Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2019, 08:00 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
This reply will get a little far abreast of the topic, … At least in my area, my take on Flying J is without a doubt there will be a fuel stop within a mile that is 15 - 25 cents cheaper. The 5 cents a gallon savings at Flying J some are talking here holds no incentive for me at all when I can drive a mile farther and fuel up at maybe 25 cents cheaper flat out no discount. Some tout that the ease and accessibility of the FJ's is worth the fuel premium??? I double tow, and man if lack of faith in my ability to maneuver in and out of most fuel stops of choice were to cost me an $8-10 fuel premium … I'd downsize.
Lol. It’s not because I can’t drive my rig. It’s a preference for an easier pit stop. Something I’ve come to prefer with my diesel tow vehicle.

By the same token it could be suggested that if a few dollars more for fuel is too much for you to spend maybe it’s time to find a new cheaper hobby. Haha. But I wouldn’t be so bold as to suggest it!
primo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:05 AM   #42

dose anyone know where there is a place to get a rock Guard for my George Town beside the dealer online

thank you
capt john
Captjohn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:33 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjohn01 View Post
dose anyone know where there is a place to get a rock Guard for my George Town beside the dealer online

thank you
capt john
We saw what you did!!!
Old 02-24-2019, 08:46 AM   #44
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
Just completed a trip to Florida and back. Used Flying J/Pilot for almost every stop. The prices were the same or lower at every one and with the discount lower still. If they are so expensive why was every one almost full to the brim on the truck side and had many with waiting for the gas side. RV lanes were almost always full.
We have just arrived in FL from PA and had the same experience with Pilot/Flying J's. Always the same price or lower for gas as all other stations in the areas we stopped. No clue about diesel and could care less.

Apparently some of you don't save money using the Good Sam card and these stations but we do. It is NOT a bad experience for everyone!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:09 AM   #45

A lot of people like the convenience of Pilot/Flying J, stop get food easy in and out and save a little with a good Sam card. My credit card if I swipe at the pump I get 5 percent off, 3 bucks a gallon that’s fifteen cents. I have a diesel Silverado and I guess there is a Pilot/Flying J out there somewhere that’s cheaper on diesel but I have yet to find one. My Silverado and camper have never been in a Pilot/Flying J, I beat Pilot/Flying J prices so bad but I have a auxiliary tank and I don’t have to stop. If I was going to stop at Pilot/Flying J then by all means I would have a good Sam card, five cents a gallon adds up. You have to buy fuel anyway you should save as much as you can. Save more have more money to camp
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:54 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
This reply will get a little far abreast of the topic, … At least in my area, my take on Flying J is without a doubt there will be a fuel stop within a mile that is 15 - 25 cents cheaper. The 5 cents a gallon savings at Flying J some are talking here holds no incentive for me at all when I can drive a mile farther and fuel up at maybe 25 cents cheaper flat out no discount. Some tout that the ease and accessibility of the FJ's is worth the fuel premium??? I double tow, and man if lack of faith in my ability to maneuver in and out of most fuel stops of choice were to cost me an $8-10 fuel premium … I'd downsize.
I'll admit that I don't have the ability to maneuver my 5er in most fuel stations, that's why I use Pilot/Flying J. I'm not going to downsize my rig just for the ease of fueling my truck. I like the size and comfort of my 5er.
I use the Pilot/Flying J credit card which gets me 8 cents per gallon discount and there is no limit like the $75 cutoff with the national credit cards. I hate to have to rerun my credit card to finish my fillup.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:21 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldman View Post
I'll admit that I don't have the ability to maneuver my 5er in most fuel stations, that's why I use Pilot/Flying J. I'm not going to downsize my rig just for the ease of fueling my truck. I like the size and comfort of my 5er.

I use the Pilot/Flying J credit card which gets me 8 cents per gallon discount and there is no limit like the $75 cutoff with the national credit cards. I hate to have to rerun my credit card to finish my fillup.

