Old 01-22-2018, 10:58 AM   #1

Help me pick out a Television and mount

Hey guys need about a 40" tv and good locking mount. Going in my new Salem 27dbk. Any ideas will be great!!! Wanted something really thin. I picked up a 43". But its over 3" wide. Also really confused on mounts! Lol.

Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #2
Just as confused as you

If you are talking about the front to back dimension (depth) then I don't think your going to find anything much less. You have to have someplace for the electronic components. You need space for coils, circuit boards, heat sinks and transformers. Even though they are smaller than those in the tube type tv's, they still need room for air space around them.

Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #3

Lots of mounts available on Amazon, a few at Harbor Freight. Do you need a pivot type, or just up and down? If up and down I've bought a couple from Amazon for $20 or so. Adjustable for various widths and multiple mounting screws so very strong.
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggs View Post
Hey guys need about a 40" tv and good locking mount. Going in my new Salem 27dbk. Any ideas will be great!!! Wanted something really thin. I picked up a 43". But its over 3" wide. Also really confused on mounts! Lol.
I just bought a TCL Smart TV 40" from Amazon ($269 right now). Only 1080i HD but good enough for me.

Just under 3" thick but extremely light. Full motion mount (on sing arm that also tilts) was $25. Whole unit folds against the wall extending about the width of a piece of 2X4. That's about as "thin" as it gets. What was amazing was the weight. Super light compared to other TV's. The smart function and built in Roku allows one to connect to wifi and stream movies from Netflix, Amazon, etc.

This is my second TCL smart TV , a 55" for the Family Room and the 40" for the bedroom. When the Furion in my Travel Trailer craps out I'll put in another TCL.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #5

My father used to work for Zenith, and we had beautiful Zenith console TVs growing up. I remember our first color TV, I was 16 years old. Today I could not list five TV manufacturers and if my father was alive he would be well past his 100th birthday.
I seriously do not think it matters what brand you get. Choose your features. Most important to me is how easy it is to work the remote and the size of the buttons. A well secured mount and strap is again more important than brand.
FYI- On a trip to China I saw a manufacturing plant which would fill several football fields it made TVs- all different brands. I also saw a shoe factory, even larger,which made all different brand shoes.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:23 PM   #6

We've gotten a lot of mounts from Monoprice.com and they have been very good. Prices are great and the selection is very large. They are a good company and sell a lot of cables, and other equipment as well. You should be able to find something there.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:24 PM   #7

We have had 2 Vizios in our MH for 6 years. We traveled 10,000 miles on an Alaska trip, 7,000 miles on a western trip, back and forth to Texas spring and fall and lots of places in between. Lots of rough roads. Not a problem with either tv. Ours are on stationary mounts slightly modified to tile downward for proper screen viewing - got the mounts at Menards. Behind the TVs we slid in some styrofoam to keep the bounce down. Works great.
frogsandhogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:08 PM   #8

I have a full motion mount that I bought on Amazon that allows you remove the TV and take it outside. It says it can handle up to a 50" television. Search for RV television mounts.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:33 PM   #9

I you can find a OLED and want to pay for it. LG has a series of flat screen OLED tv's that measure 2.57mm thick. That is less than a 1/4" thick. Problem though is that the smallest one LG has is 55". Good luck in your search.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
My father used to work for Zenith, and we had beautiful Zenith console TVs growing up. I remember our first color TV, I was 16 years old. Today I could not list five TV manufacturers and if my father was alive he would be well past his 100th birthday.
Our family's first TV was a Zenith too. 13 channels and to change them there was a switch that went "Clunk, Clunk, Clunk" as you rotated the dial. Sometimes you had to wiggle it back and forth to get the picture to clear up.

As for Chinese TV's (a well as other products) I'm old enough to remember how we all talked down any product from Japan post WWII. After a couple decades Japan became the Gold Standard for a lot of consumer products, namely electronics and optic's (Is anyone aware that during WWII the US Navy used binoculars that were purchased from Japan due to their quality?) China has done pretty much the same as Japan did. They have developed a world market and have stepped up their game to provide some really decent products. For now their labor costs are low but that will change as China grows economically.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 01-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #11

Vizio tv's are not made in China they are built in Irvine California. Just FYI . we have had two of them in our rv for 4 yrs and haven't had any problems with either one. Bought a swing arm mount from Cosco that is rated up to 40"tv and haven't had any problems.we have traveled 38000 miles all over country without a tv problem.

2013 Rockwood 2608ws
2013 Ram 2500 4x4 mega cab hemi
US Air Force Msgt retired
Joe-Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Barb View Post
Vizio tv's are not made in China they are built in Irvine California. Just FYI . we have had two of them in our rv for 4 yrs and haven't had any problems with either one. Bought a swing arm mount from Cosco that is rated up to 40"tv and haven't had any problems.we have traveled 38000 miles all over country without a tv problem.

2013 Rockwood 2608ws
2013 Ram 2500 4x4 mega cab hemi
US Air Force Msgt retired
Vizio Headquarters are in Irvine but the back of the sets say "Made In China".

Hard to swallow the "Made in America" argument when it usually boils down to merely "Assembled in America" with parts that were sourced in foreign companies like a Model Airplane Kit.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 01-30-2018, 08:52 AM   #13

I installed a Best Buy brand TV in our bedroom works fine wasn't that much, whet thru many TV wall mounts that are not RV specific but cost less and were flimsy never installed them. Purchased a MORryde and it's worth every penny paid and is RV specific, moves to get the TV in the correct position & locks into place during transit I highly recommend the MORryde RV mounts cost more yes, made in America yes, work great yes, customer service yes.
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Vizio Headquarters are in Irvine but the back of the sets say "Made In China".

Hard to swallow the "Made in America" argument when it usually boils down to merely "Assembled in America" with parts that were sourced in foreign companies like a Model Airplane Kit.
The First Vizio I bought was made in USA but all the ones I bought later were made in China so far the first one is still going and only 2 out of 5 of the newer China made ones are working. The first one also said made in USA and cost the most over $1700 for a 42" TV now you can find them for around $200-$300 dollars.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:34 PM   #15

Just picked up a 24 inch Insignia Roku TV at Best Buy for our upcoming trailer for $119.00. Figure we can hook up to cable or our built in antenna, but when we have park WiFi available, we can switch over and use the Roku interface if the speed is good enough. I can also load up movies and stuff on a USB drive and use the Roku media center to watch things offline.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:12 PM   #16

Don't ever count on the campground WiFi. It is rarely fast enough and even when it movie streaming is often against the rules.
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:56 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
The First Vizio I bought was made in USA but all the ones I bought later were made in China so far the first one is still going and only 2 out of 5 of the newer China made ones are working. The first one also said made in USA and cost the most over $1700 for a 42" TV now you can find them for around $200-$300 dollars.
Vizio is an American based company but manufacturing is in Mexico and China.

Kind of like Champion generators.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post

First LCD TV we bought was one of them Vizio 42 inch for $1700 - still working great nearly 15 years later.

Probably bought 4 or 5 $2,000 computers way back when too.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:50 AM   #19

Proof in the pudding

we have used the following mount on many size TVs for years. this mount has changed some but not to much over the past 10 years. we have used it on 24", 36", 50" with absolutely no problems. and many brands visio, sony, samngsun.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Full-Moti...&wl13=&veh=sem
4garylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggs View Post
Have a 55" in mine on a swivel mount. Slides right out of the way when not in use and sweet to watch!

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Retirement life........
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, television