Old 11-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #31
Head Rambler

Quiet time is normally from 10pm to 6am or somewhere in that range.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #32

aaaaah starting right about when i wake up and going until i go to bed hahaha that's just great!!

Old 11-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cost???? Before this goes a lot farther, and someone gets their hopes up, have you really looked at the cost of this? If you can't replace a television right now, then money must be tight, like it is for a lot of people. Lets' play with a few numbers.... $50,000 for a camper over 8 years is going to be, with a bad credit rating as posted earlier, around $900 month, with little down payment. A space to park is going to be $400 month, or more. Underpinning, freeze protection, etc. about $400 each time you move, (once it is cut to fit, may not be reusable). Truck to move, $500 or more. Groceries and stuff the same. Internet may cost, or not. Taxes, insurance, other, $200 month, I know may be high but better to be high than low. All this equals $1500 month or $18,000 year. Now move twice and you have $20,000 year involved. You have mentioned when hubby's settlement come in. If you are waiting a few months for it, then it is not settled, and you don't know what that is, but if it is $150,000, and the lawyers get one third, that leaves you with $100,000. That's a great deal of money, but could be gone in as little as 5 years, and you are left with a trailer worth $10,000 or less, and no where to park it. If this is truly what you want, then go for it. Just look not only at the physical layout of the trailer, the lifestyle itself, but the financial burden. May numbers may be off since I don't live where you do, so you will have to make corrections and see if the numbers work for you. Trying to to rain on your parade, just make sure you have all the info you need.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #34

yes things are tight, hubby has been off work without pay for 6 months, and yes, we are waiting for a settlement if it's 50 grand, we buy the trailer cash, if it's a hundred grand we buy a plot of land with an RV on it cash... either way will save us about 800 per month and free us up alot... we are not young, we have lived and had bills for many years... hubby is looking to retire in six years... i realize that everytime we have to move we will be paying $100/hr for a truck, replacing tires, that's news about the skirting, but yeah, thanks, we live expensively NOW, so things can only get better with my problem solving skills and the help of y'all
Old 11-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #35

I have been trying to follow this thread from page 1, but the longer the thread gets - the more confused I get. To summarize:
- Elaine/hubby are in mobile home located in a mobile home (tin town) type of park. She hates it because she feels trapped.
- So, she wants to change to an "Fulltime RV " type of lifestyle, which will give them the freedom to re-locate whenever the mood strikes.
- but, she is looking at very large trailers that are almost, if not really are, "Park Model trailers", because she doesn't want to feel cramped like in a boat. Problem is, these units, while mobile, are not easily moved and many regular type RV parks/resorts are more suited to regular, transient RV'ers. The ones that cater to long-term (read permanent or semi-permanent) residents will quite likely put her right back into the same situation that she is in now.
- therefor, she is now considering, if finances allow, purchasing property and locating the large RV or semi-mobile park model on it as a residence. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but there goes the "freedom" to move whenever you feel like it, motivation.

It's only my opinion of course, but I think that it will be extremely difficult for her to realize these conflicting goals. Perhaps I have missed something along the way.

...VTX-AL
Old 11-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #36

hahaha, no you haven't missed anything, and there's plenty of parks around here that cater to full time living and offer freedom... but as far as the option to buy a piece of land, it's in a campground and wouldn't steal our freedom, if we ever wanted to explore another town for the summer, we will... but we're not big travellers... and as far as the option to buy another mobile home, only OWNING the land, yes all the freedom goes out the window, but hubby still wants this option left open, as he hasn't decided on fulltime RVing yet... but that option is only open to us if we get a rather large settlement... so you're right, things are confusing right now
Old 11-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #37

Elaine, at least you are taking the time to check into things, but it kind of sounds like you have this wonderful vision of the freedom that goes with RV'ing and your trying to tie that into a semi-staionary home plan. I don't think reality will live up to your vision.

I don't know your personal situation, and it's none of my business, maybe what your planning will be a less expensive lifestyle than what you are living now, but I bet it won't be as much of a difference as you think. I know your working out the monthly cost, but as I tell my kids, an RV is 10 times more likely and 10 times easier to "break" and it's 10 times more costly to fix than a regular house.

As far as the quiet hours, it depends on where you're at. At some places if you get enough complaints, 3 or 4 maybe, you'll be asked to leave, now, and no refunds.

If I were to receive $50k, I think I would be better off using most of that as a down payment on some land and either a modest stick house or mobile home.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #38

thanks for the advice we are discussing a change of plans right now, ie. not getting the grand lodge but getting a park model on the campground spot.. i AM totally listening to y'all's advice!!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

To add to what VTX AL said in post 35, and the last post, to even consider a park model in on a permanent site, isn't that what you have, only what you have is bigger? Why would you spend money, get rid of stuff, to get a smaller house, that you can't move? Funny sometimes how we hate what we have, but when we start dreaming, we come back to what we already have. If you are truly feeling cramped due to the smallness of a mobile home, you can forget a camper of any type. If you feel cramped because you have close neighbors and no yard, you can forget an RV Park. Maybe we need to start to a new thread, and tell us why you feel cramped up and want to get out. Do you want to travel? Do you want a yard to mow and plant flowers in? Do you want privacy? Let's try to get to the root of the problem where you are, then maybe we can look at what options are available. The real question is, why am I not COMFORTABLE here, and what do I need to more COMFORTABLE? Happy is not in the question. Satisfied is not in the question. Comfortable is the question. You have to supply the answer. I don't mean to offend, and forgive me if I have. Just hate to see someone jump out of the pot in the fire.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #40

well no, we don't feel cramped in here, it's not that... we feel TRAPPED because we can't sell coz the pad rent keeps going up by $60 a year or something like that and the pad rent is like $800 so nobody will buy in this park, the idea of moving into another mobile is not bad to us, we just want it to be on our OWN LAND, that's the difference.. we like living in a mobile and it's a choice between a $225,000 mobile on it's own land or a much cheaper campground spot for us to live in the RV that's already on the spot and then buy a 500 sq ft park model later on after we have spent a year having fun going out for dinner and getting our credit rating back hahahahahaha..... the campground spot we are looking at is NOT cramped at all, not like RV parks... we would be perfectly happy living in a mobile home, we were when the pad rent was affordable and it was possible to sell in here and make a bit of a profit... i'm not sure what your question is about after all this writing hahaha....

Tags
general advice, grand lodge, newbie