Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by amblt View Post
I'm of the opinion that the tax should be based on the location where the transaction actually takes place. We have an extra wrinkle here in Canada with a system called Harmonized Sales Tax (HST). This combines the Provincial Sales Tax with the Federal Goods and Services Tax (GST) (presently 5%). The provinces which joined this system shut down their own sales tax bureaucracies and have some kind of arrangement to share the taxes collected and remitted by the merchants to a central authority. Sounds good, right?

Well, the provincial sales tax rates vary, and one calculates the two taxes as compound, the others simply add the rates. Here's the other kicker- not all provinces joined the HST system and they maintain their original tax administrations. One joined and then left after a couple of years. One does not have and has never had, a provincial sales tax.

My wife worked in a company that sold goods in all provinces, and charged only the GST in a non HST province, and HST in a province in the system.

I worked in a company that sold service only (aircraft airworthiness inspection and certification). Services are taxable, but the queston arose- "Where is the transaction taking place?" The company HQ is in Ontario, as is the bank where the money goes. The inspectors resided in the locations where the inspections were done. We decided to use the applicable rate in the customers' areas.

I find that when I do shop on line, I am charged HST at the Ontario rate (where I live), which is one of the lower ones, so I guess the transaction is taking place here, so I'm happy.

Cheers

It gets even weirder.
When I mail a letter (Canada Post) from AB to AB, SK, MB, BC or vice versa I pay 5% GST on the postage. When mailing the same letter from AB to ON I pay the Ontario HST unless I buy the same stamp at the post office and I attach it to the letter instead of letting the CP employee doing it for me.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:45 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I wish I could say the same, but they've been collecting it in Texas for some time. That is because they have facilities in Texas. But now they are collecting it in all states regardless if they have facilities there.

PS: I grew up not far from you, over in Searcy.
Cool. Everyone is "from" Arkansas! LOL

The thing that sort of torques me is that Amazon collects it, but Arkansas didn't pass a law requiring it, thus I betcha a strawberry milkshake that Amazon never sends it in to Arkansas...............

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 08-21-2017, 05:52 PM   #103

think I will buy some CW stock. buy low sell high...American way

Ken and Denise new SOB Imagine2019 2850mk 2017 Ram 2500 ctd.
previous 2015 shamrock23s,2015 Ram Eco diesel
previous 1997 coleman highlander pup,1994 35rb Vectra,diesel,2007 Fleetwood arcadia pup.2005 ram
Old 08-21-2017, 06:04 PM   #104

Lived on Stack Rd for a couple of years
Old 08-23-2017, 10:45 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyairport View Post
think I will buy some CW stock. buy low sell high...American way
Give it a week and wait for a CEO replacement..... Could be a great investment.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
They never charged sales tax to me until a few months ago. On anything.
x2 BTW(by the way) it is 10.00% in my town. They charge tax at the grocery store here in Arkansas...less than city sales tax, but a sales tax none the less.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 08-23-2017, 11:28 AM   #107

I bought a CW membership. Two months later they closed that location. Closest location to me now is 150 miles away. I could buy online but by time you add shipping the membership savings is gone. I asked if I could get a refund or suspend my membership until a new CW came to town. I was refused. Haven't spent a dime at CW since. We just recently did get a new CW in town but they haven't seen my face in there.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:30 AM   #108

When making purchases, I look out for myself. Simple as that. While these stores like CW (and I shop at camping world sometimes) are always putting themselves first and the customer almost seems like a nuisance to them, lol, so I return that same behavior. Many of these entities give off that "you need us more than we need you" attitude, so I have no problem letting them know that I actually don't need them at all, there is always somewhere else to shop. I look strictly at price versus convenience/need. And make a decision from there. I don't completely avoid certain stores (why force myself to pay more on principal?), though I do lean more toward some versus others. But I do whats best for me, just like the store does whats best for them. That's 2017 America.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
When making purchases, I look out for myself. Simple as that. While these stores like CW (and I shop at camping world sometimes) are always putting themselves first and the customer almost seems like a nuisance to them, lol, so I return that same behavior. Many of these entities give off that "you need us more than we need you" attitude, so I have no problem letting them know that I actually don't need them at all, there is always somewhere else to shop. I look strictly at price versus convenience/need. And make a decision from there. I don't completely avoid certain stores (why force myself to pay more on principal?), though I do lean more toward some versus others. But I do whats best for me, just like the store does whats best for them. That's 2017 America.
I agree 100%. If a store gives me good service and price, I give them my business. I worked too hard for my $$.
If you don't like what someone said today, just wait and somebody else will piss you off tomorrow. That's also 2017 America.....unfortunately.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #110

Sometimes you have to take a stand even it costs you money in the long run. But in the end you do what's best for you.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Sometimes you have to take a stand even it costs you money in the long run. But in the end you do what's best for you.

That's BS.... A company is not the CEO or even the owner. It's all the people that make up the company. And when a company leader, decides to make a stand with the company involved, they are very selfish and/or just stupid. What they do on their own.... that's up to them, but don't involve the company. Employees can really be hurt by this sort of behavior out of leadership.

For instance, I have heard that a lot of deals and orders for the purchase of campers have been cancelled. Ie...Sales Reps are taking it on the chin. I have also heard that a ton of members have requested refunds on their memberships and even more will not renew, and many have vowed to never walk back in a store or buy anything online. Lost revenue will result in layoffs.

So I am all for a person being passionate about their beliefs, as long as they don't hurt others in the process.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:29 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
That's BS.... A company is not the CEO or even the owner. It's all the people that make up the company. And when a company leader, decides to make a stand with the company involved, they are very selfish and/or just stupid. What they do on their own.... that's up to them, but don't involve the company. Employees can really be hurt by this sort of behavior out of leadership.

For instance, I have heard that a lot of deals and orders for the purchase of campers have been cancelled. Ie...Sales Reps are taking it on the chin. I have also heard that a ton of members have requested refunds on their memberships and even more will not renew, and many have vowed to never walk back in a store or buy anything online. Lost revenue will result in layoffs.

So I am all for a person being passionate about their beliefs, as long as they don't hurt others in the process.

It is the only way to get the attention of the Directors and they are the ones the CEO works for. When revenue and profits drop shareholders let the Directors know something needs done and having a CEO that cannot control his mouth is not something they want. CW is big enough this will be less than a blip and Marcus will remain even if many customers do not.
Closed Thread