Well everyone is different but it takes me like 30 seconds to rerun my credit card. But of course I don’t use truckstops, takes to long in and out. But I like the doughnuts most sell, you can buy a two pack inside. It’s what you like, not what others like. Have fun
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #48
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo20 View Post

By the same token it could be suggested that if a few dollars more for fuel is too much for you to spend maybe it’s time to find a new cheaper hobby. Haha. But I wouldn’t be so bold as to suggest it!
When you are pumping 80 gallons of diesel, it is more than a few dollars. Plus, I support any gas station that sells their gas at a lower price.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:32 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
When you are pumping 80 gallons of diesel, it is more than a few dollars. Plus, I support any gas station that sells their gas at a lower price.
Even at 30 cents a gallon more( which is much higher differential than I’ve seen between a highway located gas station and a pilot/flying j) at 80 gallons is only 24 dollars. 80 gallons gets me almost to Florida from Canada! I have a 25 gallon tank in my Ram so to me it’s worth the convenience.

Maybe because I’m used to paying over 1.10 per litre which is pushing close to 5 dollars a gallon for diesel at home, it doesn’t bother me. I more than make up savings at the pump by buying beer in USA for 18 bucks a 30 pack! A 30 pack of beer in Ontario is 50 bucks!

As was said, it might not be worth it to everyone, but it certainly is for me and obviously for the many other TVs and trailers in line there.

When I’m travelling it’s all about having fun not worry about 50 bucks round trip to Florida.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #50
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo20 View Post
Even at 30 cents a gallon more( which is much higher differential than I’ve seen between a highway located gas station and a pilot/flying j) at 80 gallons is only 24 dollars. 80 gallons gets me almost to Florida from Canada! I have a 25 gallon tank in my Ram so to me it’s worth the convenience.

Maybe because I’m used to paying over 1.10 per litre which is pushing close to 5 dollars a gallon for diesel at home, it doesn’t bother me. I more than make up savings at the pump by buying beer in USA for 18 bucks a 30 pack! A 30 pack of beer in Ontario is 50 bucks!

As was said, it might not be worth it to everyone, but it certainly is for me and obviously for the many other TVs and trailers in line there.

When I’m travelling it’s all about having fun not worry about 50 bucks round trip to Florida.
It must be nice to be rich. $24.00 is a lot of money to me.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:38 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
It must be nice to be rich. $24.00 is a lot of money to me.
Haha. Not at all. But that was funny.

24 is a high estimate. And that’s on a thousand or more miles! With the 8 cent discount and a more realistic difference in pricing I’m estimating 10 bucks more for fuel to get me to Florida.

Anyway. That’s the last from me. For me it works.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:01 PM   #52

I had no intent to saw anyone off at the kneecaps … my disdain for Flying J’s perceived “convenience” yet at their inflated price clouded my typing. Flying J’s as well as Love’s inflated price compared to near by stations seems to be at its worse in my neck of the woods. Just last Friday, FJ's diesel price was 23 cents higher than another sizable fuel stop that could be seen from FJ's entrance turn. We all travel differently. The “one stop advantage” for fuel, food, and relaxation doesn’t play out for us. We’re seldom on a tight schedule and 500 miles is a big day, so two stops … even three instead of one is of no issue. We like to eat at “mom and pop” restaurants along the way. Food is different, people are different, and scenery is different if only 3 blocks off the interstate. I’ll pull off the hiway and park on a side street a block away from some little diner without pause. The walk to the door makes my wife’s Fitbit add up the steps faster. Ha!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:55 AM   #53
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
I solved having to buy fuel at the truck stops and other outrageous priced locations, I installed a 60 gal. auxiliary diesel fuel tank in the bed of my truck. When I get to a campground, I unhook and drive just the truck to a refueling point, usually one that I have previously found with the aid of gas buddy. I have on occasion used a truck stop, love those big nozzles and fast pumping when taking on 75 gals.

I thought about buying a transfer tank but I have 4 major issues with them

1. Cost
2. Can't close my tonneau cover.
3. Weight
4. Bed space

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:50 PM   #54

I also trip over your points 1, 3, and 4. Although rare … I've seen the near empty aluminum tank left over from a couple of guys with a drill chucked up to a 1 1/2" hole saw and an electric pump with a pipe on one end that stuck down into the tank. It all went down in less than 10 minutes, but was luckily caught on a parking lot cam. They sure had the caper down except for the getting away with it part.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, good sam