Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2019, 10:16 AM   #1

Good Sam Fuel Discount

I just got my Good Sam Club Card which only took 5 weeks to get, BUT the questions is how do you use it to get the fuel discount? Do you just swipe at the pump??

East to West Della Terra 25KRB
camperwes413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:19 AM   #2

I would think you just swipe the card. Bank of America has a cash rewards card, 3% off gas. Money that you can build up and use for cash back or money off your account.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
Always Learning

I've only used it at the truck pumps "around back". But yes, you just swipe it and it automatically calculates the discounted price. It's usually quite significant off of the credit price and a few cents cheaper than the cash price.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #4

Yes, you swipe your credit card then a screen will pop up for your rewards card and the discount will appear on the pump price. We found Pilot almost always accepted it and Loves rarely did.
Daves rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:52 PM   #5

Get the booklet from a Pilot or Flying J, which lists the stations by state and shows which ones are private dealers, which do not give the discount. Use your Good Sam card inside when you purchase something, to get your points and a discount.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:53 PM   #6

If you use Pilot or Flying J, getting the RV Plus credit card (which is associated with Good Sam) is a better option. Bigger discounts, you can use the semi lanes w/o having to go in, can use it for discounts inside also, and no limits at pumps.
https://www.rvpluscard.com
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:00 PM   #7

My experience with Pilot came when they charged my Visa account (not debit) $150.00 for my gas which was actually under $50.00. When I called they explained they wanted to cover costs, and would credit my account the overage in a few days. The fact that they did not adjust it before my bill came out caused me to have to pay the full boat. I now use Love's and take the Visa card's cash back reward.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #8

I solved having to buy fuel at the truck stops and other outrageous priced locations, I installed a 60 gal. auxiliary diesel fuel tank in the bed of my truck. When I get to a campground, I unhook and drive just the truck to a refueling point, usually one that I have previously found with the aid of gas buddy. I have on occasion used a truck stop, love those big nozzles and fast pumping when taking on 75 gals.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:15 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
If you use Pilot or Flying J, getting the RV Plus credit card (which is associated with Good Sam) is a better option. Bigger discounts, you can use the semi lanes w/o having to go in, can use it for discounts inside also, and no limits at pumps.
Hmm, I thought that's what the OP was talking about. I could very well be confused.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:18 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
My experience with Pilot came when they charged my Visa account (not debit) $150.00 for my gas which was actually under $50.00. When I called they explained they wanted to cover costs, and would credit my account the overage in a few days. The fact that they did not adjust it before my bill came out caused me to have to pay the full boat. I now use Love's and take the Visa card's cash back reward.

In all my years buying gas I've seen occasional stations that "tie up a certain amount of your available credit" but NEVER seen one that actually charged more than the purchase.
If that really happened you need a different card.
To the OP's question we use gas not diesel. At flying J and a few others we put in our credit card and when the pump asks about a rewards card I put in the Good Sam card.
We get 5˘ off a gallon plus my Capital One gets me another 3 cents cash back.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperwes413 View Post
I just got my Good Sam Club Card which only took 5 weeks to get, BUT the questions is how do you use it to get the fuel discount? Do you just swipe at the pump??
You swipe your credit card first and then it will ask for for your discount card (Good Sam Card). Swipe it and you will see the price per gallon go down 5 cents. Then pump away!! If gives you instructions on the screen just know to swipe your credit card first.
LarrysPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:23 PM   #12

Ependydad (my copy didn't work),
Join the club, my wife says I'm confused most of the time

The RV Plus card is actually a credit card. The Good Sam Club card is just a discount card.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:29 PM   #13

How do use Good Sams Fuel Card to get Discount

Flying J Fuel discount is what I use and you had to register the Card online with a Pin number. Before I got discount for Fuel and Sanitation Dump. Look on the back of your Card for instructions. Good Luck
popinfresh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:43 PM   #14

GS credit card hold fees

I have used my GS card regularly for three years and the rewards seem to come in at about 2%. However I do NOT use it at Pilot or Flying J. The first trip we took two of those stations charged $150 each and another charged $500 on purchases to fill a 35 gal regular gas tank. I assumed I had $800 of fraudulent activities and called the bank. They told me that those two businesses place holds of $150-$500 on those funds for up to ten days until the sale is processed. As we were on a 6,000 mile journey that created a lot of potential for problems. We still use the card for fuel everything else but avoid those stations! The discounts are not worth tying up cash reserves.
PhillipT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
This is what I have. Works great for a Canadian. Bill comes in Canadian dollars. Very convenient. Plus diesel and def in the truck lanes without prepaying. I get 8 cents off diesel.
primo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:26 PM   #16
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
Check your mainstream bank Visa card or your Costco card. The PNC Cash Rewards℠ VisaŽ awards 4% cash back on any gas station purchases, 3% back on dining at restaurants and 2% back at grocery stores. If the gas cost at ANY station is $2.29 for example, you'd get $.09 off per gallon. Gas Buddy also has a deal where you pay them $4.99/month and you get $.20 off per gallon anywhere. This would make sense if you can turn it on or off. I used 1,043 gallons of gas on our last "walk-about" and would have saved $206. Takeaway here is percentages are probably better than cents off per gallon.
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:02 PM   #17

[QUOTE=KyDan;2031623]

KyDan If it didn't really happen I would not have taken the time to write it on this forum. The fact that it did happen is the reason I took the time to post it. The response I got from the Pilot folks when paying my bill for the charge was the reason I took the time to write it. I have never had that happen to me before or since on my Cabela's black card. I do not know if Pilot has changed their policy as I do not shop there unless absolutely necessary, which has not happened in the past four years. If you have any further questions about this feel free to PM me and we can talk.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
In all my years buying gas I've seen occasional stations that "tie up a certain amount of your available credit" but NEVER seen one that actually charged more than the purchase.
To the OP's question we use gas not diesel. At flying J and a few others we put in our credit card and when the pump asks about a rewards card I put in the Good Sam card.
We get 5˘ off a gallon plus my Capital One gets me another 3 cents cash back.

Thanks KyDan, that is exactly what I was asking. I want to use the Good Sam to get the discount and my Chase card to pay to get the points. It's a a double benefit that way. Why not use both and get 2 advantages over just one.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I would think you just swipe the card. Bank of America has a cash rewards card, 3% off gas. Money that you can build up and use for cash back or money off your account.
But why not use the Good Sam card to get $.05/ gallon off and use your Bank of America to pay and get an additional 3% off. Double dip the discount??

Old 02-22-2019, 04:40 PM   #20
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
Next time, call the credit card company and tell them there was an overcharge, which they will credit immediately, and therefore you do not have to pay that amount. This has happened to me a couple of times.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, good sam