Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2017, 12:54 PM   #1

Heritage Glen vs. Rockwood

I am currently shopping for a new camper. I have quotes on similarly equipped rear kitchen Heritage Glen and Rockwood units. Both price quotes are comparable. What is the difference between these 2 Forest River product lines? and which would you buy if offered the same deal for each.

Thanks for the input.
whealy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whealy4 View Post
I am currently shopping for a new camper. I have quotes on similarly equipped rear kitchen Heritage Glen and Rockwood units. Both price quotes are comparable. What is the difference between these 2 Forest River product lines? and which would you buy if offered the same deal for each.

Thanks for the input.
I have little experience with the Heritage Glen. But I've known a couple of people with Rockwoods and have found them to be well built and they just look like the people assembling them are in less of a hurry than many other brands I've torn into. My .02.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #3

I am assuming that you are looking at the HG 282RK and the Rockwood UL 2902WS. I own a 2018 2902 WS. Without knowing which brand has the better build quality I can't compare. However the Rockwood seems to be very well built. With the price being comparable I pick the Rockwood 2902WS for one reason. The slide out closet. The slide out closet allow you to enter the bedroom from the bath and one of the closet doors is in the bath. Also there is much more closet storage in the slide out closet.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #4

Ive got a '13 HG 272BH. (non rear kitchen model) Only a few issues. Slide out got "out of time" somehow, easy fix. Few interior trim pieces came loose, re-stapled, no problem. No electrical, LPG or water issues. LOTS of storage for us (three). Zero issues with the wireless remote system (stab jacks, awning, slide and outdoor lights)

Only complaints:
Would be nice to have bluetooth and usb compatibility in the radio/CD controller.
Kitchen taps suck. Replaced with household taps.
My trailer is heavier than advertised, which made a bigger TV required. Not 1/2ton friendly.
One piece of the fiberglass side has come delaminated, about the size of a dinnerplate.
The trailer is tall, 3 steps to get inside. I guess that's to accommodate bigger wheels?
A bigger freshwater tank would be good. Its a gardenhose fill attachment, not a "insert hose here" gravity fill. Sometimes if your not paying attention the FW will partially siphon out.

If I were in the market to buy another trailer would I look at a HG again? I would.
dodosmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:59 PM   #5

We have a 2014 HG 282RK and love it. What sold the wife on it was it had the most kitchen counter space and a double stacked linen closet in the bathroom. Happy wife, happy life!

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:27 PM   #6

FWIW, if you decide on the Rockwood, also check for dealers of Flagstaff. Flagstaff should have an identical unit with the only differences being cosmetic - interior colors and decals on the outside. Flagstaff and Rockwoods are made in the same plant at the same time. You might be able to play the dealers for a better price. Or you might like the color scheme of the Flagstaff better.

We are happy with our 2017 Flagstaff.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:06 PM   #7

We have 2018 Rockwood 8301WS and love it. We have taken several weekend camping trips since we purchased in April and have had no problems
2003 Ford F-250 super duty diesel
Vinemont, AL
Triple SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:07 PM   #8

You don't say which models you are looking at. I think the Rockwood/Flagstaff are better built than the Wildwood/Salem. JMHO
98 days camping 2017 98 days camping 2018
94 days camping 2019 49 days camping 2020
Wayne Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Joan View Post
You don't say which models you are looking at. I think the Rockwood/Flagstaff are better built than the Wildwood/Salem. JMHO
X2
2003 Ford F-250 super duty diesel
Vinemont, AL
Triple SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:53 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Joan View Post
x3!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by whealy4 View Post

Thanks for the input.
The only thing I can tell you is I own a 2017 Heritage Glen RK282 and have had very good luck with it so far. My wife and I both like the layout and we picked this one because of the recliner chairs so she can keep her legs elevated and the rear kitchen setup. The only rockwood I had was many years ago and it was a popup that I had a lot of trouble with. I assume that a either trailer would be good. I have had 3 FR's in a row and have had very good luck with each. Good luck on your decision, I know it can be a daunting experience sometimes.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:40 PM   #12

Do not know about Heritage Glen. Have had a Forest River A frame and a Forest River Sierra fifth wheel. I now own a Rockwood. The Rockwood's quality is far above the other two Forest Rivers I owned.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood