Old 05-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #41
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malco View Post
Why don't they just give you the best price they can at the start?
Because as Prof_fate said earlier; 20 percent of us are idiots.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malco View Post
Because if you cave to the pressure and threats of no service and or warranty on the same trailer they had shipped from the states only weeks before you went looking - for less than the US price you could have purchased it for - they win.

Same with my NB story. Why should I have taken an extra 18,000 dollars and tossed it away to buy the trailer which would have been transported a month eariler and set on the lot.

In Fredericton, last year end of season, the Jayco dealer had a 2010 26 foot trailer we looked at. I asked the salesperson 4 times what the best deal was "cash on the barrel" and "off the lot". 4 times he suggested we come in and look at financing options (which is where the bank pays them more than the retail price with interest rates over 25 yrs)

He came down 1,000$ off the price. A second dealer dropped 5 G's before we left their lot and I know the owner personally.

We got ours $15,899 Canadian less 7% exchange rate ($14786), 1,000 to deliver it, and add the 13% Canadina tax = $16,708 As stated before the RV Salem dealer wanted 33,899 tax in off the lot in Sussex. Just under 17,200 difference. With interest saved well over 20,000.

The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malco
I agree with your last sentence!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #44

In Ont. we have a large RV dealership with outlet all across Ont. This company have salesmen who are so dishonest they could slip under a snake. When I was looking for a TT 3 years ago they had a sale in Ottawa under the company name to RV liquidators. I went to the sale not knowing that it was the other company using a different name. The salesman started out by saying the TT had a MSRP of $38,000 and I could have it that day for $34,000 with no trade. I never purchase an item of this value on impulse and told the salesman that I would have to think it over. He responded that he only got paid if he sold a trailer and i needed to purchase one because I was wasting his time. I informed him to go and find a new customer because I was not ready to put my name on the final line. He left only to return 15 min. later and inform me that his boss had allowed him to drop the price another $2,000. I informed him again that I was not ready to buy. He left again only to return and offer another $1,000 off. I left the and went to a dealership about 50 miles away that sold the same model of trailers. I was talking to the owner (Brian) and told him I was just looking at the time and would not be purchasing a unit at the present time but if the price was right would be within the month. He showed me the identical TT as the dealer in Ottawa had and was listed for the grand price of $26,000 and if I did not have a trade it would be $24,000.
The dishonest dealer was also did the bait and switch. A friend of mine was looking at a 5er and got a price they thought was a good price and singed the papers. They then went to another town where the dealer had a lot and found the same 5er with a bit of cosmetic damage for $5,000 dollars less the the first lot.They then went back to the first lot and told the salesman that they had found the other 5er for a lower price. The salesman then informed them that the 5er was not available at the other lot because it was the one they had purchased. When they checked the vin number the salesman had sold them the damaged unit from the other lot. That is what I call a dishonest dealership. With their bad reputation they are still able to sell trailer to naive people.
caper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
In Ont. we have a large RV dealership with outlet all across Ont. This company have salesmen who are so dishonest they could slip under a snake. That is what I call a dishonest dealership. With their bad reputation they are still able to sell trailer to naive people.

Expose them. Save me the trouble of visiting their dealership.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #46

The dealership is Leisure Days RV. They have dealerships all across Ont. Several years ago the pulled a scam in the Toronto area. Every year all the dealers get together for a large RV show. Leisure Days advertised their show as the annual RV show but on a new date. They were banned from the Ontario RV dealers organization because of their games they play. When I was looking for a TT we saw one we liked in Smiths Falls. Before we left the salesman wanted me to sign a blank page titles intent to purchase. I would not sign the paper. He said that it was to be put on file so if a TT came in that we might be interested in he would call. I said I would give him my number but I would not sign any papers. I later found out that if I did sign the paper after I left they filled in the blanks and arranged financing and get the trailer registered in your name. After the allowed cool down time the phone and inform you that the trailer you wanted is ready for pickup. Several people have complained to BBB but they did sign a paper with out knowing what it was for. This company is dishonest i do not know how they can stay in business. A company like this gives the good dealers a bad name.
caper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
The dealership is Leisure Days RV. They have dealerships all across Ont. Several years ago the pulled a scam in the Toronto area. Every year all the dealers get together for a large RV show. Leisure Days advertised their show as the annual RV show but on a new date. They were banned from the Ontario RV dealers organization because of their games they play. When I was looking for a TT we saw one we liked in Smiths Falls. Before we left the salesman wanted me to sign a blank page titles intent to purchase. I would not sign the paper. He said that it was to be put on file so if a TT came in that we might be interested in he would call. I said I would give him my number but I would not sign any papers. I later found out that if I did sign the paper after I left they filled in the blanks and arranged financing and get the trailer registered in your name. After the allowed cool down time the phone and inform you that the trailer you wanted is ready for pickup. Several people have complained to BBB but they did sign a paper with out knowing what it was for. This company is dishonest i do not know how they can stay in business. A company like this gives the good dealers a bad name.
Figured it was Leisure Days. I had fun with them one day. They're here in Nova Scotia too. They proceeded to tell me how the buying process was and what I had to do to conform to their process. I told them, I use my own process for any purchase I make, especially one as big as a camper. A couple of years ago, I bought the same camper at Layzee Acres in Sebright, ON for $6,000 cheaper than Leisure Days. BTW, Layzee Acres is a great family run RV dealership. I don't think they carry any FR products though. They sell Crossroads products, which is going to be my next camper.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #48

I didn't realize that Leisure Days was that dishonest,I just thought they had extremely high prices.I'm glad the high prices drove me away before I got involved with them.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #49
cogito ergo moo

I absolutely LOVE to haggle with people. I'm just enough of a bastard to enjoy it. When I sold my pop-up the guy agreed to my asking price without so much as a peep. Well, he asked if the price was firm, I said (jokingly) "no... we can go up". He said "ok" and stuck his hand out. I was actually disappointed. I have spent hours getting $200 extra out of a deal. Hell, I even haggled with (and got a helluva deal) from a Saturn dealer once.

I have helped in negotiations for 2 friends buying motorcycles, and with my in-law for 3 cars now. I have walked out of more deals than you can shake a stick at.

Remember these 3 rules of dealing.

#1 is that the dealers have practically every advantage in the deal-making process. As the Edmunds article states, they use every psychological trick in the book to get you to fall for their crap. You only have one "bullet in the gun" to defend yourself

#2 is that your bullet is a thermonuclear bomb. That bullet is that you can get up and walk away if you ain't happy. When I left the local FR dealer after his spat, I would have bet every dollar I have that there would be a 'follow up' call. The salesman left a message on the machine at the house before we even got home.

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO GO NUCLEAR ON A SALESMAN. stand up, say "Good day, sir" and head for the door. You would be surprised how much a dealer will reduce his "final best drop-dead price" as you are reaching for your car keys.

And rule 3 NEVER EVER EVER accept their first 2 offers. Ever! I mean it! If they don't make a 3rd offer, then you are getting cheated.

Tim
Old 05-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #50

My last car purchase was from a dealer/salesman I knew and trusted - bought a used car sight unseen over the phone -and still got a good deal.

BUt the one before that we were shopping minivans (new) and all had very similar stickers ($27-29k range). We had financing arranged through our credit union but let them give us payments and a bottom line ("if you can beat our CU we'll use your financing"). We weren't even too brand specific - we hit up 2 chevy, 2 ford and 2 dodge dealers. All but one ford dealer were close on price - that ford dealer...wanted to talk payments only and not give a bottom line price and started out at $470/mo (when everyone else was 275-290). We laughed and he came back with $440. We got up to leave and the salesmanager came over and said 'well, $415 is the best...' and we just walked out the door.
I have no idea what game they were playing or how many cars they sold that way, but if 5 dealers gave us payment quotes 150-200 less I can't see how they ever sell a car.

Must be a lot of folks out there that don't shop around.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad