Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #21

When I'm comparing USAA/Progressive to Good Sam they are both TCL (Total Loss Coverage). Exact same coverage; diminishing deductibles, personal effects insurance of $1000 (plenty for a pop up), vacation liability, roadside assistance, emergency expense, etc.

However Good Sam has called me three times today. When I briefly mentioned I was probably going with USAA the rep said they also have some association discounts. I was in a hurry and could discuss it with him but it will be interesting to see if they negotiate.
Would like to get a policy in place this week.
boondoggled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #22

I have zero loyalty to any insurance company and will change to another company for a small savings. I found out years ago that they will drop me for almost anything or raise my rates even with no claims.
The only company I will never deal with is Progressive. They are in my opinion what is wrong with insurance. I was involved in a MC accident in 2012 and unfortunately the lady that ran me over was insured with them and we fought over hospital bills some I had to pay myself. I had to get a attorney finally and that cost me more money. Stay away from Progressive.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #23

I am with Good Sam and they placed me with Progressive
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:07 PM   #24

You can demand a different carrier. That's what we did.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:21 PM   #25

I'll have to wait until renewal time
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:34 PM   #26

Good Sam has always quoted higher than either Geico or Progressive. Have had both, Have Geico now, When i changed residency to Florida from Michigan, Progressive was way higher, Went with Geico. Still the best rate we can find.
3010DSF Sunseeker
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #27

Interesting indeed. I just got off the phone with the Good Sam guy. Actually, a woman called me and then put me in touch with an agent. Kind of strange to be called and then immediately handed off.

I told him their original quote was a bit high and he said they could also underwrite for Progressive - $147/yr. all the same coverage. They also use an outfit called National Interstate. After some googling it appear they are an RV specific insurance company. They were $137/yr.

Anyone ever used National Interstate?

Hmmm....

We've got complimentary Coach-net on our Pop Up for a year. But I've considered getting the Good Sam Roadside for $70 (through camping world online) - cheaper than AAA for two members and an RV by far.

Not looking to hijack the thread here but thought it was interesting how Progressive seems to be the 'go to' for USAA and Good Sams. Both would probably act as a 'big stick' for me.

Strange as this may sound, I'd almost choose Good Sam only so the fellow I talked to on the phone could get a little commission. If it's going to be the same for me either way, may as well help out another working American dad somewhere get a little bit bigger paycheck this month.
boondoggled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #28

Yes we have National Interstate for our fiver, thru Good Sam and they also cover my truck and better half's mini-van.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:55 PM   #29

Have National General from Good SAMs. Just used them on a tire blowout damage claim. So far, so good.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
safrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:31 AM   #30

Good Sam placed you with Progessive? That is strange I didn't know that there was a connection between Good San and Progressive. We have Good Sam are are with National Interstate. When we get quotes we always make sure that they are for replacement cost and not ACV. A number of auto insurance companies don't do replacement cost.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:50 PM   #31

Good Sam tried to place us with Progressive and because I believe that Progressive is the spawn of the devil I insisted that the place is with National. I personally would not insure my used broken roller skates with that scum.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

We use the upgrade version of AAA. It covers my motorcycle and the RV trailer as well as over 100 miles of free towing. We prefer AAA because so many other discounts are available through it. It easily pays for itself every year.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:41 PM   #33
Previous Member

I am from Canada and did try to get insurance through them. And advised they do not allow canadians unless they have reg. in usa.
allan kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Good Sam tried to place us with Progressive and because I believe that Progressive is the spawn of the devil I insisted that the place is with National. I personally would not insure my used broken roller skates with that scum.
I would be interested to hear more about your less than pleasant dealings with Progressive. We have Safeco on several vehicles, our home, and several rental homes. For our motorhome, after much searching (with the same broker), wound up with Progressive. Some friends had positive dealings, I always like to hear all sides.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #35

I fought with Progressive over a MC accident. They refused to pay medical bills. Still haven't paid some and I had to pay out of my pocket. I have never sued anyone but they forced me to contact an attorney. The person that hit me admitted fault and was issued a ticket. This is a long story that I don't wish to put out in public. The end result was Progressive was dishonest manipulative and out right lied to try to keep from paying my medical bills. They treat people like crap and still owe me money that I will never see. Not a company I would ever deal with.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:48 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt (Ret) Charlie Brown View Post
For all you former military guys out there, check with USAA. I have had 2 campers insured with them and the service is great.

X2

All my 3 vehicles, house, golf cart and camper are insured with USAA. Good rates and the best customer service in the industry.

2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
2015 Apex 288BHS
UmptySquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:15 AM   #37

Just this very week I looked into Good Sam insurance for the RV...within 30 seconds of getting my online quote the phone rang. I let the salesperson go through the whole deal until I had to stop her and let her know the quote was 1,000.00 more a year than I pay now! Something had to be wrong they insisted and went thought it all over again. Nope. Nearly 1400 a year. What a joke.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:45 AM   #38
Site Team

When I first checked in to GS ins, they quoted me some ridiculous amount. After a few online high quotes someone called me to quote. I told her the problem and she tried it again. Wayyy high for a $38,000 fifth wheel. She called back the next day and told me the software had been found to have a glitch that was quoting wildcats as class A's. The new quote was a winner.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:32 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I fought with Progressive over a MC accident. They refused to pay medical bills. Still haven't paid some and I had to pay out of my pocket. I have never sued anyone but they forced me to contact an attorney. The person that hit me admitted fault and was issued a ticket. This is a long story that I don't wish to put out in public. The end result was Progressive was dishonest manipulative and out right lied to try to keep from paying my medical bills. They treat people like crap and still owe me money that I will never see. Not a company I would ever deal with.
Great to know, thanks for the info. I'm always sorry to hear anyone has to go through such an ordeal with a company that probably has a mission statement plastered on the wall talking about "customer first". I guess it depends on whether you are the payer, or the payee but both should count if all is working right.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:35 PM   #40

At the time we had Progressive coverage on our MH. They must have told our independent agent that they would not cover me anymore. She called us and recommend we find a new policy. We did and saved several hundred dollars.

Tags
good sam