Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
How hard to you push your vechile while traveling?

I finally got my first TT and found out it loves wind! I may have to nickname it “My Sail”. Anyways I have 2005 GMC sierra 1500 which is 4 speed tranny. I found that running in 4th gear it falls on its face and no power in wind or with no wind. I found running in 3rd is best choice even though some hills it will slow way down. I run about 2600 to 3000 RPM in third. The kicker is I have to be above 55 miles a hour or my power range is horrible and maybe have to go down into second. My truck is 7000 GVWR and camper is 5500 dry.

Okay the question is here? First of all am I beating on my truck or just towing nice and heavy? Or is this normal with a 1500 truck.

Second is how do others drive in wind? Do you prefer to go easy on truck? Or its fine to push it hard. Any info to ease my mind that this is okay for my truck ?
scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
Not such a Junior anymore

I experienced the same issues when I had a boat and a 2005 Denali SUV. The engine was either screaming or bogged. This was with a boat of 4500lbs and this behavior was on hills, which I am surrounded by here in Tahoe.

No doubt that running the high rpm's will effect engine life in the long term, not to mention horrible MPG.

My solution was to get an SUV that had the 6 spd tranny, and it was like night and day.

Now with regard to my TT which I got last year, the "sail" alone is one mileage killer, and depending on the wind direction, another 2-3 mpg hit. The 6 spd in tow mode basically keeps the truck from going into 6th, with higher rev shift points. But so much better than the 4 spd's all or nothing approach.

This is a good excuse to trade in the truck for a newer one with either a 6 spd, or better yet, get a diesel. Help the economy out a bit!
Old 12-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borwick View Post
I experienced the same issues when I had a boat and a 2005 Denali SUV. The engine was either screaming or bogged. This was with a boat of 4500lbs and this behavior was on hills, which I am surrounded by here in Tahoe.

No doubt that running the high rpm's will effect engine life in the long term, not to mention horrible MPG.

My solution was to get an SUV that had the 6 spd tranny, and it was like night and day.

Now with regard to my TT which I got last year, the "sail" alone is one mileage killer, and depending on the wind direction, another 2-3 mpg hit. The 6 spd in tow mode basically keeps the truck from going into 6th, with higher rev shift points. But so much better than the 4 spd's all or nothing approach.

This is a good excuse to trade in the truck for a newer one with either a 6 spd, or better yet, get a diesel. Help the economy out a bit!
Thanks for response plus the wife wants a SUV. I thought about a 2500HD 6.0 gas truck but unsure. I guess I will see how camping season goes as I got some time.

Is this hard on tranny running in 3rd?
Old 12-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubieman View Post
Thanks for response plus the wife wants a SUV. I thought about a 2500HD 6.0 gas truck but unsure. I guess I will see how camping season goes as I got some time.

Is this hard on tranny running in 3rd?
Actually, it is probably better on your tranny to run in 3rd. Running in 4th gear (OD) with a load, and the transmission is going to be shifting trying to hunt for the correct gear. A lot of shifting is not good on a transmission. If my truck starts shifting a lot in OD, then I will lock out the OD.

What kinda hills are you pulling ?? Right off, I would think maybe you have a high ratio final drive, but you stated that the truck is 2600 to 3000 rpm in 3rd. I think my truck rpm is in that area going 65 mph with the OD locked out, and I have 3.73s.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #5

That question is best answered by an engineer or auto-tech. In 3rd, your engine is running higher rpm's, but the tranny may not really care.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #6

My next truck is a 1 ton GMC diesel, rated at 21,000 lbs towing. No worries then!
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Actually, it is probably better on your tranny to run in 3rd. Running in 4th gear (OD) with a load, and the transmission is going to be shifting trying to hunt for the correct gear. A lot of shifting is not good on a transmission. If my truck starts shifting a lot in OD, then I will lock out the OD.

What kinda hills are you pulling ?? Right off, I would think maybe you have a high ratio final drive, but you stated that the truck is 2600 to 3000 rpm in 3rd. I think my truck rpm is in that area going 65 mph with the OD locked out, and I have 3.73s.
As far as hills nothing major. I do go a little faster like 65-75 MPH just so Im in the right power range for 3rd gear. As far as the final gear I am unsure. All I know is a new truck or new gears is a lot of money. I think for now I would rather limp along. I just wanted to know if it's fine for maybe a couple years.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
As far as hills nothing major. I do go a little faster like 65-75 MPH just so Im in the right power range for 3rd gear. As far as the final gear I am unsure. All I know is a new truck or new gears is a lot of money. I think for now I would rather limp along. I just wanted to know if it's fine for maybe a couple years.
If your RPMs are in that range at 75 mph, then that might be an indication of a high final drive ratio. You can probably give the VIN to your local Chevy dealer, and he could tell you what that ratio is.

The faster you go, the more wind resistance you are going to have. I can't remember the exact formula, but it is something like when double your speed, the wind resistance is squared. My truck just lops along at 55 mph, and at 65 I can tell it is working harder, even though the rpms are higher up in the horse power curve. I can tell a big difference is mileage

Beware, ST tires are rated at 65 mph maximum speed.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #9

I am getting 7.5 miles to a gallon. A little disappointing but I bought the truck to use it. I do believe final drive is too darn tall. But changing it out will be thousands.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #10

I couldn't imagine a total melt down in a couple of years. Depending on how much you use the TT, the worst you will experience is frequent fill-ups and high-revving sound effects.

My wife wishes the breaks were closer together anyway, as she needs a pitt-stop twice as much as I do.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #11

Do you have the tow/haul transmission? We have a similar setup in our 04 1500 Chevy & primarily run in 3rd gear in the tow/haul mode & our RPM is about 2750 at 60 MPH. Struggle to get much over 9 miles per gallon fuel mileage.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borwick View Post
I couldn't imagine a total melt down in a couple of years. Depending on how much you use the TT, the worst you will experience is frequent fill-ups and high-revving sound effects.

My wife wishes the breaks were closer together anyway, as she needs a pitt-stop twice as much as I do.

That's kinda funny. Maybe not for her.

Well my dad is a farmer and over hauls his GVWR by a few thousand pounds but only goes like a hour drive. Now my truck temp was at the same as if I was empty with OVERDRIVE in place. With how much I would lose or spend for different truck,gears, anything. It's amost cheaper to just burn up a tranny.

Sooner or later I will upgrade to a diesel when Im rich enough
Old 12-09-2010, 10:42 PM   #13
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
I am getting 7.5 miles to a gallon. A little disappointing but I bought the truck to use it. I do believe final drive is too darn tall. But changing it out will be thousands.
If it is a 2WD gears will probably cost you maybe 200 or so and a few hundred to have them installed plus a few bux for the install kit. A HD 4wd like mine runs abt 1400 to do both sets.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
If it is a 2WD gears will probably cost you maybe 200 or so and a few hundred to have them installed plus a few bux for the install kit. A HD 4wd like mine runs abt 1400 to do both sets.

4x4 is only 1500. I know that's a lot but I would lose a lot more on different truck.

what kind of truck you got?
Old 12-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #15

"I run about 2600 to 3000 RPM in third. The kicker is I have to be above 55 miles a hour or my power range is horrible and maybe have to go down into second."

That sounds really strange, what size is the motor? You shouldn't have to run at those RPMs, and driving at 65-75 is ridiculous. Slow down, save gas and your motor.
And don't tow in overdrive, as you'll burn up your tranny. From the sounds of it, you don't have the power to tow in overdrive anyway.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:49 AM   #16

Pretty basic in my opinion..if you have to beat your truck up to pull the trailer you don't have enough truck.I found that out the hard way.We all struggle in the wind,remember you are trying to pull a big box through the air.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

scubieman, did you even check with the dealer on what gears you have ??? You might already have the lower ratio.

Also, what is your truck rated to tow?? You will probably need the engine, transmission, and cab/bed configuration to determine that.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #18
Site Team

sounds like you have the 4.6 v-8, not the 5.3 v-8. without knowing the engine size and rear end ratio, it's hard to figure out.
i agree that your speed is killing your mileage. 65-75mph!
where do you live, Montana?

i have an '07 Chevy Avalanche with the 5.3 v-8 and 3.73 rear end. i pull a similar size/weight HTT.
i average 10-12mpg pulling mine but i rarely go over 65. i usually keep it around 60-62.

and i live out west where we have real mountains!
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #19

I do have the 5.3 motor. I am unsure of gear ratio. Sadly I don't have the money to fix the gear ratio or get new truck if that will help. I mean I do tow it about 7 hours. The wind was bad unless I tailgated a semi. The hills weren't terrible bad they did slow me from about 74 down to 65 maybe 60 depending on hill.

I just ran 3rd all times to hopefully prevent tranny failure and truck did not get hot at all. I think it's just my gearing is horrible.

The truck says 7000 GVWR and trailer is about 5500 dry or 7200 max weight. I just bought it so it was closer to dry weight.

I could bring it to the local trucker scales but even if it says Im way over. I am unsure how to correct it without being expensive
Old 12-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #20

If you have the 5.3, I don't see why you can't pull it at a reasonable speed. There is no need to go 75 miles an hour. You may be just imagining that it is lugging, or maybe your exhaust is plugged?
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote