.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:56 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
Just completed a trip to Florida and back. Used Flying J/Pilot for almost every stop. The prices were the same or lower at every one and with the discount lower still. If they are so expensive why was every one almost full to the brim on the truck side and had many with waiting for the gas side. RV lanes were almost always full.
The truck side of P/FJ stations are full because most of the trucks are using contract fuel. Contract diesel prices are usually 50-75 cents a gallon less than posted prices.

Also, the P/FJ prices for gas (not diesel) are usually comparable to or lower than other stations within a few miles radius.

If you don’t have your Good Sam card with you just put in your phone number.

Tags
fuel, good sam