Old 12-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #11
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhyer View Post
Lojack is self powered. Trucking companies usually use gps, not Lojack which uses RF
I sit corrected then.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I wouldn't waist my money, It very uncommon for a whole RV to go missing. The only people I know of that use such a system is trucking company's to know where there driver is. Lo jack will only work in 29 states that is not what the truck ind. uses.
X2. Check your RV insurance replacement cost policy, and your homeowners as well. Contents are covered under your homeowners. Usually, your insurance company becomes your enemy, when you make a claim. Also, as a general rule, keep a seperate folder of all RV items that you purchased. Nothing pleases an insurance company more than good records to substanciate a claim, if your unit is stolen.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
X2. Check your RV insurance replacement cost policy, and your homeowners as well. Contents are covered under your homeowners. Usually, your insurance company becomes your enemy, when you make a claim. Also, as a general rule, keep a seperate folder of all RV items that you purchased. Nothing pleases an insurance company more than good records to substanciate a claim, if your unit is stolen.
Our 2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 305RKDS was stolen last November 11 despite the hitch ball lock being in place, found a week later, and returned to us. Since then, it has been a nightmare, dealing with the detective and police, insurance, RV dealerships, etc. The thief and a boy were living in our TT for a week. I just simply couldn't keep it so we traded it in for a 2015 Heritage Glen 302FK.

This is why we are looking into a GPS tracking device. We have bought another hitch ball lock, padlock for the coupler latch, and tire boot lock. We are not sure whether to add the GPS tracking device.

LoJack doesn't cover the area where we live so that is out of the question.
pulled by 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
OBX Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #14
Infractee

Me personally, mine gets stolen, I hope it stays that way so I would not add a tracking device...
Old 12-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Me personally, mine gets stolen, I hope it stays that way so I would not add a tracking device...

X2. Somebody living in my trailer using my stuff. Eewwwww!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 12-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhyer View Post
Lojack is self powered. Trucking companies usually use gps, not Lojack which uses RF
This is probably true but if you read the lo jack add it plainly states that it will work in only 29 states. If you think the thief will stay in them 29 states go for it. I also have a policy that covers all extras that I installed to be added on with the proof I did it and replaced with a new unit no depreciation. So let them have it I'll get a 2015 model Diamond pack instead.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #17

here is some ways to make you safe
Camping trailers and RVs can be easy targets for thieves, as they can just drive away with not only with the valuables inside, but your trailer as well. RV crime is increasing and it’s becoming a serious concern for those who travel with their campers and trailers every year.
If you are a seasoned RV traveler or are new to the camping lifestyle, keep these tips in mind to keep your camper safe from would-be burglars.
Consider how you park your trailer.
When you arrive to the RV lot or campsite, or even if the camper is in your driveway, it’s important to consider how you will park your trailer. Most people will reverse their camper into a parking spot. Positioning the camper this way makes it easier to drive off when you’re ready to go home, but it also makes it easier for someone to hitch up your trailer (or jump in your car to take it) and be gone while you’re away hiking or enjoying the area.
Instead, turn your camper around and put the hitch away from the standard access. This will deter a potential thieves because they would have to physically turn the camper in order to steal it, which takes more time. You’ll need a jockey wheel or tongue wheel to park this way, which you can get at your local travel/outdoor store.
Secure your trailer in every way.
Locking your trailer goes beyond just locking the doors and windows, although these are important measures to take. In this case, consider a lock that goes around the kingpin. There are a variety of options available, with the two most popular locks being a pad lock and a cylinder lock. Both go over the kingpin. The cylinder lock, however, has a locking mechanism that keeps it in place. Some cylinder locks even come with a special key that can’t be duplicated.
You may also want to consider getting a boot, which covers the wheel and prevents it from turning with an extension. The boot cover also prevents lugs from being stolen from the wheel. Thieves may try to change tires on the camper, even with a boot cover, so be sure to choose one that covers the lugs so tires can’t be changed.
keep your RV safe
Eliminate temptations.
The idea of “out of sight, out of mind” applies when you’re home as well as when you’re out camping. Eliminate any temptations around your camping spot by keeping valuables out of sight, locking doors and windows, and cleaning up your camping area. You may also want to:
Pull the shades. You don’t want your hiking gear or your cooking equipment to be taken simply because someone can see the items through the window.
Camp around other people. There’s safety in numbers. Camping around other people means there’s someone to look out for your space. Plus, thieves usually avoid populated areas.
Get a safe. If you are traveling with any valuables, consider bringing along a small safe to keep your cash, credit cards, or jewelry safe.
Find the right security system.
It’s wise to invest in the right security system for your camper. You can choose from many options, such as alarms, a deadbolt, or motion detecting lights. In most cases, securing your RV is a small price to pay for the peace of mind you receive.
Many RV owners enjoy the security that comes with motion detector lights. If you are camping in the middle of nowhere, or even when your RV is parked in your own driveway, it can get pretty dark at night. A motion detector light can help you feel safer as you enjoy your surroundings. A motion detector light will detect objects like cars, people, or animals. When motion is detected, the light turns on and stays on for a preset time, usually about 20 seconds. The light shuts off when the motion is no longer detected.
Many security systems come with motion detectors as part of the package. You can look for options with the lights built in to your RV or you can install lights on your own. If you choose to install your own motion sensor lights, be sure to place lights 6 to 10 feet above the ground and point them toward the anywhere there is dark space. Consider placing lights behind the camper, at the door, and on any corners.
Implement these tips to help keep your RV and what’s inside of it safe, whether it’s parked at home or out on an adventure.
RV theft

Hillary Johnston
A proud mother of four, Hillary is passionate about safety education. She holds a degree in Public Health and Disaster Management.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #18

Years ago had a boat and kept a lock on the ball socket locking lever. Just like on a camper. Lost keys while on a trip and found that with next to no effort was able to take off the tightening nut on the bottom of the locking lever and unhitch the boat. So much for locks on hitches. The whole cover locks I've seen must be better.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBX Forever View Post
Our 2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 305RKDS was stolen last November 11 despite the hitch ball lock being in place, found a week later, and returned to us. Since then, it has been a nightmare, dealing with the detective and police, insurance, RV dealerships, etc. The thief and a boy were living in our TT for a week. I just simply couldn't keep it so we traded it in for a 2015 Heritage Glen 302FK.

This is why we are looking into a GPS tracking device. We have bought another hitch ball lock, padlock for the coupler latch, and tire boot lock. We are not sure whether to add the GPS tracking device.

LoJack doesn't cover the area where we live so that is out of the question.
Lojack would have allowed the kid a shorter stay! My point is unchanged your ememy is your insurance co. when you need to file the claim. Either complain to your agent, or live with the jerk around mentality that persists with filing a claim.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #20

Our in home RV security system is our 85 lb. American Bulldog. Lol really, she is. The nicest dog ever outside the camper or house but totally guards both when she's inside. Don't know how she got this way. She's a rescue. Very well behaved and a non barker; till you invade her space. And yes we leave her un attended sometimes. But, we also lock our coupler. Keep valuables out of site. Close blinds if we're not there. Our RV sits in our driveway and we still employ the hitch lock. And park our auxiliary vehicle in front of it. Hoping to build a garage to house the RV and vehicles. Lucky we have the space! And I know it can still be stolen. I've been at horse shows where horse trailers have disappeared. The best you can do is make it as difficult as possible so thieves well move on to easier pickings. Stay safe out there!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums