Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #1

Hail Damage

Morning All,

Long time lurker seldom poster. I have gained a lot of knowledge from you folks and I appreciate it.

Here's the scoop. We had a pretty wicked storm come through with 60+ mph and golf ball sized hail. I have a 2019 Surveyor 287BHSS and a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 TV. Both got hammered pretty good. The vent covers all broke/blew off with the vent and screen above the bed in the bedroom being ripped off completely. It rained inside the bedroom pretty good. The truck's roof, hood, bed cover and one quarter panel got beat up too.

My question is, what can I expect out of the insurance company? I've never filed a claim in 22 years of insuring homes/vehicles. Already called and an adjuster is on the way, probably Monday. Ive covered the vent with a tarp to prevent more rain coming in. The roof itself looks ok, but, I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Z
zmandunk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #2

Time you have faithfully paid your premiums to the insurance company has no bearing on what they will cover and how much. What happens depends on what is in the fine print and remember the adjuster is not there for your benefit they represent the insurance company. My advice is make a list of everything (including pics) you see that was caused by the storm (write it down) no matter how small and insignificant it may seem, then go over each item with the adjuster and make them write it down and weather covered or not. that gives you something to fall back on if you have to contest the results. Good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #3

I've never filed for hail damage on an RV but I have for my Ram truck (with Progressive.) I was very pleased with the outcome. The adjusted found damage that I hadn't noticed, and the results of popping out the dents was amazing! No repainting required on my truck.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #4

All the adjusters I have worked with were actually independents who adjusted for several insurance companies. They also always found more damage than I ever saw. They always put in a clause which allowed for increasing funds for repair if more damage was found once the repair was started.
We had a five year old Terry fifth wheel with the tin panels instead of fiberglass.
It was totalled. Not only was the tin siding damaged, but the entire roof foundation needed replacing. You could feel golf ball size dents in the plywood underneath the rubber covering.
We bought the RV back from the insurance company with a salvage title and used it for another year or so, then sold it to a farm as a security shack (cash deal). Worked out well for us financially
Hope yours can be repaired, but if not, it's not the worst thing that could happen
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote