Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #21
Site Team

Not a big fan of insurance companies but need the services. Can't win for losing....

The company name really doesn't matter because sooner or later most they end up acting like other insurance companies.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #22

Just got off the phone with my Liberty Mutual Agent after reading this thread and asked her a few questions.

1. Comp and Collission cost $91.00 per year and covers everything with a $250.00 deductable while attached to truck or at a temp campground.

2. Homeowner covers TT while at a Seasonal Campground as long as it is removed from site during off season month. No extra cost.

This covers all Storm, Hail, Tornado, Wind, Valdilism, Water, Tree etc...

3. If stored at a secure storage facility homeowners covers TT. No extra cost.

4. If stored at home TT is cover under homeowners policy. No extra cost.

5. They will not cover TT if left at camp site all year!!!!!!!!

This is what the agent said and she is sending me this in writing as well.

I hope this is correct info.

John
2009 Silverado w/5000 lbs airbags and P3 controller.
2013 Rockwood 2702SS
US Army Veteran
Glockfanjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalohunter View Post
I am shopping for TT and TV insurance now. Ameriprise was covering my 27' Terry but now that I have a Windjammer 3008W, they say the trailer is too long and won't cover it and since they won't cover that they are canceling my '07 Tundra insurance.

WHAT!!!

I have never heard of that before. So, now I don't want to tow my new TT until I can get insurance.

Thanks a lot Ameriprise! (NOT)

I thought they were good until they pulled that one on me.

** venting just a bit **
Safeco never asked what vehicle we are using to tow our TT.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
I agree, truck covers the liability when towing, but nothing else. Camper has it's own policy for comprehensive and collision, that way you get your complete protection package on the camper without getting double dipped on liability.
Exactly. Truck insurance would cover liability (damage done BY the TT) but not damage TO the TT. Your TT insurance would cover collision and comprehensive.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #25

We had to get separate liability coverage for the trailer since I tow it with one of the trucks registered to my company and the are classed as commercial vehicles and don't extend liability coverage to the trailer.I then also got insurance that covers it at the campground or wherever for pretty much anything.All total 336.00 a year.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #26

GlockfanJohn, the Liberty Mutual person you spoke to is correct. I am an agent for a different company here in Cincinnati and our policy covers RV/travel trailers in the same fashion.
Bearcat55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat55 View Post
GlockfanJohn, the Liberty Mutual person you spoke to is correct. I am an agent for a different company here in Cincinnati and our policy covers RV/travel trailers in the same fashion.
I don't understand why anyone would want to buy an extra insurance policy that you don't need. I get total coverage for literally $91 a year. I guess to each their own and if it makes them feel all warm a fuzzy then that's ok. Personally I would rather spend that money on gas and take the family on a nice trip.

John
2013 Rockwood 2702SS
US Army Veteran
Old 02-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #28

Each state has it's own set of insurance regulations so, that may be the difference in who covers what and where. We have Allstate (almost 20 years) and have 4 vehicles covered (2 cars, TV and TT). The TT adds $187.62/6 mo. which includes $500 (diminishing) deductable Collision, $100 Comp which includes $10,000 contents coverage.
I think the reason I need additional coverage is because 1) we live in a condominium complex where I don't own the property, only the living unit (it won't fit in my driveway anyway) 2) we have to store it when not in use and 3) when at a CG and NOT connected to the TV it's not covered by the auto policy.

As mentioned earlier, this also just gives me a BIG headache.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Each state has it's own set of insurance regulations so, that may be the difference in who covers what and where. We have Allstate (almost 20 years) and have 4 vehicles covered (2 cars, TV and TT). The TT adds $187.62/6 mo. which includes $500 (diminishing) deductable Collision, $100 Comp which includes $10,000 contents coverage.
I think the reason I need additional coverage is because 1) we live in a condominium complex where I don't own the property, only the living unit (it won't fit in my driveway anyway) 2) we have to store it when not in use and 3) when at a CG and NOT connected to the TV it's not covered by the auto policy.

As mentioned earlier, this also just gives me a BIG headache.
After calling my Allstate agent yesterday my headache just got bigger too.

Dad and I live at the same place but have our own policies. Dad's HO is linked to my auto policy. Allstate just raised dad's deductable from $100 to $2,500 after filing a 3rd claim on the house since 1962 (all 3 claims combined = ~6K).

Turns out that if my coverage falls under the HO policy instead of the TT policy I will need to meet my dad's $2,500 deductable. If this is true why am I paying for zero/$50 deductable and $5k coverage for personal stuff on my TT & auto policies? Also was told that theft is not covered at all (personal stuff) but I have $5k in coverage.

I'm back to thinking that using a different company might not be so bad after all.

BTW - my agent is suppose to be putting together a list of what is covered and what is not covered and which policy.... and she said she would put it in simple english terms not using insurance company language.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #30

That sucks.The three legal thieves; Tax man,Bankers and Insurance companies.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malco View Post
That sucks.The three legal thieves; Tax man,Bankers and Insurance companies.

And don't forget Lawyers.....they take your money even if they don't win your case!!!!!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockfanjohn

I don't understand why anyone would want to buy an extra insurance policy that you don't need. I get total coverage for literally $91 a year. I guess to each their own and if it makes them feel all warm a fuzzy then that's ok. Personally I would rather spend that money on gas and take the family on a nice trip.
Well...let's see. My deductible on my camper insurance is lower. My TT is NOT covered by my auto insurance policy except for any damage my TT does to another vehicle or property. That means it's not covered for theft, fire, comprehensive, collision. It also has a very nice roadside assistance clause, diminishing deductible and FULL replacement within the first 4 years. That means they'll buy me a brand new camper, the current model, if mine is totaled. So I'll pay the $20-some bucks a month for that.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #33

I think you missenturped my statement. If you read the post that you took offence to you can see the word "EXTRA" policy. What I was implying is that some people may be doubling up on insurance that is not needed. If you or anyone else does not get the same coverage as we (we= the people of Ohio) I think you should buy an extra policy(I know I would). I think everyone should call their insurance agent and find out exactly what they are covered for. Most insurance agents would rather sell an extra policy rather than to volunteer info.

John
2013 Rockwood 2702SS
US Army Veteran
Old 02-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #34

We added it to our automobile insurance. If we didn't add it, it was still covered for liability (if we damaged someone else's property) but we added it to our policy so we could get comprehensive which covers fire, theft, and vandalism & collision (if we are in an accident it will pay to fix our RV). It's only $86/yr.
forrestbeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestbeagle View Post
We added it to our automobile insurance. If we didn't add it, it was still covered for liability (if we damaged someone else's property) but we added it to our policy so we could get comprehensive which covers fire, theft, and vandalism & collision (if we are in an accident it will pay to fix our RV). It's only $86/yr.

I had to add it to my auto policy also. It cost me $91 per year. Others unfortunately dont get the same benifit as we do and have to buy and actual RV policy that runs alot more than what we have to pay to be totally covered.

John
2013 Rockwood 2702SS
US Army Veteran
Old 02-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #36

Okay, after many quotes and a lot of wild ones like 2 - 3 times higher prices I have settles on Mercury Ins. They were way better than a lot and lowest of all. I used an insurance broker to do the searching along with all the quotes I was receiving. AARP was not in the running at all nor was AAA or Good Sam. In fact they were all considerably higher. I have had experience with Mercury in the past and have found them to be good in answering calls and responding to questions. Some insurance companies don't even answer phone calls. I got so tired of being put on hold after going through the answering machine ques. Also very tired of filling out online questions only to be told to call a toll free number that no one answered.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #37
Site Team

Since reading this thread I started to do some research on my RV policy with Allstate which turned up some questions. I checked with the Auto Club and also waiting for Farmers to email the information to review. I do intend on checking on a couple of the popular RV companies too so I can compare them all.

After I get this taken care of I will start reviewing options for roadside assistance next to determine what I have vs what I need.

This is a great thread!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Since reading this thread I started to do some research on my RV policy with Allstate which turned up some questions. I checked with the Auto Club and also waiting for Farmers to email the information to review. I do intend on checking on a couple of the popular RV companies too so I can compare them all.

After I get this taken care of I will start reviewing options for roadside assistance next to determine what I have vs what I need.

This is a great thread!
For road side assistance in California I chose AAA Premier membership. The Forest River covers road service for the first year but has a $75 deductible I believe. The AAA Premier was $79 a year and covers windshield replacement on the TV with a $50 deductible which seemed pretty good considering the cost of windshield replacement these days.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalohunter View Post
For road side assistance in California I chose AAA Premier membership. The Forest River covers road service for the first year but has a $75 deductible I believe. The AAA Premier was $79 a year and covers windshield replacement on the TV with a $50 deductible which seemed pretty good considering the cost of windshield replacement these days.
The downside to AAA is that I ended upgrading my auto roadside coverage so that the truck could be towed along with the trailer if need be and this cost a lot more than I would like to pay. Before the upgrade the truck was only covered for something like 8 or 12 miles for towing. Wouldn't the auto policy cover the TV windshield replacement?