Old 07-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #41
Getting rid of Good Sam- National General Insurance. 2 yrs with them on motorhome, Ford Focus, 2007 Tundra. First year 10% increase and better than 40% increase second year. Nothing in our profile changed Nothing! Similar issue in 2010 travel trailer. Low initial quote then increase significantly next 2 years again no claims no issues no violations. Do you homework

360 Georgetown XL 2015

twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:31 AM   #42
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Interesting question. I just sold my TT in advance of ordering my 5'er and thus I cancelled my State Farm policy. I have every discount State Farm offers on home and cars, as a 43 year policy holder..........but the TT was fairly high premium. I got to checking, and they don't cover contents. I asked about that and was told "Well, that's covered as a 10% limit against your homeowners".

Huh? Don't get that. What does my home have to do with my travel trailer? So I checked around. Progressive is the only company I can find that covers contents separately, and on top of that, let's me choose how much coverage........$2,000, $30,000, choice.

They do two other things that I can't find elsewhere. They are only ones to have a $2,500 deductible, which lowers premium considerably. But........they reduce the deductible by like 25% (or so, not sure how much) each year that you don't have a claim. So, I can get the high deductible/low premium and in a couple of claim free years, the deductible is down to where the others would have been anyway.

I also checked with Good Sam's insurance.........and they were 3X higher premiums than Progressive for same trailer.

State Farm's premium was cheapest of the three, but I don't care for the actual coverage. (I had a similar situation when I got a new Side by Side ATV last year. State Farm treats it as a motorcycle, offers NO discounts, and wanted a fortune. Progressive treats it as an ATV. Motorcycles have booku claims. ATV's have almost none. Premium dropped way down.)

I have not checked anyone else. But clearly, the various companies are quite different.
We also went with Progressive for the reasons you mentioned. They also have a roadside assistance program that at the time my wife was repeating it over the telephone sounded better than Good Sam or Coach Net. Just got our policy in the mail today, so I will be checking it very carefully. Total was just over $400.00 a year, which I though was high, but after checking around, seems pretty reasonable.

2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/Diamond pkg.
2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Auto Crew Cab Long Bed
tdst51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:03 AM   #43
I have progressive on the TT and boat and they have provided a good rate. Its important to shop around, the old thinking about the good rate for being loyal to the company in my experience is not true.
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab)
2006 F350 6.0
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:17 AM   #44
We use Geico for our rolling stock and AAA RV PLUS for roadside.

2016 Rockwood 2703WS Sapphire
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCAB/3.55
Martsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:47 AM   #45
Inexpensive Insurance

Originally Posted by bjgillrocks View Post
I'm looking for the best deal on insurance for my new travel trailer. I will not be putting it on my current vehicle or my home owner's plans. Any tips? thanks
If you are associated with the military (past, current, etc.) USAA is the best I have found. I pay $41 every six months for a 28' TT.
nrkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #46
I have Liberty Mutual. I insure everything through them. My premiums increased by $60 per month after adding my TT.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 with towing package
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:24 PM   #47
We have Safeco. Progressive was outrageous, and we have pur vehicles with them. We havd replacement insurance and all the other bells & whistles.

2012 Rockwood 8293RKSS
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Turbodiesel 4x4; 2012 Ford Escape 4x4. 3 very pampered cats.
Days camped: 2011: 61; 2012: 66 Days; 2013: 69;2014: 68 2015: 90 Days camped 2016: 34
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote