Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2015, 09:29 PM   #41
B47

One thing about cc's that doesn't involve fraud,but nevertheless could is getting the wrong cc back from the waiter.

My personal experience with this was when several of us inspectors ate dinner one night while in training at OKC. Because all of us were on per Diem,we each used our Goverment issued cc to pay.

Having done this before without any problems,I started to put the cc the waiter gave me in my wallet. It was then that another inspector said that he had my cc - I looked and sure enough,I had his.

Because the cc's looked identical except for the name,expiration date and numbers,the waiter had given us the wrong cc's back.

From that time on,I always check to make sure I have the correct cc back.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:46 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I never use debit cards always credit cards.
I never use auto pay. NO ONE is authorized to take money out of
my checking or savings account but me or my wife.

IF my credit card gets hacked it's THEIR money that's missing not mine....

I agree 100%.... no debit cards and no auto pay.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:57 PM   #43

I Never sign the back of any of my CC cards.

The newer CC come with 'Chips' installed in them with your 'info' and can be used with a 'card reader'.... I have Drilled Out and Removed the chips from All of my cards.

I have even taken to not even sign my name on the receipts of any place I use a CC at.... I will just make a big X.... No one... NOT one person has ever questioned the "X" on the receipt for a signature.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:59 AM   #44
Site Team - Lou

I have solved the restaurant issue by always paying cash in restaurants and bars. The folks like the cash tips too.

Diesel stations are the worst as many that take the cards directly at the pump for gas, do not have readers on the diesel pumps.

I "pre-pay" for the gallons the driver information canter says I burned since the last fill up. If they insist (some smaller private stations) on keeping the card anyway, my DW stays there and keeps an eyeball on the card.

This double swipe scam took me by complete surprise as she was a very smooth operator (and cute as I recall).

From what I have read about how the RFID "chip" works, removing it will soon not be an option as merchants convert to the newer secure scanners that require it to buy from them. This insures that the "white credit/debit card scam will not ever work again as only YOUR card will work the scanner.

Which Credit Cards Have RFID? | LowCards.com

There are VERY simple prevention methods for securing your chip without destroying your credit card.

Credit Card Protection Sleeve | Identity Stronghold

For 2 bucks ($9.99 for 5) you just slide the card in a sleeve and you are safe.

As to not signing the back (an X is ok (I guess) as long as it is your actual signature), in many government offices, the card will be declined (like the post office). Signing it is actually more secure than not, because an alert cashier will compare the signature on the scanner (shows up on her screen) to the back of the card.

"Ask for ID" is not acceptable at the post office either as I found out some years ago.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:40 AM   #45
Site Team

I agree that the CC companies can't get the chip cards out soon enough.
As Lou said, that will help prevent card cloning.
My Capital One card allows me to put our photo on the front (or any photo for that matter.)
I thought having my face on the front would be good back up if my card
is lost or stolen but it turns out that the vast majority of check out clerks never look at the photo.
Sometimes I mention that we're on the front of the card and they are like
"yeah, cool" and I know they never looked or cared....

The Post Office doesn't care that my photo is on the front they insist the back is signed but they have absolutely no way of knowing if the person handing them the card is the one who signed the back! They never compare signatures as far as I can tell.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:46 AM   #46
(Dry Huunday)

Bunch of good tips!
I am amazed at the number of people that get offended when the cashier actually asks to see an ID when handed a credit card. It really isn't an inconvenience since you have to pull the CC out of your wallet/purse anyways and they are trying to protect YOU, after all! I make sure I thank them whenever I am asked!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #47
fx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Bunch of good tips!
I am amazed at the number of people that get offended when the cashier actually asks to see an ID when handed a credit card. It really isn't an inconvenience since you have to pull the CC out of your wallet/purse anyways and they are trying to protect YOU, after all! I make sure I thank them whenever I am asked!

I have no problem being asked for ID when using a credit card.

As for the RFID chips I look forward to when the US adopts "chip and pin". That would virtually eliminate card cloning

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote