Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #1

How many RVer's buy extended warranty

The 2nd year FR warranty got me to wondering about extended warranty contracts. (We will be getting in on the 2nd year extension for sure.) As for dealer offered extended warranties, how many of us buy them ? Is it possible to buy one for a new TT from a company other than the dealer? If yes, how would that work when having warranty work performed? Would you have to pay for repairs and get reimbursed? We will be closing on our new VLite this week and would like to have some options. Just don't know where to start. Thanks for any input!
medja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #2

We bought a seven year extended warranty that covers everything. We bought it from our dealer, but it's not through our dealer. We can go anywhere and either pay for it and get reimbursed or have them call the repair in to this company and they will give them a Mastercard number right there to pay for the repair. It also includes roadside and campsite help (get locked out of your trailer, they will send a locksmith, etc). It only cost us something like $1200, so we figured we could easily make that up over the course of 7 years. (That's 7 years in addition to the 1 year mfg warranty, so really 8 years)
caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #3

Get the FR 2nd year warranty. The extended warranties are a rip off. The dealers gets 50% of the fee and is not refundable if you sell the RV.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_C View Post
Get the FR 2nd year warranty. The extended warranties are a rip off. The dealers gets 50% of the fee and is not refundable if you sell the RV.
That's not true. Ours is fully transferable, I just verified in my contract. All that needs to happen is pay a $50 transfer fee and then submit all the new owner's information. Also, I don't care how much the dealer gets, I hope they get to keep 95% of it, still makes no difference to me. I don't care that's it's non-refundable, I wouldn't expect it to be. That's like buying your trailer, using it for a year and then returning it and expecting a refund. That example may be a bit extreme, but you're buying a product. Wether you use it or not is only up to you.

Mine's Easy Care (EasyCare Vehicle Service Contracts | Extended Warranty Coverage for Your Car, Truck, SUV, or RV) I haven't looked but I bet you could buy through them directly.
caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb View Post
That's not true. Ours is fully transferable, I just verified in my contract.

Mine's Easy Care (EasyCare Vehicle Service Contracts | Extended Warranty Coverage for Your Car, Truck, SUV, or RV) I haven't looked but I bet you could buy through them directly.
Transferable yes, what about refundable?

Glad you have a better warranty plan than we had. We sold our rv, the contract said it was fully refundable, less the time you have had it. We received a refund for 50%, less the time we used the rv. The dealer portion was not refundable which was 50%. Maybe we can try to be a little less rude when replying to responses. People answer with what they have learned from their own experiences and try to help those requesting help.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:23 AM   #6
Site Team

So far we have two views on either side of the extended warranty debate. Which one is correct? I have to say that both of them are. Extended warranties are a personal choice and often there are other factors involved in the decision. Some people think they are a waste of money while others find peace of mind with having coverage.

Recommend doing the math and see how the results would work for you. Reading & understanding the fine print is really important as knowing the pros & cons.

Good luck.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:19 AM   #7

7 years, bumper to bumper, transferable, $1800 (about the cost of a new fridge), a no-brainer to us (not expecting a refund and don't care how much the dealer gets !)

but I read a post of someone who's contemplating leaving the spare tire at home - to be able to carry an extra 100 lbs of "stuff" - different strokes.....Bill
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #8

I purchased the GS extended warranty. I did it for a number of reasons, mainly because I can not save the money to buy that $1800 ref. or any of the large dollar items. I use the money to go camping. It comes down to personal choice and your money managemt styles.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
7 years, bumper to bumper, transferable, $1800 (about the cost of a new fridge), a no-brainer to us (not expecting a refund and don't care how much the dealer gets !)

but I read a post of someone who's contemplating leaving the spare tire at home - to be able to carry an extra 100 lbs of "stuff" - different strokes.....Bill
I purchased a extended warranty from Cornerstone, It is for 7 years, how ever I also have the FR 2nd year. I found out that Cornerstone will not kick in until the 3rd year. So really it comes out to be a 5 year warranty. If you buy it at the time of purchase from the dealer it is cheaper then waiting until the FR is up. You might loss the 2 years( it starts the day you sign) but the math makes it cheaper. Mine is transferable $50.00, and also I can cancel at anytime they will prorate back to you or if you trade or sell your TT, you can also move it to your new unit. Think of the cost to replace a refer or ac. Mine also is bumper to bumper includes everything even the tires. It is peace of mine to me plus free towing and road service. Also any RV place can do the repair....
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:59 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

We bought a 5 year extended warranty (4 years really after the 1st year) and are about break-even at this point.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #11
Wanna Be Camper

We bought the $1800.00 7 year extended for for the second time. The one we have does not transfer, however if you do not use your warranty you get it all back except abt $200.00 which is what we did with the old unit and bought a new contract for the V-Lite. I would do it again in a heartbeat as like I said, with ours we get all the money back except a small amout if we do not use the warranty and that is priceless IMO.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
We bought the $1800.00 7 year extended for for the second time. The one we have does not transfer, however if you do not use your warranty you get it all back except abt $200.00 which is what we did with the old unit and bought a new contract for the V-Lite. I would do it again in a heartbeat as like I said, with ours we get all the money back except a small amout if we do not use the warranty and that is priceless IMO.
sasks....What company is your extended warranty thru? I have a second FR year warranty that will run out Oct. 13 th. I have been looking at "Good Sam". I don't think GS gives you a thing back at the end, from what I read on the contract.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_C View Post
Agree totally. 2nd year FR only, IMO.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #14
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
sasks....What company is your extended warranty thru? I have a second FR year warranty that will run out Oct. 13 th. I have been looking at "Good Sam". I don't think GS gives you a thing back at the end, from what I read on the contract.
I'll dig out my contract when I get home later today and post the company name for you.

John & Deb
Old 10-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #15

If you read reports, reviews and statistics on extended warranties, the conclusion is that they are not cost effective for most people. However, if you are in the minority and have to use the warranty, then it is a wise investment. Opinions really mean nothing. You have to flip a coin and go with the result.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #16

We got FR's 2nd year warranty.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #17

I'm in the "rip off" camp. If you listen to Clark Howard, he dislikes any type of extended warranties. My DH is really handy and can fix everything and anything under the sun, so we went with the 2nd year FR warranty only.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #18
Wanna Be Camper

So just so I am clear here, people are willing to pay $150.00 or more depending on the rig for an extra year of warranty that is non refundable which if you could get it for 7 years would be $1050 or more non refundable but yet it is a rip off if they pay 1800.00 and only get 1/2 back at the end of the term if they don't use the policy???

John & Deb
Old 10-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #19

We purchased our '07 Lexington from a private party and the extended warranty was transferable for $40...and we used it for the first time last month. Our water heater went out and had a mobile Rv guy fix it...he was kind enough to make the call to the insurance company. Five days after we returned from our trip, we had the check.
We purchased a extended warranty on our '08 Chev Surburban...paid for itself when the A/C unit went out...after the Chevy warranty was done!
Bought an Extended warranty on a large TV for the house...went out 18 months after we purchased it...replaced! Ditto for a GE Profile Refrigerator...replaced after two years.
Extended warranties are the only way to go in our family, but with the RV dealers, you can barter with them on the price....as they do make $ on them. BUT, I will caution you to read the warranties first to find out exactly what they cover...some are not so good! Don't take the dealers word for it....read the contract.
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #20

Thanks everybody for the input. Can any of you give me the name of the companies the warranties are through? Not sure we want to do it just yet as we have been quoted 1500 for four years. That sounds too high to me. Sounds like some are getting 7 years or so for about the same money.
medja is offline   Reply With Quote