Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2015, 11:31 PM   #1
Who Dares, Wins

Good Sam insurance.. Yay or Nay???

I searched and found a few thread but they were from quite some time ago..

I am looking to see opinions of them from folks that have, had or had a claim through them. I know they broker out my coverage but I got a quote from them yesterday after our NW insurance went up to $470. They quoted us at $270.

Of course everything on their site makes them look like a rock star but I am curious what the customers think! Thanks.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:05 AM   #2

Have never had a claim with them and am with National General thru Good Sam. It was what I chose when we went full time as Allstate would not insure us as full-timers.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:13 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Have you been happy with them? I like my nationwide minus the all the extra money. Thanks

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 01-30-2015, 02:16 PM   #4

I have National General through Good Sam as well, but I haven't had to file a claim, either.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:00 PM   #5

My husband and I had 3 claims with our RV and no problems with Good Sams Ins, National General.
sedanuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:14 PM   #6
Site Team

If you are happy with your Auto insurance company, why not check them. I found the best rate there.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:34 PM   #7

I had Good SAMs on all vehicles, but found a better deal with Farm Berau when including homeowners in the package. However left the RV on Good Sam's as they had better rv replacement on newer rv. Also I drop the road insurance when in storage, but keep liability. Saves me on a monthly basics for the 4 months in storage on the back 40!
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:42 PM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If you are happy with your Auto insurance company, why not check them. I found the best rate there.
I did and told them of the cheaper quote. Their response.. you are paid up to 2/17. Let us know if you want to cancel...

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 01-31-2015, 02:09 PM   #9

We switched from Progressive to Good Sam's insured by National General. We have not had a claim but have heard they handle things well. Anything is better than Progressive a truly awful company.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:22 PM   #10

we have insurance through good sam, have had 2 claims, they took care of everything for us with no problem AND our rate hasn't gone up - in fact, when we went full time last year, our rate when down . . . very happy with national general . . .
memere0211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:27 PM   #11

I think insurance is one of those religious things....but, here is my story. I *just* switched from my old company to Good Sam in the last 3 months. I wanted a Replacement Coverage policy - which is not offered by my old company. The Good Sam agent quoted me the price (which was within 30 bucks of what I was paying). So I went through the process and switched. My policy was placed with Allied insurance (Nationwide). To my surprise, 3-4 weeks later, I received a notice that my replacement coverage was switched to actual cash value. Remember: Having replacement coverage is the only reason I switched in the first place.

Apparently - the Good Sam agent should not have sold me a replacement coverage policy on a RV that we were not the 'original owner' (in other words: We originally bought it used).

Interestingly enough - my wife and I were going to be signing papers on our brand new 2014 so I thought problem solved...right? Well - as I was talking to the Good Sam agent, she quoted me a rate on the new trailer that sounded reasonable still. However - when I called Allied to actually switch the coverage to the new trailer it was a full 1/3 higher than what the Good Sam agent quoted me. Allied said the Agent mis-quoted the policy according to what they had logged.

My situation is more that I did not find the Good Sam agents as professional as I guess I expect an Agent to be. Agents are supposed to know their products (not sell something they shouldn't be) and strive for accuracy in their quotes. Neither of which happened in my situation.

So - fairly happy with Allied still at this point. Not happy with Good Sam as an agency and actively looking for a new Agent at this time.
rabreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:36 PM   #12
Site Team

Sometimes it comes down to the people you are actually dealing with. I'm happy with my present Allstate office. My previous office/agent was useless. Also found out that it takes an act of congress to switch offices officially.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:10 AM   #13

I had my Truck the Wife's Car and my 5ver insured with Allied. Back in August when the Auto Policies came up for renewal they had jack the policy up by about $150 a year. There had been no claims, no tickets, nothing to justify the increase. So i started shopping around and ended up with State Farm who I have had my homeowners insurance with for over 15 years. They were lower then Allied with better converage and knocked $200 off my Homeowners policy. When it came to RV insurance they where way high. My RV policy with Allied is coming due in April and I got a feeling that since I dropped my auto insurance with them they will put the screws to me on the RV insurance. So I may have to call National General or see what Good Sam's can do for me.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #14

Curious about people's experience with Progressive.

We recently bought a new Rockwood Premier 2514G Tent Trailer.

Quote from Progressive with Total Loss replacement is $146. Quote from Good Sams is $270.

Similar coverage; deductibles, personal effects loss, liability etc.

Am I understanding correctly that Good Sams just contracts the insurance out to a third party anyhow?

The goal is to never want to/need to/have to use the insurance anyhow, right?
boondoggled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:32 PM   #15

For all you former military guys out there, check with USAA. I have had 2 campers insured with them and the service is great.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
C. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:20 PM   #16
fx2

I have Progressive, rate was cheaper than I had through Foremost (through my Farmers policy) and cheaper than Good Sam. Unfortunately (or fortunately) thats all I can tell you as I have not had any claims. Knock on wood!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:42 PM   #17
SnP

We had Progressive Ins for 10 years and they raised my rates every year. We had zero accidents or claims. Switched to Good Sam last year. GS rate for 12 months was about the same as Progressive wanted for 6 months coverage. Plus we have better coverages with GS on our 2 vehicles and RV. You may want to check the length of coverage for each insurance quote. As I said, GS was for one annual payment and Progressive was for a payment every 6 months.
Camped - 2014-47, 2015-104, 2016-100, 2017-161, 2018-94
SnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt (Ret) Charlie Brown View Post
For all you former military guys out there, check with USAA. I have had 2 campers insured with them and the service is great.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Yes sir. I checked with USAA - at least on their website - and they do their RV insurance through Progressive. The quote I got (and posted above) is using my USAA membership. Without using it (I was curious if there was a discount) it's $3 a year more. Plus an $8 discount for paying the year in full, which I would do.

Still, on their website they say "we'll work with Progressive to respond to your needs if you ever have issues or questions."

I kinda feel like I'd rather have a USAA/Progressive policy for less than a Good Sam policy for more. I've read complaints for Good Sam too. Come to think of it, I think I've read complaints for every insurance company I've ever researched. Guess that's the nature of insurance companies
boondoggled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #19

When I was looking for insurance on my fiver a number of years ago someone on this forum told me to be sure that I had replacement cost and not to add the RV to an auto policy because they will not have replacement cost. They will replace a totaled RV with ACV just like an auto policy. If you have an RV financed and it was totaled would you be happy with ACV? I wouldn't because I would owe more then ACV. Good Sam will replace your RV with a new one for the first five years, original owner only, as detailed in one of the above posts. Please compare apples with apples when you shop for RV insurance. Cheaper is not always better and Good Sam does know RVs. I also have my truck and the better half's min-van insured thru Good Sam and the price was as good as I could get. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #20

I've had Allstate as my ins. for over 15 yrs. On the TT's since 2004. I had a hefty claim on the TT last year ($16K) and had no problems. Yes, it's ACV but I can live with that. The price has only increased $20/month difference in the last 10 years. I also carry GS Extended Ins and GS Roadside Ins. Used it many times, no problems. Never a claim in the Extended.

Tags
good sam