Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #1

Insurance for our new Trailer

Right now we have Progressive( cave man insurance) . OUr home and cars are with Hartford AARP. Does anyone have them? or could tell me of a good company. NO problems with Proressive just want to find the best.
toshiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
Site Team

By "best" do you mean cheapest?

On my other trailer chat board the subject of trailer insurance comes
up often.
Folks with similar trailers will post widely different prices in different
parts of the country.

It's a good idea to shop around if you're looking for the lowest rate.
Since we've never had a claim, it's hard to rate ours as far as "best"
is concerned.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:55 AM   #3

I thought GEICO was the cave man insurance? In my experience with GEICO thy settle claims within 24 hours (their ad claim) by NOT paying them! Their and with cave man and Gecko are moronic.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I thought GEICO was the cave man insurance? In my experience with GEICO thy settle claims within 24 hours (their ad claim) by NOT paying them! Their and with cave man and Gecko are moronic.

opps my mistake you are right GEICO.... what was i thinking.. Thanks for pointing that out...

No i do not want the cheapest i want the best coverage..

irv2.com National rally... Dundee, Ohio
June14-20, 2009
Old 04-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #5

I have State Farm, pretty cheap and large company
Old 04-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #6

I use Nationwide for everthing. They are a bit higher but been with them 20 years and cant bring myself to change.

Mike
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:46 AM   #7

Progressive .

For the coverage and the price, my Homeowners and Auto Insurance agent said he can't beat it.

milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:08 AM   #8

We use Safeco, we have their coverage for the house, car, truck and RV. Over the 20 years that we have had them as our insurance provider, we have been through three hail storms (1 in Texas and 2 in Tenn), and property damge on an automoblie. They have paid for the repairs with no problems.

There are other insurance companies that cover RVs that include Formost, Good Sams etc. I looked into these but could not get a better rate that I am now paying.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:13 PM   #9

We switched to Geico, I have 5 vehicles and one RV and all have full coverage, 3 three drivers one of the drivers is 19 year. When we switched to Geico our premium drop over $1,100, and soon to have a 4th driver. I have had no problems with service from Geico and I just checked around for new rates and can not find anyone that can bet Geico's rates.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:13 PM   #10

Hate GEICO - had to sue them once when they would not pay medical bills because the other driver had no insurance. So, they are not great, folks... not at all. If someone else hits you and they have no insurance and no assets, GEICO will backburner your claims til the 12th of Never. So, it took an attorney to settle our accident.

We useProgressive insurance for our '05 37 ft. Wildwood and are thrilled. I think the cost was about $550 for Florida, with a $250 deductible, which is not cheap, but not bad, either, considering the value of the trailer.

Within the first week of owning the trailer, we made the mistake of leaving the 22' awning up during a rainstorm. It broke and collapsed, totally ruining it. The cost to replace it, including labor was about $1130. We were sick at heart about our stupidity, and lack of knowledge about the awning.

The good news was that Progressive got right on the claim. They did insist on visiting the site where the trailer is parked to process the claim, due to the newness of the policy, but he printed me a check on the spot with a mobile printer, and a week later, we had a replacement awning installed.

So, I have nothing but good things to say about Progressive. Another insurer might have been a lot more difficult over a claim in the first week, which was just plain bad luck on our part.
walk_the_walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #11

Walk The Walk, I don't under stand why they wouldn't pay. What state are you from? Here in Maryland, we carry what is called "uninsured motorist coverage" This is mandatory here and it is just for that reason, people driving with on insurance to cover you because they can't or won't. This is a fund set up by the state.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #12

RE:Insurance

Well I have Auto Owners Insurance for home, auto and camper. This weekend I had to make a claim on both my camper and my truck totaling $10,000 and they gave me no hassles what so ever. Another good insurance company is Citizens. I have found that it is better to go through an insurance broker who can shop multiple companies rather that ones like Allstate, AAA and the like. Make sure you ask for nay group discounts you are eligible for like professional organizations, alumni groups, etc.

Good Luck!
steve0471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #13

Thanks all ..but Progressive can still not beat other insurance companies i called. Hartford AARP ...was the worse.

irv2.com National rally... Dundee, Ohio
June14-20, 2009
Old 06-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #14

We have Allstate on our home,car,truck and Rv. Two weeks after we bought the new camper, my partner had an inexperienced spotter backing him and led him into the eve of a building and tore the awning off of the trailer. Allstate never even looked at the trailer . The adjuster called the Rv center service manager, got an estimate and two days later we had a check. Three days after that I had our camper back with a new awning and a promise NEVER to use that man as a spotter again.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #15

We use National Interstate. Seems like reasonable rates. Hopefully, if the need ever rises they will provide good services...
lori08360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:10 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I'm happy with State Farm. Not the cheapest but a great agent that I can talk to and who represents us well.
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #17

I have Allsnake on my cars and camper. I USED TO have it on my homeowner's also- 19 years with 0 claims- BUT Florida and Mobile homes don't mix well with Allsnake or State Farm anymore, so I have this for now. There is much better specialized insurance out there, but it costs more.
Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:51 PM   #18

We went with Good Sam and found it to be a lot better than State FArm for coverage. Also, State Farm wanted to add for the slideout in addition to the base price. Good Sam uses GMAC.
Another feature is they do not charge collision if stored for 30 days or more. Just call when taking it out and again when putting it back in storage. However, check with your finance company first on this as some do not have provision for not having collision at any time.

Jim & Eileen
Silverado 1500 Crew Cab, 5.3 ltr, prodigy controller.
2009 Rockwood 2604.

Running mates Max & Kate Chihuahua's

Hobie Kayaks on Thule rack on truck

Retired Army EOD
jdeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #19

I have USAA for vehicles and property. I use Geico for TT..... for some reason USAA wont do TT's
northstarfire0693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #20
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We have Geico on our cars and motorhome. I too had the great pleasure of being directed into a water faucet by an employee of a campground in Gettysburg. Five baggage doors creased and scraped up. We have a full body paint exterior also. I contacted Geico, set up an appointment at Chesaco RV for an estimate. Close to $5,000 damage on a motorhome with 1600 miles on it. I could have strangled that employee right on the spot.The claims adjuster looked at the damage and took care of the payment minus my deductable. The campground was nice enough to split the deductable with me. Everything was replaced and looks great.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote