Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #21
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasdow77 View Post
We use USAA, not the cheapest and not the most expensive but I have had outstanding service from them for 20yrs on all our vehicles and homes. They only cover TT and 5ers, they partner with Progressive for motorhomes.
Unfortunately, not all of us qualify for USAA.
However, I have had exceptional luck and service from my Erie agent. Going from a Nissan Armada/Flagstaff 27BESS combo to my current motor home, my rate only went up $20/year.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
However, I have had exceptional luck and service from my Erie agent. Going from a Nissan Armada/Flagstaff 27BESS combo to my current motor home, my rate only went up $20/year.

True. I'm lucky enough to have USAA through my father being in the military. I was able to keep it when I became an independent adult. Great company. I have no complaints.
Jasdow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #23

ins

Progressive through Costco, best deal we found.
tahoe1840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #24

Just got the renewal statements for my home and vehicles last week. I went into my insurance company and my agent got my homeowners reduced $43 and my vehicle insurance reduced and liability limits increased for a savings of $301 per year.

She told me she knows some tricks and not all insurance companies check accounts for certain things, annually, which is where the savings comes from. She is also taking over my Hagerty classic car insurance, that may or may not save money.

So I saved $344 in insurance premiums for the next year and kept my same insurance carrier.
41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post

I dropped USAA some years back. Over the years they have become more expensive to the point they aren't competitive anymore. I also found that while their phone support is better than most of the other big companies it pales when compared to the service I get from my local Farm Bureau agent.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
I dropped USAA some years back. Over the years they have become more expensive to the point they aren't competitive anymore. I also found that while their phone support is better than most of the other big companies it pales when compared to the service I get from my local Farm Bureau agent.
I have always had fantastic service. Things get done very quickly and efficiently. I'm sure I could find cheaper insurance somewhere... As long as a person is happy and confident in their insurance company, it's all good. Happy camping!
Jasdow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:58 AM   #27

Insurance Increase

I'm going through this thread but maybe someone in Florida is having the same issue I am. I have my RV (I'm full time), car and small utility trailer through the FMCA insurance program in Florida. Last year I removed one car and had two points removed from my license (2 left). I just received my new policy and the yearly increase in insurance is about $850.00! What gives? When I contacted the carrier I was told basically take it or leave it! This is due to "problems" in Florida. Note: FMCA uses the same carrier (National General) that Camping World uses. Any one have any better insurance plans that they know of?
Homejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:32 AM   #28

I'm late to this thread because I am just now starting to look around for a new insurance company to replace Progressive. No complaints against Progressive but their rates have gone up around 30% since I started with them in 2012. I got a quote from ExplorerRV Insurance that is 37% less than Progressive. Has anyone heard of them? Doing an insurance search on this forum and reading through some previous threads on insurance I do not see them mentioned by anyone.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:09 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
I'm late to this thread because I am just now starting to look around for a new insurance company to replace Progressive. No complaints against Progressive but their rates have gone up around 30% since I started with them in 2012. I got a quote from ExplorerRV Insurance that is 37% less than Progressive. Has anyone heard of them? Doing an insurance search on this forum and reading through some previous threads on insurance I do not see them mentioned by anyone.
I don't know a thing about that insurance company, but you should do a search for reviews on them.

Here's a link to approximately 27 reviews, but I can't vouch for their validity:

Explorer Insurance Company - 27 Reviews - Insurance - Santa Clarita, CA - Phone Number - Yelp

2016 Forest River Heritage Glen 276RLIS
2017 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 2500HD Duramax
Pasco, Washington
Old 07-11-2016, 09:26 AM   #30

Wow 41ford, not to stellar of a review! Ouch!! Thanks for the link.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #31

I don't know you situation...I just added mine to my auto policy. It was $120 year. I have Farm Bureau Insurance.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:53 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
I would check a couple of more, could have completely different reviews. Plus, check the BBB (Better Business Bureau) where their home base is. If the company is a good one, they like having that BBB logo on their webpage and ads. If they are turkeys, they normally won't be members.

If I am buying any kind of appliance, vehicle, or any other consumer item, I always do a webs search for user reviews. There have been items I wanted to buy, but have changed my mind because of the reviews.

Also remember, some of the companies have their own people that will give rave reviews on some of these websites. So like with everything else, it's buyer beware.

Good luck in finding an insurance company that you are happy with.

2016 Forest River Heritage Glen 276RLIS
2017 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 2500HD Duramax
Pasco, Washington
Old 07-19-2016, 01:21 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasdow77 View Post
We use USAA, not the cheapest and not the most expensive but I have had outstanding service from them for 20yrs on all our vehicles and homes. They only cover TT and 5ers, they partner with Progressive for motorhomes.
We are considering USAA, do you know if they cover contents?? I didn't realize there were loop holes per se to consider?
klbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:21 AM   #34

We use National General Insurance. So far, they have been great! Even after having the policy for maybe a week then, filing a total loss claim.

They had us back in a new trailer within three weeks.

JR
2016 F-250 4x4
2015 Wildwood 27RKSS
JRnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:01 AM   #35

Comparision of Insurance Coverage

I performed a "search" is my friend on as many threads for insurance as I could find and read ALOT of useful information. I contacted ten or more companies to compare coverage and cost. What I learned:

1. Each state has different rates for each company
Example: The same coverage with the same RV with the same person can be different depending on where you live; some companies don't operate in certain states

2. Coverage options vary by company in - age of RV - original owner or not; all companies do not offer the same exact coverage
Examples of Options: Good Sam is less expensive for me where I live but much higher for others and full replacement coverage is not available for some because you must purchase the coverage within specific time period of you new RV purchase. Good Sam has a storage option where I can remove coverage during storage months saving me an extra $100 per year. With no claims each year my deductible drops 25%. Vacation liability is very important in today's society ... if someone is injured at your campsite involving your RV or camping gear - you are financially responsible.

3. Service from the carrier is the most important, this I found very useful on the "search is my friend"; some companies have great reviews on service and others have not so good reviews.

4. Do your research, ask questions, request policy coverage terms prior to making a decision and read them - just because someone says your covered for something doesn't mean you are - if it's not in writing it's not covered OR maybe it's excluded.
Example: I asked a question about a coverage item, I was "told" I was covered for that - I asked for it in writing - after the agent researched they concluded I was not covered for what I questioned. It's "your" responsibility to do "your" research and remember "it's your money".

Talk to your Home Owner Insurance Agent: My main insurance agent for my home, vehicles, umbrella, etc... recommended I have a separate policy for my RV with a different company to avoid any serious financial impact to my main home owners policy in the event of a claim and purchase as much vacation liability as possible because it's cheap. (I have a good agent)

After many quotes and questions my choice was between Nationwide and Good Sam. Nationwide has full replacement coverage but you must insure your RV within 13 months of original purchase of the new RV therefore I was not eligible for this coverage and Nationwide does not have the storage option, but Nationwide vacation liability and road side service has better coverage.

The best coverage for me was Good Sam:
RV Insurance - RV Insurance Online : Good Sam RV Insurance
My Rate is $434 for 12 months if paid in full – and less when I use the storage option

This is the policy that I created:

Comprehensive: 1000 Deductible
Collision: 1000 Deductible
Diminishing Deductible: YES
Replacement Cost: YES
Personal Effects: 3000
RV Vacation Liability: 300,000
Storage Option: YES
Timbren & Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
sonic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:16 AM   #36

Good info, thanks.

Some stuff I learned while shopping for insurance for the new one.

Progressive did 3 things that swayed me. One, they had the highest deductible (Making the premium lower), at $2,500.00. That's a lot, but Two, the deductible disappears at 25% a year......so I 'gambled' that I'd not have a claim the first two years, making the deductible down to where all the others were in 2 years, and still going down.......but kept the premium lower. Three, they offered full replacement value for 3 years............or maybe 5 (I'm old, I forget). No depreciation during that time....in fact, they replace with whatever the new one costs at the time of loss.

They also allowed me (I guess this is Four.....) to choose from a drop down box of the exact amount/value of contents...I could pick $5,000 or $25,000 or whatever. When I found out my State Farm policy on the previous trailer didn't even cover contents (they try to lump it somehow into a percentage of your homeowners), this was very attractive.

Maybe I paid more for all that, I don't know......(Good Sam was 4X the price of Progressive, quite amazing), but it was better RV coverage than anything else I found.

Too many folks IMHO shop price only.........and don't understand coverage. The cheapest might be the best for you........but it might be the worst.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:14 AM   #37

Thank you so much!! Love the details! That's exactly what is helping me learn! Thank you thank you!!
klbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #38
Senior Senior Member

I just finished reading all the posts to this thread and did not see a mention of LIABILITY

What if you have someone over for dinner and they trip and break their neck on your RV stairs...... or a million other things that could happen?

My insurance guy did not have an answer when I asked him straight out except that our TT insurance did not cover liability issues. If there's a traffic accident, the tow vehicle will cover liability but not while parked in a campground.

He said my home owners "might" cover liability issues on the camper.

What about full timers that don't have a home owners policy?

Just thought I'd stir the pot a bit.

My home owners and vehicles have high liability limits and a $2 million umbrella. So I think I am all set but still wondering.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:18 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
I just finished reading all the posts to this thread and did not see a mention of LIABILITY

What if you have someone over for dinner and they trip and break their neck on your RV stairs...... or a million other things that could happen?

My insurance guy did not have an answer when I asked him straight out except that our TT insurance did not cover liability issues. If there's a traffic accident, the tow vehicle will cover liability but not while parked in a campground.

He said my home owners "might" cover liability issues on the camper.

What about full timers that don't have a home owners policy?

Just thought I'd stir the pot a bit.

My home owners and vehicles have high liability limits and a $2 million umbrella. So I think I am all set but still wondering.
Can't cut/paste cause all I have is .pdf, but mine covers Liability specifically in Section V, and has a Full Timers entire section (if you pay that premium).

Again, I got mine strictly because it's not the same company nor is it tied in any way to my vehicle or homeowners coverages.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:14 PM   #40

Too many different insurance threads in too many different forums

What more can I say. Its almost 90 out, humidity is high, sun is shining and I am waiting for the oldest and his family to show up from Indiana, so I am perusing the forum and what do I come across.

ANOTHER INSURANCE THREAD....and a question as to why they never hear about Liability insurance.

Just Wednesday in another thread asking about insurance prices, I basically told all about my Motorhome Insurance policy and about my insurance policies when I owned my 5er.

I live in Michigan and All motorized vehicles that are licensed are required by law to have the Minimum Michigan No Fault Insurance Policy on their vehicle.
This policy includes
Uninsured/Underinsured motorists,
Bodily Injury liablity,
Property damage liability
Property protection insurance
Personal protection insurance
Work loss coverage insurance
The state law mandates a set minimum for each category.
Michigan also has a annual statutory assessment on each licensed vehicle. Its $203.50 per licensed motor vehicle

Of course I carry much higher than the minimum and I also carry $400 deductible broad collision, $100 deductible comprehensive, and $30 a day car rental for should the vehicle be in the body shop or stolen.

Why such low deductibles?
Because they don't really cost that much extra, and a broken RV window could easily cost several thousand dollars.

I have very high Insurance credit score that gives me a 59% discount alone, then there is additional discounts for multiple vehicles, multiple products, anti theft devices, Air bags, Motorcycle defensive driving certificate, and a corporate discount due to where Murelene works.

The yearly bill for my 2017 MBS 2400WS is $1787

I mentioned a couple other things in that thread.

First off when shopping for insurance make sure you are fully covered when traveling to other states. Some will allow you to go without insurance, while others will require additional types of insurance, like Michigan does. If you read the the notice on any state road map, it will say that you are to abide by all traffic laws of the state you are driving in. That clause Includes their auto insurance requirements.

I never read about other members ever mentioning whether they make sure they are indeed fully covered when traveling to other states.

Now lets talk about trailers, both utility, travel, and 5er's

Here in Michigan, your Auto insurance policy covers the trailer you are towing up to a certain dollar value. The insurance companies will allow you to increase that amount for an additional fee. In In reality it is much more economical to have trailer insurance this way

example.

I have a tandem axle, all aluminum motorcycle transport trailer valued at $6000 along with a few other utility trailers, including a three yard dump trailer, I pull behind my Silverado 2500HD. I carry a $20,000 rider on my blanket auto policy so that any trailer I am towing along with its contents are covered for damage and theft.

The MICHIGAN MYFAULT INSURANCE COVERS the liability insurances. price $100 year.

Then when I had the 5er, the liability insurance, the fire and theft insurance, and the contents were covered by a rider on my homeowners policy when the trailer was parked. price $50 year.

When hooked to the truck, the trailer was covered under the autos blanket trailer rider

My vehicles are covered in the USA, MEXICO, and CANADA.

Insurance on an RV isn't something you want to skimp on, especially if you plan on traveling out of state or the USA. If you get in an accident in a state other than your own, you could end up in a world of hurt and lose everything if you fail to carry enough or the right type of auto insurance.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance