Old 03-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #11

Last year I saved about $10 k ($17 vs $27), my travel costs were actually less than the delivery charge.
If you are willing/capable of doing many of the minor or maderate repair or maintenance items yourself, having a good relationship with the local dealer is less important. I would prefer dealing local, but not at that price differential.

There is some risk in buying from distant "wholesalers", it just comes down to what your risk tolerance is and what the savings are. I personally would pay up to +10% to stay local.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #12
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybp57 View Post
That can be a double-edged sword. If I bought long distance, and my local guy was gracious about it and gave me good service, I would be making my next purchase locally. If he is the type of guy to be an ass about it, then I probably made the right decision the first time.

I completely agree.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #13

I was very lucky, I got my 2012 V-Cross 275 from a dealer less then 8 miles from my ranch in SE Texas. I was going to get it from a wholesale dealer in OH but someone had ordered one with the 50 AMP and a second AC in the bedroom and the sale fell through. So I got it for the same as I could get it from OH. Good Luck
Old 03-15-2014, 01:22 AM   #14

Thanks for all the replies everyone, it's actually been helpful.

I'm happy to report the local dealer I worked with over the last two days came in about $5K over the price of the long distance dealer. And, will be able to get me a little bit lower of a finance rate, so it should work out pretty well. It's been great actually, since I already had legit quotes and was pre-approved to finance a portion of the rig, they knew I was serious and didn't jerk me around. They asked what I was looking to pay, and they matched it. Tomorrow morning we're off to see the rig and hopefully seal the deal.

More to come.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #15

Congrats and glad it worked out for you, good luck and enjoy
Old 03-15-2014, 08:22 AM   #16

I may have over paid for my unit but the dealer is 45 min away and has done a very good job of taking care of us.

They are new in the area and working hard to fit in so I would rather give them my money than one who does not support the local economy.

I would rather not have to travel several hours just to get some work done.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:15 AM   #17

My local dealer beat the best online price by $4000. I suggest giving them a chance to compete before traveling far away.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #18

We looked at every local dealers lot where we lived, price wise, they were all priced too high and they didn't have what we wanted in a travel trailer that was light enough for us to tow. We ended up traveling 150 miles to find one, mind you we spent 1.5 years looking for a trailer that met our needs.

The local dealers do have smaller trailers, pop ups, single axles etc, but for the same price as the one we bought. It just made sense to buy the bigger one 150 miles away, which has everything we wanted on our wish list and it was a bunkhouse model, my son absolutely loves it.
Days camped in 2015, 0 Days so far (0)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #19
Moderators' Assistant

we would've paid $1000 extra for a local dealer.
but out of three dealers within a 100 mile radius, the lowest dealer was still $5000 over the Midwest dealer we bought from.
and all 3 refused to budge, even after i showed them the invoice price from that dealer.
they said that if i wanted that price, i should drive there to get it.

SO I DID!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stone View Post
We looked at every local dealers lot where we lived, price wise, they were all priced too high and they didn't have what we wanted in a travel trailer that was light enough for us to tow. We ended up traveling 150 miles to find one, mind you we spent 1.5 years looking for a trailer that met our needs.

The local dealers do have smaller trailers, pop ups, single axles etc, but for the same price as the one we bought. It just made sense to buy the bigger one 150 miles away, which has everything we wanted on our wish list and it was a bunkhouse model, my son absolutely loves it.
I forgot to mentioned, we got ours for $4000 less for one of similar size locally, plus we got to camp one night out there after purchasing it.

Days camped in 2015, 0 Days so far (0)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote