Old 10-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #1

How many RVer's buy extended warranty

The 2nd year FR warranty got me to wondering about extended warranty contracts. (We will be getting in on the 2nd year extension for sure.) As for dealer offered extended warranties, how many of us buy them ? Is it possible to buy one for a new TT from a company other than the dealer? If yes, how would that work when having warranty work performed? Would you have to pay for repairs and get reimbursed? We will be closing on our new VLite this week and would like to have some options. Just don't know where to start. Thanks for any input!

Old 10-01-2012, 12:07 AM   #2

We bought a seven year extended warranty that covers everything. We bought it from our dealer, but it's not through our dealer. We can go anywhere and either pay for it and get reimbursed or have them call the repair in to this company and they will give them a Mastercard number right there to pay for the repair. It also includes roadside and campsite help (get locked out of your trailer, they will send a locksmith, etc). It only cost us something like $1200, so we figured we could easily make that up over the course of 7 years. (That's 7 years in addition to the 1 year mfg warranty, so really 8 years)

Old 10-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #3

Get the FR 2nd year warranty. The extended warranties are a rip off. The dealers gets 50% of the fee and is not refundable if you sell the RV.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_C View Post
Get the FR 2nd year warranty. The extended warranties are a rip off. The dealers gets 50% of the fee and is not refundable if you sell the RV.
That's not true. Ours is fully transferable, I just verified in my contract. All that needs to happen is pay a $50 transfer fee and then submit all the new owner's information. Also, I don't care how much the dealer gets, I hope they get to keep 95% of it, still makes no difference to me. I don't care that's it's non-refundable, I wouldn't expect it to be. That's like buying your trailer, using it for a year and then returning it and expecting a refund. That example may be a bit extreme, but you're buying a product. Wether you use it or not is only up to you.

Mine's Easy Care (EasyCare Vehicle Service Contracts | Extended Warranty Coverage for Your Car, Truck, SUV, or RV) I haven't looked but I bet you could buy through them directly.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb View Post
That's not true. Ours is fully transferable, I just verified in my contract.

Mine's Easy Care (EasyCare Vehicle Service Contracts | Extended Warranty Coverage for Your Car, Truck, SUV, or RV) I haven't looked but I bet you could buy through them directly.
Transferable yes, what about refundable?

Glad you have a better warranty plan than we had. We sold our rv, the contract said it was fully refundable, less the time you have had it. We received a refund for 50%, less the time we used the rv. The dealer portion was not refundable which was 50%. Maybe we can try to be a little less rude when replying to responses. People answer with what they have learned from their own experiences and try to help those requesting help.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:23 AM   #6
Site Team

So far we have two views on either side of the extended warranty debate. Which one is correct? I have to say that both of them are. Extended warranties are a personal choice and often there are other factors involved in the decision. Some people think they are a waste of money while others find peace of mind with having coverage.

Recommend doing the math and see how the results would work for you. Reading & understanding the fine print is really important as knowing the pros & cons.

Good luck.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:19 AM   #7

7 years, bumper to bumper, transferable, $1800 (about the cost of a new fridge), a no-brainer to us (not expecting a refund and don't care how much the dealer gets !)

but I read a post of someone who's contemplating leaving the spare tire at home - to be able to carry an extra 100 lbs of "stuff" - different strokes.....Bill
Old 10-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #8

I purchased the GS extended warranty. I did it for a number of reasons, mainly because I can not save the money to buy that $1800 ref. or any of the large dollar items. I use the money to go camping. It comes down to personal choice and your money managemt styles.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
7 years, bumper to bumper, transferable, $1800 (about the cost of a new fridge), a no-brainer to us (not expecting a refund and don't care how much the dealer gets !)

but I read a post of someone who's contemplating leaving the spare tire at home - to be able to carry an extra 100 lbs of "stuff" - different strokes.....Bill
I purchased a extended warranty from Cornerstone, It is for 7 years, how ever I also have the FR 2nd year. I found out that Cornerstone will not kick in until the 3rd year. So really it comes out to be a 5 year warranty. If you buy it at the time of purchase from the dealer it is cheaper then waiting until the FR is up. You might loss the 2 years( it starts the day you sign) but the math makes it cheaper. Mine is transferable $50.00, and also I can cancel at anytime they will prorate back to you or if you trade or sell your TT, you can also move it to your new unit. Think of the cost to replace a refer or ac. Mine also is bumper to bumper includes everything even the tires. It is peace of mine to me plus free towing and road service. Also any RV place can do the repair....
Old 10-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
Site Team

We bought a 5 year extended warranty (4 years really after the 1st year) and are about break-even at this point.

1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote