View Poll Results: Do you pay for Storage?
Keep at home 148 50.86%
Pay for Storage 143 49.14%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2014, 11:48 PM   #171

San Diego has a new ban on overnight street parking for RVs. This will force hundreds (at least) of people who have parked in front of their homes to pay for storage, move out of the city, or whatever. My answer is to boycott San Diego as a tourist destination (believe me it is overpriced and residents just want you to spend your money and get the hell out). I would also boycott RV dealers located in the city because they have not fought the ban. They are happy to take your money and could care less what happens next. Fortunately I have a Class C that fits on my driveway.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:54 PM   #172

Well good for San Diego. Who wants a $1 million neighborhood with a bunch of people living in RV's on the street in front of their houses. And $1 million in S.D. is not even a nice house by our standards.

My cousin lived in El Segundo, and a young widow and two teenagers lived out front in a Class C. About 6:00 a.m. every morning, they'd come in and take a shower. That's not out of the ordinary where rents and housing costs are more than out of sight.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:02 AM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Well good for San Diego. Who wants a $1 million neighborhood with a bunch of people living in RV's on the street in front of their houses. And $1 million in S.D. is not even a nice house by our standards.

My cousin lived in El Segundo, and a young widow and two teenagers lived out front in a Class C. About 6:00 a.m. every morning, they'd come in and take a shower. That's not out of the ordinary where rents and housing costs are more than out of sight.
What about parking your own RV in front of your own house? There is a valid concern about people who are NOT residents living in RV's in front of other peoples' homes. That is another issue.
I must live in the slum part of San Diego because I'd gladly sell my home to you for $1 million. I'd suggest you check realtor.com for current property values.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Before you diss HOAs too much... I live in such a neighborhood, and I'm glad I do. I had to sue a next-door neighbor once because he bought the lot between us... and installed a quail farm... We were in a restricted neighborhood, but had no HOA. The entire cost of the suit fell on us, even though we were actually protecting all the property values in the subdivision... and the SOB filed bankruptcy to keep from having to pay my attorney fees... and his own. It was a year of hell with late night hang-ups, problems with his kids, and every other hassle you can think of. Luckily they were forced to move because his bankruptcy caused his home to be foreclosed...

My HOA allows 48 hours for RVs for cleaning, and make-ready for trips... but not storage outside a building, that has to match the house. My TT is in covered, gated storage with paved drives and heavy gravel pads. Tax and all it's $71.52 per month. It's not enclosed but the sun/rain/snow/hail never hits it. It's about 15 minutes from the house. The only things they could do to make this a better facility would be to add a wash facility and a compressor. Finding a low tire on the TV is no problem as I have a big compressor at home. The drive is so steep, the TT won't make it down without dragging so I always have to borrow a small compressor or go by the friendly neighborhood Discount Tire before heading out... They added a dump station last month and a pass lane just outside the gate for better in/out traffic control. That's not a bad deal...
That's sad that you would even think of suing your neighbor, I don't care what he has done. HOA's IMHO are just a small chasm of what the USA is going to be in less than 10 years because people can't get along. Just sad.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #175
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Before you diss HOAs too much... I live in such a neighborhood, and I'm glad I do. I had to sue a next-door neighbor once because he bought the lot between us... and installed a quail farm... We were in a restricted neighborhood, but had no HOA. The entire cost of the suit fell on us, even though we were actually protecting all the property values in the subdivision... and the SOB filed bankruptcy to keep from having to pay my attorney fees... and his own. It was a year of hell with late night hang-ups, problems with his kids, and every other hassle you can think of. Luckily they were forced to move because his bankruptcy caused his home to be foreclosed....

Have a good friend going thru something almost identical right now. His neighborhood is comprised of homes on 2 acre lots, about 6 months ago the foreclosed house next to him sold and a family moved in, stay at home mom, dad is a pilot for AA, 3 boys I think. Problem is they have dirt bikes and ATV's... the kids ride all day everyday in the backyard, dad comes home he rides too. It is like living next door to a motocross track. Since the area is "unincorporated" city laws are not applicable and the county's noise abatement laws are a joke and unenforceable. The neighborhood has now formed a loose HOA with the explicit purpose of ensuring that decency prevails. Every time he has tried to talk to them about it he is basically told "we live in the country, we can do what we want"

Quail farm or motocross track, does not matter, if a neighbor is an ass
It will require getting a lawyer involved. What else you going to do, go punch them in the face?
Old 08-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #176

I keep mine at home. I like having my pup (baby) right where I can see it.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:04 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Have a good friend going thru something almost identical right now. His neighborhood is comprised of homes on 2 acre lots, about 6 months ago the foreclosed house next to him sold and a family moved in, stay at home mom, dad is a pilot for AA, 3 boys I think. Problem is they have dirt bikes and ATV's... the kids ride all day everyday in the backyard, dad comes home he rides too. It is like living next door to a motocross track. Since the area is "unincorporated" city laws are not applicable and the county's noise abatement laws are a joke and unenforceable. The neighborhood has now formed a loose HOA with the explicit purpose of ensuring that decency prevails. Every time he has tried to talk to them about it he is basically told "we live in the country, we can do what we want"

Quail farm or motocross track, does not matter, if a neighbor is an ass
It will require getting a lawyer involved. What else you going to do, go punch them in the face?

Sorry I don't see a problem with either. No HOA for us. We would never have one where we live "in the country" but we would move if we did. Our neighbors were a little noisy at time but they have moved on I expect they were delicious.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:21 AM   #178

Currently stored locally. Have a covered space @ $45.00 a month. Only minutes from home too. Business group that operates it are friendly and security minded as well. Got lucky & love it!
Old 08-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #179
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Sorry I don't see a problem with either. No HOA for us. We would never have one where we live "in the country" but we would move if we did. Our neighbors were a little noisy at time but they have moved on I expect they were delicious.

Yeah, HUGE difference between "a little noisy at times" and dirt bikes and atv's all day, every day.
Also, this is not some A-frame surrounded by dirt fields out in the boonies I am talking about, these homes are in the half Million and up price range with owners who are very protective when it comes to their home values and as they have a lot invested in their home they generally don't just "move on".

I do agree that an HOA could be a pain in the ass but it could also save your ass.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
That's sad that you would even think of suing your neighbor, I don't care what he has done. HOA's IMHO are just a small chasm of what the USA is going to be in less than 10 years because people can't get along. Just sad.
Sad that I would sue my neighbor... but not sad that he would immediately violate a covenant between himself and all his neighbors? Laws concerning property restrictions are nothing new. When someone buys a restricted lot, they enter into such a covenant with owners of other lots in that group. This person violated our trust to an extreme... so much so that our lawsuit was totally successful. Should I and my neighbors put up with the smell, bird crap and turkeys roosting on our cars, and the loss of our property values, etc? I think it's sad, indeed, that I had to go through this crap. I can assure you that if this jackass had moved in next to you that you would not have put up with it either. From your attitude, I have to assume you would have taken a loss on your property and just moved. I think your "sadness" is misplaced.

I could keep my TT at home, and probably get away with it for a while. I would not do that because I know, like, and respect my neighbors, and would not want to violate that trust.

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage