Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
RVWholesalers Representative

Help fight Cequent's Pricing Policies!!!!

As many of you know I am one of the owner's of RVWholesalers and I wanted to bring something to your attention. Cequent who is the parent company of many rv products including Reese hitches and Prodigy brake controls is trying to protect dealers/service centers over charging for their products. Cequent announced a short while ago that they are now going to enforce MAP pricing. What this means to you the retail customer is the price you see on every website will be set at a minimum. No dealer can show their "low price" now. The only reason to do this is to ensure that the dealers who want to over charge the consumer have an easier time to do it. This is the same company that is in the process of moving manufacturing from Indiana to Mexico. I need your help in fighting this, we have refused at RVWholesalers to comply with this MAP and have now been placed on a "do not sell list". Distributors are no longer allowed to sell us cequent products until we comply. Well, we are not going to. I am tired of this industry allowing dealers to overcharge and take advantage of customers. It has to stop somewhere and this is where I am drawing a line in the sand. Will you stand with us? Will you contact cequent and register a complaint and let them know that as long as they have MAP pricing you will not purchase thier products? Also, please mention to them that they need to keep their manufacturing in the US. Thank you for your help, this process has to stop somewhere. I am going to begin by filing a BBB complaint against them for unfair practices. Have a great day and thank you for your help!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #2

Just sent this;
"To Whom It May Concern,
Due to your MAP pricing policy and the pending manufacturing move to a facility outside of the USA, I will no longer consider purchasing any product that you offer.
Good day,
Thomas"
Old 03-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #3

Twisty, thank you very much, I really believe it is time to stop allowing major corporations to have so much control over our lives. Thank you for your help!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #4

You're welcome. It may not seem like much but at least I try to do something.
I try to buy US and support "good" policies. It is not easy.
I have some very very strong opinions about what is happening in this country. If I let you all know...
I'd get in trouble pretty quick!! LOL!!!!
Sadly, it is no laughing matter...
I wish you well my friend
Old 03-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #5

I think you and I would agree on many things, thank you again, and all efforts make a difference in this world, we just need more people to do something!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
Grape Escape

I thought price fixing was illegal. But then again I thought crime was illegal too but it seems white collar crime is not. Any bankers or mortgage brokers or financial industry professionals ever served a day for the financial mess the country is in?
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
Old 03-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #7

dezolen, they (cequent) claim it is not price fixing because I can sell at any price I want, but I have to advertise their "set" price. The problem this causes is when a customer goes shopping they see the same price everywhere or higher prices. So they have no way of seeing who is cheaper and then end up buying and paying much more then they have to. So it protects dealers who want to overcharge. They are trying to protect the wrong people, the people who over charge customers.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sent a email as well !

Turbs
Old 03-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #9

Thank you Turbs! Let's post this all over the internet and let's all contact them and we can defeat these unfair policies! Thanks again!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Mr Durnell...

The way that low price retailers (like Amazon) are able to continue to price lower AND make the prices available for viewing is by making patrons add the product to their shopping cart and then the prices can be visable to the consumer. This is the way around MAP pricing.

You might have your web devs look into that for your site.

I hope that helps you ....

PS..If this works for ya I'll expect a check in the mail!! Just kiddin

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
Old 03-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #11

DnD, you are correct, there are ways around it, but why do we have to keep playing games? Why can't an honest price be given and shown for the retail customer to quickly and easily shop? My main problem with MAP pricing is that it is being used by the manufacturers to protect overcharging by local dealers. Thank you though for the advice, it is greatly appreciated and I really appreciate you taking the time to communicate it. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddurnell View Post
DnD, you are correct, there are ways around it, but why do we have to keep playing games? Why can't an honest price be given and shown for the retail customer to quickly and easily shop? My main problem with MAP pricing is that it is being used by the manufacturers to protect overcharging by local dealers. Thank you though for the advice, it is greatly appreciated and I really appreciate you taking the time to communicate it. Thank you!
You're welcome.

While I do believe in your fight and support it 100%. I also understand you have a business to run and customers to serve. I was hoping this method would allow you to do both...fight, improve your bottom line and serve your customers.

Best of luck to you sir in your endeavors!

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
Old 03-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #13

DnD, Good point, and we will have to incorporate this method for parts, we currently use it for MAP pricing with travel trailers, fifth wheels and motorhomes. I still believe though that it is time to stand up and force companies to do the right thing. Thank you again! Good sound advice!!!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnD View Post
Mr Durnell...

The way that low price retailers (like Amazon) are able to continue to price lower AND make the prices available for viewing is by making patrons add the product to their shopping cart and then the prices can be visable to the consumer. This is the way around MAP pricing.

You might have your web devs look into that for your site.

I hope that helps you ....

PS..If this works for ya I'll expect a check in the mail!! Just kiddin

Some Honda dealers do the same thing and other mfgrs. as well.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #15

Any way to get Coastal RV lower their price for us Canadians. We have to pay almost double for the same parts sold in the USA. When the dollar was so different they had a reason to charge more but the dollar is at par. We are getting ripped off and no way to stop it. We cannot stop buying from Coastal because they are the only players in the game in Canada. I am one of the lucky ones that have access to the border. We are only 1/2 drive from a large US RV store. Our local dealership when to Coastal and did get some products at US prices. The dealer showed be his invoice for a part that I ordered. His cost was higher then the selling price in the states. We do have free trade lets so it in our RV parts.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Dave,

There are several wholesale priced web sites I frequent that have similar "minimum price requirements" displayed on their web site.

The way they handle it is to NOT post the price; but list the item as "Too Low To Display; See actual price in the shopping cart."

The web surfer can then see what he or she will actually pay before they buy and still beat the "price fixers" at their own game.

I have a bit of a complaint about YOUR web site.

In the past, a shopper could actually see the wholesale (dealer invoice) price of options in addition to the dealer invoice price for the camper before you changed your format (under duress from the manufacturers I know).

Now, you configure your camper and a salesman emails you a price for the entire unit. This makes it very difficult to compare apples to apples when shopping for the best price. If you MUST continue this practice; please instruct your sales people to individually price base price and options so the buyer is informed about actual option impact on the total price.

Herk
Closed Thread