Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2017, 03:59 AM   #41
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
X2

X5 and I’m happily obliging him.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:01 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest9914 View Post
* I'll add that Camping World is this forums favorite target. To read that "the owner doesn't want our business" is a bit preposterous.
Good luck.
I felt the same way until I actually did buy a new TT from them and found out how poorly they treat the customer after the sale. It doesn't take much reading to find hundreds of stories about CW and how badly some of their dealerships treat customers. I sure ML is well aware of the problem but does nothing.
TN_Cruise_Lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:29 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenword View Post
The owner of Camping World and Good Sam’s said he doesn’t want our business
What do you mean?
"Us" as in existing RV owners vs. newbies?
T11ravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:17 AM   #44

Comparison of Insurance Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynedeer View Post
Good Sam was Good UNTIL I HAD A CLAIM. Yes it was cheap. HOWEVER; Major hail dame in Colorado in may ruined all skylights, roof & both slide; about $12,000. IT TOOK over 100 days, as in ALL SUMMER, for them to approve thsi pretty simple claim. They sent out adjuster's 4 different times. Sent me money for the slylights $1,200, which I could not replace until the roof was done. They agreed to $105 an hour for repairs & paid that on skylights. Finally get a check for the roof & it is $100 and hour for 90 hours, So they screwed me out of $450 & would not change it. I paid for the while year in advance. Cancelled before the year is up & then they send me a bill for $47. They never reimbursed me for my storage time discount. They were totally incompetent. The only thing they are good at is taking your money. NEVER Again will I do anything with Good Sam or Camping World.
I performed a "search" on this site and a few others. There are many threads for insurance and I researched many sites on the web. I found and read ALOT of useful information. I contacted ten or more companies to compare coverage and cost and I contacted RV dealers to ask who was easy to work with and who was not. What I learned:

1. Each state has different rates for each company
Example: The same coverage with the same RV with the same person can be different depending on where you live; and some companies don't operate in certain states

2. Coverage options vary by company and there are many factors: age of RV, type of RV, original owner or not, driving record, location and claims from your area you live to name a few. Then what type of coverage you want?
Examples of Options: Full Timers coverage, Full Replacement coverage, Agreed Value coverage, Current Value coverage, Storage option, diminishing deductible, Vacation Liability, Road Service and more. Then there’s comprehensive and collision coverage and for others that require the uninsured and underinsured coverage.

3. Service from the carrier is very important, this I found very useful on the "search" and sites like RipOff.com and other review sites. Some companies have great reviews on service and others have not so good reviews. Call as many of the RV dealers up to 200 miles in your area and ask which insurance companies are good to work with and who is not. The previous post above is very similar to comments I received from RV service shops about Good Sam.

4. Do your research, ask questions, request policy coverage terms prior to making a decision and read them - just because someone says you’re covered for something doesn't mean you are - if it's not in writing it's not covered OR maybe it's excluded.
Example: I asked a question about a coverage item, I was "told" I was covered for that - I asked for it in writing - after the agent researched they concluded I was not covered for what I questioned. I watch the TV show "American Greed" and one company was selling policies like one aired on the show. They sold a policy with great coverage, but as you read the policy what you are paying for is excluded. It's "your" responsibility to do "your" research and remember "it's your money".

I'm not eligible for Replacement Coverage because with most companies you must insure your RV within 13 months of original purchase of the new RV (I just learned about this coverage) therefore I was not eligible for this coverage.

I did choose where I have a local agent I can speak with at any time; that's important to me. The best coverage for me was this for $450 a year:

Comprehensive: 1000 Deductible
Collision: 1000 Deductible
Diminishing Deductible: YES (25% each year without a claim)
Agreed Value: YES
Personal Effects: 3000 ($100 deductible)
RV Vacation Liability: 500,000
Road Service: YES

Vacation Liability Insurance is very low cost. This is very important in today's society ... if someone is injured at your campsite involving your RV or camping gear - you are financially responsible. If you don't have this separate policy/coverage it will go against your home owner’s policy and raise your home owner’s policy rate. I have an umbrella policy to cover everything, but I want this additional low cost separate vacation liability coverage to protect me financially, to keep things separate yet all combined. If you get this, read the policy to see what is covered and what is not covered; they’re not all the same.

Always request a copy of the policy prior to any agreement and read it. I’m a person that reads and asks many questions. I’m interested in the “total loss” part of insurance; below is a comparison between two companies for the “total loss” replacement coverage – can you see the fine print?

GOOD SAM’S POLICY REPLACEMENT COVERAGE
LIMIT OF LIABILITY

The LIMIT OF LIABILITY section is replaced by the following:

A. If you have elected to replace the recreational vehicle covered under this endorsement, during its model year or during the four following calendar years, our limit of liability will be the cost of a new recreational vehicle subject to the following:

1. We will pay you the lesser of the:

a. Actual cash value of the recreational vehicle covered under this endorsement at the time of loss;

b. The purchase price of the recreational vehicle covered under this endorsement;

c. The purchase price of the recreational vehicle covered under this endorsement as stated on the Declarations Page;

PROGRESSIVE POLICY
TOTAL LOSS REPLACEMENT/PURCHASE PRICE COVERAGE
If you have paid the premium for this coverage for a covered vehicle and we determine there is a total loss to that covered vehicle:
1. The limit of liability for a covered vehicle for which Total Loss Replacement/Pur­chase Price Coverage was purchased is as follows:
a. When the covered vehicle is, at the time of loss, the current model year or the first through fourth preceding model year, the applicable limit of liability will be as follows:
(i) We will pay the actual cash value of the covered vehicle at the time of loss reduced by the applicable deductible.
(ii) If you wish to replace the covered vehicle, you must notify us within 14 days of the payment described in item (i) above. If you so notify us, we will identify and offer to you a vehicle to replace the covered vehicle. The vehicle we offer to you will:
(a) be of any model year, as determined by us, but no older than the model year of the covered vehicle being replaced;
(b) not have previously had a title issued or recorded to any person or entity, other than a dealer or manufacturer; and
(c) be, to the extent possible, the same make, class, size and type as, and will contain reasonably similar equipment to, the covered vehicle.
b. When the covered vehicle is, at the time of loss, the fifth preceding model year or older, the applicable limit of liability will be the purchase price re­duced by the applicable deductible.

AGREED VALUE COVERAGE
If you pay the premium for this coverage for a covered vehicle, the following provi­sion shall apply to a loss to that covered vehicle:
1. The limit of liability for a loss to a covered vehicle for which Agreed Value Cover­age was purchased is as follows:
a. for a loss that we determine is a total loss to a covered vehicle, our limit of li­ability is the agreed value for that covered vehicle reduced by the applicable deductible.
Timbren & Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
sonic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:52 AM   #45

Originally Posted by kenword:
"The owner of Camping World and Good Sam’s said he doesn’t want our business"

Quote:
Originally Posted by T11ravis View Post
What do you mean?
"Us" as in existing RV owners vs. newbies?
Since this post has taken a decidedly ugly political track, any suggestion to use/not use GS insurance should be based on performance.

For all others, if you care at all about what was said by whom, you can either follow/believe Gateway Pundit, Daily Wire, Breitbart, Fox News, et al or search for an unbiased view:

https://www.snopes.com/camping-world-ceo-trump/

Your choice.
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #46

Insurers

I pay for the top classes of Good Sam, AAA and State Farm. Recently on a 90 degree day on a very busy I 80, I lost a wheel bearing on my TT. Since I was in a large RV area and 13 miles from a Camping World, I chose to call Good Sam. They left me stranded for 5 hours next to 70 mph traffic and finally told me I could contact a telephone number and they would come and chain up my axle. Then I could "drive someplace to get it fixed". But I "would have to pay for it myself". I then called AAA and in 30 minutes, had a truck there. He chained up the axle, led me off the freeway and to an RV and Truck repair shop just 5 miles from me where I found a great service staff and excellent work. Guess who I'm not renewing!
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
Originally Posted by kenword:

"The owner of Camping World and Good Sam’s said he doesn’t want our business"

Since this post has taken a decidedly ugly political track, any suggestion to use/not use GS insurance should be based on performance.

For all others, if you care at all about what was said by whom, you can either follow/believe Gateway Pundit, Daily Wire, Breitbart, Fox News, et al or search for an unbiased view:

https://www.snopes.com/camping-world-ceo-trump/

Your choice.

Well for me I will not use goodsam or camping world again. You do what you like, your choice
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
I am looking at switching my current TT insurance from State Farm to Good Sam’s….Does anyone use Good Sam’s or recommend them ? One of the reasons for the switch is the coverage provided. I'm still doing research on the subject like the contents...etc. the deductibles are the same for both policies and the overall cost is the same for both.

According to State Farm my trailer a 2016 Rockwood 2703 is being covered for $33,175 I am being told that in the event of a total loss that the actual cash value is replacement coast minus depreciation.

The Good Sam’s policy I am looking at provided full replacement value in the first five years (Of Model Year) if my TT is a total loss. Meaning I will get a new 2018 Rockwood 2703 after the five years I am being told I will get purchase price if a total loss which will stay in effect for the lifetime of the policy.

Any input would be appreciated on the subject...I know there are alot of variables with policies but not sure which ones are the most important or what to look for...Not a good feeling when you don't know what your paying for
In my quest to find an insurance carrier that was able to fit my needs better State Farm I decided after researching and receiving numerous quotes from other carriers I chose to go with Progressive for my needs they offered the best protection at the best price....Thanks everyone for your input.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:36 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Well for me I will not use goodsam or camping world again. You do what you like, your choice
I feel the same way !!!
ksmith954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by flattyattack View Post
Can some of you recommend a good RV Insurance? We had ours with State Farm for a number of years but switched to National General. Their rate does keep going up for sure, just got the policy renewal and it jumped a lot. We do put it in storage every year about the time of renewal and take it out in the spring so basically we have 5 months in storage and 7 months out. I really like this feature, but willing to change for a good policy. Never had a claim.

2013 36CKTS
Cedar Creek Touring
2014 Chevy 4x4 2500HD Duramax Diesel
I have progressive and they dropped it 10% for year two.
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:28 PM   #51

Good Sams Insurance which is National General Insurance

I have been with them for 1 year without any accidents or claims

My full year premium jumped 35% from $557 (2017) to the new policy 2018 with the same coverage to $756.
$199 increase

The customer service reason is that it was its yearly company correction.
So did everyone that had a auto policy in the US get a 35% increase also?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #52

These people are the worst. I had a valid hail claim and it took them months to authorize repair and at the end they ripped me off $500 by changing the rate they reimbursed for labor from what they had quoted. They had paid the original quoted rate on the first batch of repairs. After that they would not talk to me. RUN as fast as you can form these people. As I learned; better to pay a little more to a good company than this bunch of bums.
Waynedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:39 PM   #53

Everything went up here too.. Car insurance went up $200 overall for 6 months and trailer insurance $100. No claims, tickets, etc... My uninsured insurance went up more than anything else.

'17: 42
'18: 25
Dan_M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good sam, insurance