Old 10-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #1

Red face I know nothing, please advise :)

Hello we live in a trailer park in a very non mobile manufactured home, and we are so trapped, i told hubby the other day that they made RVs big enuff that we would be able to live in and never be trapped again... he didn't believe me and since i'm fat he made a crack about me not being able to fit down the tiny hallways... so i went down to an RV dealership to see and was shown the Grand Lodge, not the one with the loft, and i fell in love with it, i asked the sales guy how much and he said 50 grand, and i knew he was lying but i really don't know how much they go for in Canada... also are there any things i should take into consideration for fulltime living in one of these? since i know nothing about the RV life, i asked for maximum sq footage and 2 lazyboys for us to sit at our computers, and laundry capability, and the Grand lodge has all of this, and it didn't have a tiny hallway lol... i do worry about lack of storage as it's all windows on one side, and i don't even know what it's made of, seems to be pretty heavy, but we would just rent a big truck when we wanted to move someplace else... what are the most important things i should know about buying and living in an RV full time, and is there anything wrong with the Grand Lodge for this purpose? i'm sorry for the horribly general question, but i really don't know where to start, thanks for any general, or specific, advice you can give me

cheers,
Elaine

Old 10-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
Head Rambler

Being size endowed does not exclude you from the RV life. Trust me I know. We owned a 21' TT and had plenty of room. I've never seen an asile in an RV that was so small as to be a problem.

There are two things you must be comfortable with. Go back to the dealer and 1) Get in and out of the shower a few times. 2) Make sure the toilet is comfortable for you. If either of those things are a problem for you, you'll never be happy in the RV no matter what size it is.

Another thing to do is to go over all your belongings and the RV and make sure you can live with the storage space allowed. You'll have to get rid of anything that not absolutely essential.

Another thing you need to consider is where you're going to stay and how much it's going to cost to stay there. You can call around and find out some ballpark prices for lots.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not in Canada, but I know it gets cold there. Heated tanks, heated water inlet, and whatever to keep things from freezing. As posted above, check the shower and toilet. Price a spot to park it, here in North Carolina, anywhere from $300 to $500 month, and that may or may not include water & electric.As for moving when you want a change of scenery, it will take a full day to get that thing moved and set back up. And not just any rental place is going to have a truck you can tow it with, and some even have in their agreements not to be used for towing. Do some more homework. Search the internet for full time groups. As for price, search some dealers on the internet. Search here as others have bought in the USA and imported their camper to Canada. Good Luck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
As for moving when you want a change of scenery, it will take a full day to get that thing moved and set back up. And not just any rental place is going to have a truck you can tow it with, and some even have in their agreements not to be used for towing.
Most RV's are delivered to the dealer by independent contractors who do nothing but move RV's with vehicles they personally own. The trick is to find such a person and schedule your move with them.

I would imagine any decent RV dealer would share contact information for their delivery people as a professional courtesy to their drivers. Also, you might post a "want ad" on forums like this one or rv.net to find a regular Joe RV'er with a big truck who will tow you to make some cash on the side.
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #5

thank you bama rambler, it never occured to me to get in the shower and try the toilet, i laughed at the size of 'tub' but still didn't get in to test the shower, that was stupid of me... the toilet LOOKED regular size but i can see it might be too round or something tho i'm not sure i could tell that without getting my butt on there, and i'm not sure how the salesman would feel about that haha...

well at least ONE of the RVs he showed me i had trouble getting down the hall, i was rubbing both sides of it, and i wouldn't want that on a regular basis as it would make me feel claustrophobic... but this one had a walk thru bathroom with regular sized pocket doors on it...

windrider, thanks for the heads up on trucks, i didn't know it would be a problem to get it towed, and yes it gets a bit cold here in vancouver but the weather is kinda like seattle, mostly rain, but sometimes it does get cold enuff to freeze and snow, we lived on a boat before and our lines did freeze a couple of times...

also i have been phoning around for prices on places and it's 500 - 600 dollars a month, quite expensive, but my husband and i decided it's worth it to pay for freedom, we never want to be trapped like this again...

Radio, i used to know a guy named Radio haha never did find out his real name... thanks for the idea to ask the dealership for a tower, and posting on forums is a great idea too...

thanks for all your great ideas, i don't think there will be enuff storage space in that RV for our essentials and we will probably have a storage locker, it is tempting to get rid of everything, but there's so much that means so much to us...

cheers
Elainexoxoxox
Old 10-26-2010, 11:52 PM   #6
The Old Man

You might want to consider a "Park Model". These are more for actually living in as opposed to recreational use, They are generally designed for staying put longer such as in seasonal sites but still are easily moved, especially if that's something you'd want contracted anyway. Check out FR park models at the links below:

Quailridge Park Models by Forest River

http://www.forestriverinc.com/downlo...idgecanada.pdf

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:16 AM   #7

those park models do look nice, but i'm already feeling trapped just looking at how permanently they are stuck to the ground lol, and do those go in RV parks, or do you have to put them in a mobile home park which we HATE WITH THE BURNING PASSION OF A THOUSAND SUNS by now hahaha... i just want to park in an RV park, pay month to month and take off whenever we want to... if we HAVE TO buy a big ol' truck to tow it, we can do that later... we have been thinking more about getting rid of everything and living lean and mean, and we just might do that, there should be room under the bed for photographs and papers that mean alot to us, right? and has anybody ever SLEPT on those springy serta mattresses that come with the RV, we have bad backs and are wondering if we will just need a memory foam topper or what.... thanks for your help guys, and also i wanted to ask, what is this grey water black water business, do we have holding tanks for our poop and shower water that we will have to empty? or do these destination trailers work differently?

thank yas!!!
elaineoxoxoxxoxoxox
Old 10-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
Head Rambler

You'll be surprised at how "efficient" you get at storing things and just how many things you have that you don't really need.

Whenever I go to an RV lot the first thing I do is get in and out of the shower a few times and sit on the toidy like I was using it. Several RV salesmen have commented on how many people they get that never "try out" the unit to see if it works for them. I've never had a negative comment about doing it.

As for photographs and papers that mean a lot to you they should be kept in a safe deposit box of fire proof safe somewhere even if you're in a permanent home. There is probably enough room in the RV for a small fire proof/ water proof safe.

Most all the long term RV parks have full hookups and you will empty your gray and black water right on site. There will be a hose connected from your sewer outlet to the parks sewer connection and all you have to do is operate a couple of valves once in a while. It's really not as big a deal as some make it.

Some park model trailers don't have holding tanks so they work just like a permanent home.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Not knowing the whole situation, other than tired of trailer parks, and ready to get out, I have a suggestion. If you don't have a truck to tow with, why not rent a motor home for a week-end, and camp somewhere close by. I realize it won't be the ideal situation, and the motor home may not fit you, but it's just a week-end, and you will get a taste of camping life. I know a lot of people that tried it once, and that was their first and last time. Just a suggestion, since it sounds like you have never been camping before.

Also be very careful what you plan to do. Sometimes in our haste to run away from something we hate, we run to something that, looks good at the time, but a short time later we hate even worse. (the grass on the other side of the fence needs mowing too). If you buy a camper now and hate it in 6 months, you'll never get it sold without loosing a lot of money.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

I forget the movie/TV show, (I think it was a Star Trek episode - Spock speaking as I recall).

He said, "Sometimes the wanting is more satisfying than the having."

I know my wife and I "romanticised" the RV lifestyle for years before we retired and had convinced ourselves that our "idea" of how it would be was going to be actualized.

Well, we do love it A LOT. But I must warn you it will NOT be what you think. It could be much better than you think; or much worse.

Since you are currently living in a trailer, I am sure you want to just be able to blast off when you get tired of noisy neighbors, etc. I totally understand. Just be aware you will be picking up a whole new set of problems as you shed your old ones.

Worrying about your stuff in storage; finding out that what you need is in a box back in Vancouver.

You might find you HATE that small pot, that seemed OK when you sat on it at the dealer.

You might find you HATE that small shower and you REALLY hate standing in line at the Shower House at the campground because you can't move in the "huge" 32 inch shower stall in the RV.

Smallish holding tanks and dumping them when they get full can get to be a chore you and your hubby hate equally (I don't mind and she can't stand even watching - go figure).

Just make sure you are being as objective as possible about this life style change. There is a reason there are A LOT of brand new almost never used (1 or 2 trips) RVs on the market. It really is "not for everyone."

It is a very expensive mistake to make if you are not going in with "Eyes Open."

So now get out there and

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
general advice, grand lodge, newbie