Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #61

I've been reading all the various threads about the subject of extended warranties and I've notice a frustrating pattern. Seems the folks who state they have an ext warranty (excluding those talking about having the 2nd yr FR), DON'T state the name of their warranty company unless someone specifically asks and they reply in a later post . So I'm having to go back and forth to track comments on the warranty and then figure out if the company name was stated later. I'm getting cross-eyed!

We bought our camper used, and the dealer provided a 90 day warranty thru Xtra Ride, and also offered either 4 or 5 yrs more for $1300. We turned down the $1300 offer because we wanted to stay under budget and DH is a DIY kinda guy. I think he said we have until the 90 days is up if we decide we want to add on the multi year warranty.

We've had the camper for 2 weeks now and we are already dealing with repairs. The grey tank has a crack at the neck and has a very slow drip, and the black tank has an even slower drip, but we can't see a crack so it may just be the fitting. We didn't see this on our pick up day as it was a miserable rainy day. Just noticed it from the damp spot on the driveway after our first overnight shakedown run.

DH called the warranty and they said it will be covered, but they didn't even have our paperwork from the dealer yet, so please wait a few days and call back so they'll have the policy info. They said we could take it to the dealer (2.5 hours away- nope) or use someplace closer to home - but not sure if the place down the road from us is authorized. The place near our house (who is a GS service provider also) said what they usually do with warranty work is let the customer handle the ins stuff and pay them directly for the work, so gotta look into it. He also said the Polyethylene tanks are usually Non-repairable because nothing sticks to the PE so a patch/repair won't hold, so the tank is usually replaced.
If everything goes smoothly with this repair under the 90 day, I'm more likely to jump on board with a longer extended plan depending on the price available.

Does anyone who has an Xtra Ride ( Asset Protection) know if you can buy from them direct or if they only sell through dealers?

And for those who have comments about their own policies/experiences - if you haven't already said it - could you please state who your policy is with to help me with my research? Thanks!
2013 Days Camped, since April: 33
DKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #62

I am just buying a tracer 230 FBS they want me to buy FCPP Fisrt Canadian Protection Plus for 2500 for six years service, as Forest River has only 1 year warrenty, I am trying to decide weather its worth it or not also?
Careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #63

We did buy the Xtra Ride when we bought our TT. Can't say if they sell direct since we bought from the Dealer. I can only speak to the one time that my DW called about an issue with the furnance during a camping trip. They were very helpful with troublshooting the issue over the phone, but also offered to send a mobile service out to the CG if we weren't comfortable fixing it over the phone. So far my experience has been positive.

My first
kho6658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #64

Thanks for the reply kh06658, I bought the FFCP, and the new Tracer, from a dealer today, he has told me that this is a good thing and he will positively stand behind this product. So this is making me feel better about the whole thing.

2014 Tracer 230 FBS
2008 Tundra 5.7 litre

Campbell River
British Columbia

Camped in the Lower U.S 2013 40 days in a 23 foot Vangaurd T.T.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #65

My extended service contract is with CornerStone United. I am still under the Forest River warranty. So I haven't had to use it yet, and I hope I don't have to0.
jwtmw57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #66

Now I wonder? If to qualify for extended warranty. If I have to take my trailer to a dealer every year to have it serviced?
The fine print is so complicated, for me, anyway.
I hope this does not become a Issue Also. Some of us don't really need this to worry about.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #67

We bough the extended warranty through our dealer, and just the 1 delamination episode on the side wall of 1 of the slideouts paid for the warranty cost. Might sound like a big chunk of change going in.....BUT.....Glad I had the coverage.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #68

O.K. then, the Extra warranty does pay, Good to hear some positive warranty stories.
Thanks for that.

Careless

Les and Carol actually.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #69

I was warned not to get it and to put the money away that I used for the warranty in a rainy day fund. Well, I have only had my camper for 2 days but I have faith that my service through my dealer (All Seasons RV, Muskegon) will come through and gives me piece of mind. Plus the Warranty is a subsidiary of my dealer, Portfolio Protection Services. Good luck, I may be ridiculed for getting it but I have piece of mind, which is all that matters!
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #70
MKM

We were on the fence on this issue as our 2013 Sunseeker Class C factory warranty runs out in September. After a few months of being parked, we took our RV out for a weekend boondocking trip to make sure all was well before our summer trips to Yosemite and Yellowstone. About an hour after we left, the chassis A/C went out, no cold air. Upon reaching the campsite, the toilet stopped pumping out water. Then one of the fan switches broke. Since nobody wanted to poop in the woods, we decided to head back home that evening after a long hike. The next day, I noticed two pieces of exterior trim coming off.

That was two weeks ago and all has been repaired now and we head out in two weeks. The whole experience also has made my decision easy as far as whether to get an extended warranty or not.
MKM is offline   Reply With Quote