Old 05-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #61
Snowsail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMaple View Post
Thank you so much for your replies. This became such a great read for me.

I ended up calling dealer #1 and told him the deal the other guy was giving me. They told me they would crunch some numbers and call me back. They ended up giving me the trailer for much less than they had originally quoted me. With the paper trade, they saved me $2000. I didn't have the electric lift, but it was 5 minutes from home and their service was excellent. We didn't have to spend 13 hrs driving to get the cheaper one.

I would never have known that I could have asked for a better price if it wasn't for this tread.
I'v always negotiated hard when buying something. I also compared prices between 5 major sellers in the U.S. and RVW and RVD had the lowest, they are within a few hundred dollars of each other. So I went with RVW because they were $11500 below the 3 dealers in the province of Quebec. I negotiated locally, at the end of 2011. Then in Feb. ordered from RVW. I couldn't believe the difference so I went to the RV show in Montreal in march to see if my numbers were wrong. I showed them my list of options to compare the exact same things and they were still over by $11500. So our Rockwood 8280 diamond will come of line this Wednesday, and picking it up at the Champlain border on Saturday. And yes the shipping price and $200 inspection is included in the $11500 savings.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:24 AM   #62

I actually had a camper in mind at another dealer and was financed and ready to go get it the next day, but when I went to get a pigtail for my P3 at the local dealer to go pick it up (6 hours away) I took a look at their selection and found a camper with the power package, rear rack and a better layout and told the sales woman that I was going to pick up a trailer, had financing/cash in hand, and what the price of said trailer was. She worked up from what I had priced from the other dealer and we met in a middle ground and I ended up paying just $1400 more and got full power options, wireless remote, rear rack, TV and WDH w/sway hitch included. Also, I didnt have a 12 hour round trip ahead of me and got to sleep in the next morning, lol.

'12: 27
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
Having worked 15+ years at dealers (car, motorcycle, boat, etc) I can GUARANTEE you that if two units come in for warranty repair the guy that bought from the local dealer will get fixed first and your 'out of town' purchase will wait.

Why? Of course the dealer is gong to give preferential treatment to HIS customers!

Don't you remember - he told you that in the sales pitch that you thought was all BS, huh?

When parts get scarce HIS customers will get it while you wait for it on backorder. Sorry.

Is this important to you? Like insurance, not till you need it does it matter how good the service is.
I must be the LUCKY one.. We had camped in Florida for 3 months this last winter..Found 5 different things that needed repair..took the 5th wheel to General RV in Mt. Clemens ,MI.. ( not the place of purchase) ..but they are a Keystone dealer. All 5 concerns were taken care of .. I am happy to report..
Old 06-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #64
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
I must be the LUCKY one.. We had camped in Florida for 3 months this last winter..Found 5 different things that needed repair..took the 5th wheel to General RV in Mt. Clemens ,MI.. ( not the place of purchase) ..but they are a Keystone dealer. All 5 concerns were taken care of .. I am happy to report..
Been my experience that being a visitor to the area gets you a higher priority than a local guy with a camper bought from a non-local source.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #65

Hello all, I'm Mick and I enjoyed reading all your comments on buying from a dealer. We loved our little Motor Home and decided that we loved camping so we tried to trade up from 22 feet to about 25 feet. We tried five different dealers and none could find listed anywhere what the value of our Lexington GTS Model 210 year 2011 would go for and only wanted to offer 40,000. This is a Forest River product, very well made and not even listed anywhere. The only one found was a 2009 on a ford chassis and ours is on a chevy chassis. I'm at a lost, looked everywhere and nothing. Not even the dealer I bought it from, Campers Inn would help me with a trade, go figure. If anyone knows anything please let me know. Back to Dealers, I found one Out of state we like and for 23,000 less than anyone here would offer me and gave me 5,000 more on my trade. That's enough for now. I do enjoy the forums. Thank you and happy camping and Happy Father's Day to all Dads. Mick
Old 06-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #66
GM

Might not be in the NADA book yet. August is the next printing date I think.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #67

Thanks will keep that in mind.
Mick
Old 07-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #68

I bought 3 new travel trailers. RVW is pretty easy to work with and thousands less than other dealers. I bought my current camper off of Couch's RV nation in Cincy. Very good pricing. The ride from Pittsburgh to Cincy was worth the savings.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowsail View Post
I'v always negotiated hard when buying something. I also compared prices between 5 major sellers in the U.S. and RVW and RVD had the lowest, they are within a few hundred dollars of each other. So I went with RVW because they were $11500 below the 3 dealers in the province of Quebec. I negotiated locally, at the end of 2011. Then in Feb. ordered from RVW. I couldn't believe the difference so I went to the RV show in Montreal in march to see if my numbers were wrong. I showed them my list of options to compare the exact same things and they were still over by $11500. So our Rockwood 8280 diamond will come of line this Wednesday, and picking it up at the Champlain border on Saturday. And yes the shipping price and $200 inspection is included in the $11500 savings.
We saved over that by a few thousand on our 2012 Salem 27RKSS list in NB was $33899 Canadian on the road. Couchs RV was $15899 less 5% exchange on the dollar at purchase time, another 2% at the border.
$1000 US to deliver to where we were in the States at the time.

Other than the warranty hassles for a dozen things which went wrong to date and the fact that the slide out is rubing through the siding at the top... its water tight and rolling.
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #70

I found the biggest reason for price difference of one dealer to another was FREIGHT...shipping to Washington state seems more expensive than any other area...if I drove 8 hours to Boise, I would save quite a bit because freight is less expensive...same as in buying from California...and if I was willing to spend a few days on the road, I could go to Iowa and really "save" a few dollars....but my time is worth more to me.

I decided to make my purchase methodically and tested the advice given online for "how to negotiate the best price for an RV"....#1 word of advice was not to pay MSRP - offer 30-40% less....be prepared to walk away, be prepared to wait a day or two for them to come back and counter offer your low ball figure.

If you start out with a high offer, you can go lower...but if you start out low, you can always go higher. Those who think you are offending a salesman for offering 40% less are just not comfortable with the prospect of negotiating conflict....the salesman is a professional, he knows how to work that end of "guilt" and discomfort to his best advantage...

This is a product a person is buying, NOT a service. In my opinion, you can negotiate products, but "services" are not really something you want to negotiate if you dont want to anger or offend the provider & you truly believe you are at the best place for that type of service needed. Who in their right mind wants to negotiate a heart surgeon's fee, or a hairstylist, or a mechanic - (oh sure, let them make up for that reduced fee by using lesser quality parts, used parts, cut corners on other areas so you can save) - service is waaay different than product. A dealership can offer fantastic service, but you must first negotiate the product at the price you want to get that wonderful service that a dealership touts...and hope that the dealership is solvent and not going to go out anytime soon.

SO anyway, I did offer 40% less the MSRP...got a huge pregnant pause from salesman on different lots after a little sputtering on their end. I just smiled back and said well, present my offer to your financial manager, I will wait. I knew I was willing to pay no more than 30% of the MSRP. They came back with a 'no deal' response. I did this with several local dealers. I finally checked out of state and out of area. They were willing to accept 32% off their MSRP. I just didnt want to make the drive...in the end, a couple dealers called me back and basically they were all at the same price (in my price requirement) so then I selected the dealership who treated me the best, they were 2 hours away.

may sound weird, but it is easier to make the deal when you are prepared to walk away. Also look at buying in the Fall - (they dont want to floor these units during winter when no one looks at them) or early Spring.

Bottom line, to save in your purchase, you have to have done your homework & know what the average cost of what you want is & realize difference in regional prices could be driven by freight expenses...I think its not surprising that the last dealer contacted is usually the one who gets the sale, because they get the educated buyer who has discovered the bottom line & all the conflict dialogue has been handled at other dealerships. LOL

Happy hunting...heh heh...it really can be a fun experience if ya dont sweat it.

Tamara

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad