Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2019, 08:00 PM   #1

Good Sam Travel Assist

Has anyone used this service? It is basically an insurance policy to return you and/or your RV home in case you are incapacitated. It certainly provides peace of mind, especially if your spouse does not drive the RV. I'm just curious if it worked as advertised when it was actually needed.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Has anyone used this service? It is basically an insurance policy to return you and/or your RV home in case you are incapacitated. It certainly provides peace of mind, especially if your spouse does not drive the RV. I'm just curious if it worked as advertised when it was actually needed.

No. thank GOD but, I have it just in case. Since this is our home, someone would have to take it to wherever I'm evacuated to. It also covers my helicopter ride & transportation home after recovery plus more!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:25 PM   #3

I like the peace of mind, I just they deliver as promised.
Andersen hitch
Old 12-05-2019, 10:27 PM   #4
geezer with gadgets

Like most insurance...

Glad I haven't needed it, but sure glad I have it when I do have a need. We do a lot of long distance travel to see family every year and this gives me some peace of mind that if something were to happen my DW or I wouldn't have another issue to worry about.

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:28 PM   #5

I don't have the good sam one. Use the one offered via the NRA. It has world wide coverage for medical emergencies.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
I don't have the good sam one. Use the one offered via the NRA. It has world wide coverage for medical emergencies.
The Good Sam is also world wide and not just for RV related emergencies.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #7

I bought it.
I needed it.
Good Sam did not come through.

I was in the hospital after an ambulance ride from the campground.

My wife, who doesn't tow, was stuck at the campground with our truck and trailer.

She called for assistance to get the trck and trailer back home, which fortuately was only 40 miles away, but in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains (narrow, curvy roads).

The response she got was not good. Even though I was in the hospital in the emergency room, I was not yet "admitted." Until I was "admitted," Good Sam would not help.

My wife asked what service would be provided, and when, once I was "admitted." The resonse was, "We can't give you that information until he is "admitted."

Really? I'm a policy holder and the guy on the phone can't talk to my wife to let her know what service will be provided and when?

Not good.

Fortunately we have local friends with RVs. My wife called until she reached one of them. They drove into the mountains to get her and drive the truck and trailer home.

When my policy was up for renewal, I didn't.

For Good Sam to tell my wife they couldn't make arrangements to drive the truck and trailer until i was "admitted" would be reasonable. To refuse to talk to my wife about what they would do under the policy, while she was in more than a little distress over my issue and not being a driver, was unacceptable.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #8

Sorry to hear the circumstance, Jim, that you had with Good Sam.

I have Good Sam coverage, I have not had to use it, and hope I never do.
The one time I might need it in the future, I hope they prove themselves.

Nice thread. Love to hear from others (positive or negative)

Stay Safe throughout the Holiday Season everyone.
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:48 PM   #9

Suggest membership in FMCA is an excellent alternative as travel assist is included in the membership fee and covers:

Emergency Medical
Evacuation/Repatriation
Repatriation
Emergency Medical Reunion
Return of Mortal Remains
Return of Dependents
RV Return
Automobile Return
Pet Return
Prescription Medication and
Glasses Replacement
24-hour Assistance
Multi-lingual Personnel
Physicians/Nurses on Staff
Locate Local Facilities
Worldwide Coverage
(unless otherwise noted)
Minimum Distance
from Home 100miles unless liveaboard full time=covered

Membership is 85 bucks and all of the many other FMCA benefits are included. I justified my entire membership fee just based on their michelin tire deal. The magazine and campground discounts etc. are also good as are their Sprint/Verizon wifi hotspot deals.
https://www.fmca.com/fmca-assist
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #10

We had the Good Sam for several years but after my wife's femur broke and we found the limits of what is covered, we dropped it. We were told that unless both drivers were incapacitated, we could not get a driver for our motorhome. Just too many gotcha's. The price is reasonable but as far as we could see, we would never meet the conditions for it to be a benefit.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowJoe View Post
We had the Good Sam for several years but after my wife's femur broke and we found the limits of what is covered, we dropped it. We were told that unless both drivers were incapacitated, we could not get a driver for our motorhome. Just too many gotcha's. The price is reasonable but as far as we could see, we would never meet the conditions for it to be a benefit.
We dropped ours also. They left us stranded in a small town off the interstate. They said they could not find anyone to help us, Good Luck.
flipper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
I bought it.
I needed it.
Good Sam did not come through.

I was in the hospital after an ambulance ride from the campground.

My wife, who doesn't tow, was stuck at the campground with our truck and trailer.

She called for assistance to get the trck and trailer back home, which fortuately was only 40 miles away, but in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains (narrow, curvy roads).

The response she got was not good. Even though I was in the hospital in the emergency room, I was not yet "admitted." Until I was "admitted," Good Sam would not help.

My wife asked what service would be provided, and when, once I was "admitted." The resonse was, "We can't give you that information until he is "admitted."

Really? I'm a policy holder and the guy on the phone can't talk to my wife to let her know what service will be provided and when?

Not good.

Fortunately we have local friends with RVs. My wife called until she reached one of them. They drove into the mountains to get her and drive the truck and trailer home.

When my policy was up for renewal, I didn't.

For Good Sam to tell my wife they couldn't make arrangements to drive the truck and trailer until i was "admitted" would be reasonable. To refuse to talk to my wife about what they would do under the policy, while she was in more than a little distress over my issue and not being a driver, was unacceptable.
A term I am hearing about a lot of companies anymore is "slying" They tell you one thing and leaving out the details. A mix of being sly and lying.
flipper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:16 PM   #13

Has anyone had this type of policy that worked?
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:31 PM   #14

Don't know how good or bad. I have noticed "Good Sam" has started selling this, and about 5 other types of insurance and other things. I get emails non stop, all different. I have a Good Sam membership, and I had their roadside assistance. It wasn't the same member number, or same number to call. I thought that's odd. I think they'd sell more if they'd advertise "One Stop Shopping".........call Good Sam, and they'll send you to where you need to go. Now, you have to figure it out.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #15

FMCA Come Thru

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Suggest membership in FMCA is an excellent alternative as travel assist is included in the membership fee and covers:

Emergency Medical
Evacuation/Repatriation
Repatriation
Emergency Medical Reunion
Return of Mortal Remains
Return of Dependents
RV Return
Automobile Return
Pet Return
Prescription Medication and
Glasses Replacement
24-hour Assistance
Multi-lingual Personnel
Physicians/Nurses on Staff
Locate Local Facilities
Worldwide Coverage
(unless otherwise noted)
Minimum Distance
from Home 100miles unless liveaboard full time=covered

Membership is 85 bucks and all of the many other FMCA benefits are included. I justified my entire membership fee just based on their michelin tire deal. The magazine and campground discounts etc. are also good as are their Sprint/Verizon wifi hotspot deals.
https://www.fmca.com/fmca-assist
I can attest to what FMCA does what others just promise.
poorturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:06 PM   #16

That's what I'm wondering too. Thanks to all that replied.
Andersen hitch
Old 12-06-2019, 10:47 PM   #17

We have used SkyMed for this purpose. Two years ago we were on a 3 month trip to Alaska. While camped about 25 miles NW of Calgary My DW was sent to a hospital in Calgary for a heart issue. They would only release her for transport home (near Chicago) if the transport had active medical personnel. We called SkyMed and they immediately arranged for an air ambulance home and also arranged for a driver to return our truck and trailer home. This trip included an ambulance ride from the hospital in Calgary to the airport, the flight in a dedicated air ambulance, and an ambulance ride to our local hospital. All details were arranged by SkyMed. We were very well taken care of in a difficult time and situation for us. This service was exactly what we needed at that time in our lives. We highly recommend them and their services.
Quilter3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:07 AM   #18

Impressive! I hope Good Sam will deliver like this.
Andersen hitch
Old 12-07-2019, 12:25 AM   #19

Good Sam insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Last summer we were in Seward Alaska and we had a mechanical problem. I had taken the time to find a local Towing, company in Seward. This company, Glacial Towing, also found somebody in the little town of Seward that could fix my problem. We were able to continue our sightseeing activities no thanks to Good Sam insurance. Good Sam stated that there was no one in Seward Alaska who was on their list of approved providers.so they would not authorize payment. The only option was to tow to Anchorage which is 125 miles away which was not practical. All I asked for was $65 for towing. Ugh.

As soon as this policy is up I will not renew.
Bobcat Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:33 AM   #20

Travel Assist is coverage for medical related issues, different than their roadside assistance.
Andersen hitch

Tags
good sam, travel