Old 04-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I delivered moterhomes for Horizon Transport for a few months in 2008. Saw over 12000 miles 2 countrys and to many states to list. Had a great time doing it just not such a great deal if you have young kids at home. I do plan to retire early and do this again.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #32

It apparently costs around $4,000 to get a trailer delivered from the plant to the west coast. I did some googling once and did not find that the TT prices were $4K less in or near Indiana. I think some would consider driving to a dealer near the plant if they could get a $4K discount. I have to wonder if it's possible to negotiate a deal with a dealer or broker on the west coast that includes you going to pick it up, but I'm sure there's a snag in that idea.

If you get $1.55 a mile, I wonder what the per mile operating cost (fuel, insurance, maintenance, etc.) of a 3/4 or 1 ton truck is these days? And then there's the depreciation cost of your truck. I would guess there isn't much to be made hauling TTs or 5-ers for the plants if you factor in all the costs.

Now, if the Chinese could just get an RV to the west coast for less than $4K.....

Old 04-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #33

I looked into hauling a few years ago, father inlaw did it for several years. Found out short bed trucks and not allowed and they want trucks with new diesels not 3 to 4 years olds , unless they know you and you demostrated reliability

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
I would guess there isn't much to be made hauling TTs or 5-ers for the plants if you factor in all the costs.
I would guess that your guess is about right.
It is just another job, done by the lowest bidder.
But it would beat working behind a desk any day, and some people simply love to drive.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #35

I live in New England looked into doing this last spring. IMHO there is little money to be made. By the time you add everything up IE: fuel, insurance, truck payments and or repairs, meals, hotels etc..the money was just not there. Add in the DOT hassles which can be a nightmare in it's own!
Biggest problem is no back haul, so with the pay being $1.55 per LOADED mile you would actually working for 77.5 cents a mile. There are some units getting oved from from dealer to dealer and back to the factory for whatever reason but the "new guy" hardly gets those. Another problem is where are they going to send the "new guy"? On the runs nobody else wants. They claim "no forced dispatch" but that is all well and good until you tell them no.
Best I see it is you end up with a worn out rig and some change in your pocket.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #36

The company in our area were paying $1.70 per mile if you were hauling to western Canada. If you figure the cost of towing to the west coast $4000 is not too much. When we tow our TT west it cost us $1500 one way for gas. If you had to drive from the west coast to the plant to save the $4000 delivery fee how much would you really save. Maybe $1000 how much is your time worth?
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
It apparently costs around $4,000 to get a trailer delivered from the plant to the west coast. I did some googling once and did not find that the TT prices were $4K less in or near Indiana. I think some would consider driving to a dealer near the plant if they could get a $4K discount. I have to wonder if it's possible to negotiate a deal with a dealer or broker on the west coast that includes you going to pick it up, but I'm sure there's a snag in that idea.

If you get $1.55 a mile, I wonder what the per mile operating cost (fuel, insurance, maintenance, etc.) of a 3/4 or 1 ton truck is these days? And then there's the depreciation cost of your truck. I would guess there isn't much to be made hauling TTs or 5-ers for the plants if you factor in all the costs.

Now, if the Chinese could just get an RV to the west coast for less than $4K.....
My 7.4 Chev costs me 47.5 cents per mile just for fuel as a start. Commercial insurance at $5,000,000 coverage is $100.00 per month, $150.00 per month for oil changes, $1200.00 a year for tires, then hotels and meals and licencing and it goes on.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #38

Here is one way to transport a hole bunch of trailers....

2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #39
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38FLCamper View Post
Here is one way to transport a hole bunch of trailers....
I haven't seen any come on my rails. Wish they would.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #40
Incheon, S. Korea

A little secret. uShip.com
You'll get a lot of private individuals bidding on your trailer.
It took $1,000 off of the shipping costs for me.

BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote