Old 03-31-2015, 09:48 PM   #1
Go Pack Go!!

Insulation R14, R38 or both?

We are ordering a Wildwood 4092BFL to replace our 2008 Wildwood 392FKTB. The option list has two different options for insulation.

First is: "Double Insulation (Floor & Roof Only) R14

Second is: "Extreme Weather Pkg (calculated R38 @80 degree F).

We camp mainly in Central WI, and can camp over the winter too. My first thought was....order both options. The more insulation the better. But I guess the regional sales rep said it would make the camper too tight so it would not breathe properly.

I am pretty savvy in the construction industry, so I felt the comment may not be too accurate knowing how many "leaks" are in a travel trailer.

Wondering if anyone else has thought about or had experience on these options, and if you were able to get both, or who I could talk to at Forest River about this? Camper is scheduled to be done on the production line by mid May. For now, we only chose the R38 option per the dealer since he would not let us do both.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:21 AM   #2

I noticed the Extreme Weather Pkg is a calculated R38 @80 degree F. That might be combining the R14 insulation with a type of heat radiation/retention barrier, not thicker insulation. If it were me that's the one I'd go with.
Did you consider dual-pane windows too?

Old 04-01-2015, 12:07 PM   #3
Go Pack Go!!

Thanks for the info. I did see something in a YouTube video on that shield.

Regarding windows, the dealer did not give us that option, nor was it listed on the "extra's" sheet. How would one go about getting that option, if it is available for that model?
Old 04-01-2015, 12:56 PM   #4

You'd have to contact your dealer about the windows to see if they're available on your model. If they are I'd highly recommend you consider them.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:07 PM   #5
Go Pack Go!!

I agree.....it would help immensely.

Just ordered triple panes for our whole house.

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:51 PM   #6
Go Pack Go!!

I emailed sales/service at Forest River last night. Early this morning they responded that I can get both the Extreme Weather Package AND the Double Insulation R14 floor and Ceiling. This despite the regional sales manager telling myself and the dealer that it was not possible to get both. For the extra $125, it's a no-brainer.

I also inquired on dual pane windows in the email. She said it was available for the Wildwood, including the patio door.

I immediately contacted my dealer on both items, and he contacted Forest River to confirm and called me right back. He added the Double Insulation to my order, and the cost on the dual pane upgrade was only $1300 for the whole trailer. For all the big windows and the number of them in the 4092BFL, I felt that was a steal. It is now added to my order, as the camper is scheduled to come off the production line around May 12th.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Windows. That and the added insulation will help with A/C electricity and propane costs throughout the year!

I did inquire on 5.1 surround and it is not available anymore on our Wildwood. I just wonder how many other upgrade options there are out there that are not written for us to see. My dealer indicated he only had one dual pane add on in the last five years. I'm guessing because they do not advertise it in any way.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:11 PM   #7

Money very well spent. I'm glad your dealer and FR could get them added to your order.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:48 PM   #8

Great decision on window upgrade,

TST 507RV TPMS
Zolin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation