Old 08-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #1
Guidance Needed

I am just now starting my research into my first RV purchase. I know nothing except that for my use a class B + or C would be best. I probably don't need more than 26-28 feet in length. Primary use will be weekend business travel.I may have the need to bring a golf cart/4 wheeler along. Mostly by myself but some wife and small(9&11) grandkids(2)Sooo I'm looking for recommendations as to quality brands and value for dollar. Most storage space(need room for some inventory) and gas or diesel. Also looking for opinions on "toy hauler" type class C's. When I use google, I find manufacturers and dealers propaganda and precious little real info. Virtually no pricing info other than msrp's. I really need some direction on getting specifics such as gas mileage and real world pricing.
Any help would be appreciated

Joespapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
For new...I think the prevailing opinion for gas mileage is around 8-10mpg on a class C using the Ford450 engine. The only models getting 15mpg would be diesels which you pay for up front.
Discounts on new seem to run in the 25-30% range vs. MSRP on most popular brand class C's.
Check out in Texas for some on line examples of list vs. discounted. Many dealers won't go that low...but it helps to have some perspective.

As to toy haulers...they tend to be a lot bigger than the 25-28 feet or so you need...Suggest you think about carrying the cart ON the hitch or on a swivel wheel behind the motorhome. Check tongue weight restrictions on any coach you are looking at as many have class 3 hitches without the full 500 lb. tongue capacity.
Also would consider small class A like the FR3 and others designed to bridge the gap between A & C.
Good luck hunting!

2015 Georgetown 280DS
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote