Old 08-01-2012, 06:44 AM   #71
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
Bottom line, to save in your purchase, you have to have done your homework & know what the average cost of what you want is & realize difference in regional prices could be driven by freight expenses.
Tamara
Perfect! You are right on.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
I found the biggest reason for price difference of one dealer to another was FREIGHT...

Tamara
I wonder what the freight cost for our 2012 Salem 27RKSS to ship it it NB, Canada from the factory that would make it 33,899 Canadian taxes in - on the road.

And our dollar was $1.05 to the American green back $1.00
$15,899 - 5% = 15,104.05 Canadian to pay dealer.
$1,000 hauler to Mass (We were on vacation) = 16104.05
$250 to bring back home = $16354.05
7% Canadian border tax on the trailer only (dollar at+2% = trailer was valued at $14801.97 Canadian). = $15838.10 Canadian
Registration in NB = 25 for the plate and 8% NB tax for registration on $15838.10 = $17,105.15 Canadian

33,899 - 17,105 = 16,794 on the trailer.
16794 + 1250 transport 18,044 = 250 RIV fee = $18,294 Canadian in my yard and using it.

33,899 less 18,294 = 15,605 Canadian difference.
Thats a lot of freight.

The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #73

My trailer would have cost me 29,000+ at my local dealer which is only 10 minutes away from me. I got it in USA for 17,000+ dollars when dollar was at parity. My trip there, two nights of camping one night of hotel, taxes all the expenses and I was very little over 20,000 when it was all said and done. It is not freight ... I do not know what it is but not freight.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #74
GM

For a dealer not to budge off of $34k when you can buy it for $17k...I can tell you something is not apples to apples. I'm not saying with the specs...but with the deal itself.
From my experience (seeing both sides) these are the things that foul a local deal. (I'm not saying always)

1. you have a trade. The internet guy won't take trades but you figure your trade into the local deal. No matter HOW much you think your trade is worth...it is worth wholesale book. period. They either give you a great deal on the unit and book on your trade or they give you retail on your trade and jack up the price of the new unit. They can go buy used units at auction for book or less than book all day long. What you owe does not dictate what your trade is worth. NADA does that.

2. Sometimes you give that offer to the sales guys, they don't take you serious and the sales manager never really sees the offer. Or they just don't think you're serious with a number that low. (The sales guys don't know costs)

3. You shop the local guy, take the tour, take the test drive, they hit you with a number AND THEN you show the price you already have from the internet guy. If they drop now, they have egg on their face.

4. sometimes especially in Canada it doesn't matter when you look at it...it matters when THE DEALER brought it across the border. I remember years back when the Canadian dollar was not good...it suddenly flipped and dealers were sitting on a ton of units they brought over when the Canadian dollar was worth 80 cents.

5. If its a HOT model...why would they give it away for very little profit. I've had several dealers call me and say "when do I have another XXXX coming in? I can take a skinny deal, but not if I have to wait a long time for another one.

6. sometimes that customer that grinds you and grinds you is the hardest to please. No offense but I have seen it first hand. The grinding never stops. So dealers will happily walk away from that and not feel obligated to make you happy...let the other guy try.

My suggestion is what handbuilder said. Do your homework know a range of fair prices. Don't expect the local guy to beat the internet price. They do have to pay the freight to get it there, they do have to pay for those units to be stored and cleaned, and open for you to have looked through it in the first place. Be honest and up front with the dealer, don't try and "catch them" hitting you with a high number.

Finally let me tell you this story about an internet deal gone bad. Dealer had a local store and an internet site (separate). Customer was local so they visit the brick and mortar store to see the unit. They happily paid $90k for a Class A. They were excited. They then go visit their family in another state. They go online to show their mom what they just bought. When they go to pull up the site, they enter their mom's zip code (not their own) which pulls up the internet site (not local store) and that EXACT same unit was $15,000 less. She immediately canceled the deal and went from perfectly happy with a motorhome to pissed without. They have sales guys they need to pay and stores to pay for so when you come in they will typically hit you with a high number. Internet customers? They don't care they'll never see you again, they are just trying to steal deals that they had no chance of getting due to their location.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
They have sales guys they need to pay and stores to pay for so when you come in they will typically hit you with a high number. Internet customers? They don't care they'll never see you again, they are just trying to steal deals that they had no chance of getting due to their location.
Nice to see you batting for the local dealers...my understanding from a Rockwood factory rep is that Forest River only sells to internet dealers that also have a 'stick and brick' locations and can support what they sell. Examples, RVW is a division of Durnell RV...RV Direct is a division of Albany One RV.

I've personally have purchased from both RVW and RVD. These guys are volume dealers, I believe RVW claimed to me sales around 100 units per week in high season. That's how they can offer the deals substantially lower than local dealers...overhead costs per unit very low on that volume.

I can't claim to understand pricing strategy with some local dealers. I looked at a Jayco 303RK in the fall of 2009 locally and was quoted $49900 CDN. The same unit was priced at a internet dealer in Michigan at $32800 US. That same local dealer had the 303RK on sale for $36900 CDN 8 months later in the summer 2010. It's not the exchange rate which was around 0.95 during that period.

Internet dealers like RVW, RVD and others live (or die) by their reputation and customer satisfaction on forums like this and RV.net. They're not 'fly by night' organizations as your comments may imply.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #76
GM

I'm not implying that they are fly by night. I know both of those dealers well. My point was they treat their "brick and mortar" store just like any other dealer, they have to pay sales guys, pay overhead etc. The internet side they treat differently. In most cases they will never see that customer again, as I was trying to show in my "true story". In most cases if you walk in off the street, you are not seeing prices that you would see on the internet side. I can't speak for all...but at least the ones I know and have sold to.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #77

I told the local JAYCO dealer in Fredericton after looking at every trailer thay had on the lot that I was buying a unit "this Week"

what was his best price today before closing on a 10 26RKSS Jayco they had listed on the lot for 30,899 Canadian

They stalled me 4 times on purchasing when I said cash taxes in - best price.
The final straw was "we don't make our money off cash deals, we make our money off the bank when you take it out for 20 years at 3 to 5 % interest."

"you can pay it off in a year or so if you want to - that way we get our full loan amount."

I came back a couple weeks later and hauled through their lot. The we got was priceless. I warned them I was buying that week - they just didn't want my money bad enough I guess. SAVE MONEY - SHOP Around
Old 03-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #78

Skin a dealer now he'll skin you later ae poor service, high parts cost, delayed service or none at all.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python15 View Post
Skin a dealer now he'll skin you later ae poor service, high parts cost, delayed service or none at all.
but in todays ecomomy when there is barely enough cash to feed everyone's business - those who get caught skinning on parts, poor service, delayed service or none at all generally dont last that long. other dealerships are oftn more than happy to assist if they know that treating someone elses customer will do the following
increase revenue, increase service calls from other owners who may have similar war stories, and
when a new trailer Brand A is sitting on a competitors lot being repaired it sometimes generates questions from potential buyers of Brand B as to whats it ther getting done and .... why did the owner not take it to Brand A dealers shop.
It doesnt look good for Brand A business when 1 or 2 or even 5 or 6 more prospect buyers looking at Brand B planned on going to Brand A but fail to do so because Brand B's service department says the owner of Brand A trailer has nothing +ve to say about the service.
In , Toronto or Atlanta you can get away with it but.... in a small town or city its deadly.

Tags
led pad