Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #1

Insurance during the off-season

Working full time and being in northern New England, our camping season is short. We store the travel trailer from October into May, outdoors on a business lot owned by a friend. We also have the option to store it a family members home.

I took out full insurance on our travel trailer, which we've had for 3 years now. Should I be adjusting this during the period its not moving or keep the same level of coverage year round?
maia285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
Site Team

You can discuss that with your agent, but they may have already figured the off season into your rates.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maia285 View Post
Working full time and being in northern New England, our camping season is short. We store the travel trailer from October into May, outdoors on a business lot owned by a friend. We also have the option to store it a family members home.

I took out full insurance on our travel trailer, which we've had for 3 years now. Should I be adjusting this during the period its not moving or keep the same level of coverage year round?

I have USAA, they allow storage on cars but not on TT’s.
Gunslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:05 PM   #4

If there is a loan the loan company would require coverage.

Liability could be optional but what if something were to happen like someone was injured by your trailer.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:21 PM   #5

I would keep the Comprehensive coverage thru the winter..and drop the rest.
"Comprehensive covers your RV for events beyond your control: theft, vandalism, fire, glass breakage, weather-related incidents, and collisions with animals. "
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #6

Agree with Clintbonnie, I have Good Sam and they refund collision etc when rv is in storage for longer than 30 days. Refund is about half of total monthly charge.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #7

I only have comp on our CC year round......Collision is covered under my truck policy...J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #8

Wow!!! Good question. Why didn't I think of that.
I live in southern New England (Massachusetts).

I thank you for bringing this topic up.
I will now contact my insurance agent to inquire about storage verse travel, but will keep the thought of winter storm damage along with fire & theft.
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:22 PM   #9

My preference is full coverage year round. For what little money I'd be saving, its worth the piece of mind. Especially since we've already had a camper stolen from our own property.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:28 PM   #10

off season insurance

Yes it is a good idea to reduce coverage, I have Commerce insurance, and the trailer is still covered in the event it gets damaged while in storage. This did not effect any requirement from the lien holder. Consult your insurance agent.
mlenart294BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:37 PM   #11

My TT is on "storage" insurance whenever it's not in use. Since I live in Michigan, my camping season is similar to the OP in that it is short. I have a loan on my TT and my lender does not care if the TT is being stored or used as it is insured regardless. My TT lives at home where I do and I don't worry overly much about it being vandalized or damaged while on storage coverage. To switch between storage coverage and on the road coverage, I simply call my insurance company and let them know which one I want to use and it is either activated or deactivated within an hour or so of my calling.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #12

For what I pay for insurance it’s not worth cancelling any part of it...$150 for the year.

Also a guy I know thought his trailer was covered under the truck insurance but found out pretty quick it wasn’t when he took his 5er under a low bridge.
Threegaleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:32 PM   #13

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbonnie73 View Post
I would keep the Comprehensive coverage thru the winter..and drop the rest.
"Comprehensive covers your RV for events beyond your control: theft, vandalism, fire, glass breakage, weather-related incidents, and collisions with animals. "
X2
Old 11-11-2019, 08:41 PM   #14

I am at a seasonal site and I don't have collision coverage which is half the cost of full coverage. If I take it on the road I call the insurance company and add it back on. It is worth it to me. $1000 a year for full coverage and $500 a year for comprehensive only. I do have to inform the lien holder when I drop the collision portion.
I question the people that say their TT is covered under their truck insurance. I was told by my truck insurance company that it is NOT covered, I need a separate RV policy. When I had a MH and pulled a toad with a dolly, the tow dolly had a separate insurance policy.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #15
Kasual Kamper

I store mine in my back yard and my homeowners covers it under the personal property clause.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #16

reduce cost on Insurance

I remove collision and road side assistance during storage.
saves $106 for the year...
Antonio54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:18 AM   #17

We take collision off and it saves us 500 bucks. We have Amica insurance and they require a 30 day notice before storing and returning the RV to the road. Just a simple call and its taken care of. Love this insurance company because they have never balked at a claim and are extremely easy to deal with.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:58 PM   #18

Thanks everyone

Lots of great answers. Thanks for giving me some perspective. We have Ameriprise through Costco. I guess I should give them a call. We have bundled home and auto and tt insurance. I'm shocked some of you pay so little. I was shocked when I added the trailer and saw how much rates went up- nearly as much as we were already paying on two contemporary vehicles, but figured it was common. Definitely time to ask more questions.
maia285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by maia285 View Post
Lots of great answers. Thanks for giving me some perspective. We have Ameriprise through Costco. I guess I should give them a call. We have bundled home and auto and tt insurance. I'm shocked some of you pay so little. I was shocked when I added the trailer and saw how much rates went up- nearly as much as we were already paying on two contemporary vehicles, but figured it was common. Definitely time to ask more questions.
Shop around for the trailer insurance. Call foremost. If you like their quote call a farmers agent and have them quote it through foremost. Should be even lower.

My policy is an annual policy. So no turning it off. But for the $45 a month it costs me for a 10 year replacement cost policy it’s not worth turning it off. One storm dumping a tree or a heavy snow load damaging the trailer and You’ll wish you wouldn’t have turned it off.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance