Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2015, 04:32 PM   #1

Insurance Question

So we just picked up our new camper [2016 Salem Hemisphere 27BH] last week. I am wondering what you guys are doing for insurance as far as coverages.

I had my old camper through the same insurance as home/auto - Indiana Farm Bureau. I paid $55 a year for the 2005 Roo.

I had him update it to the new camper with the new totals that was paid on the camper and it raised the rates to $190 per year.

Code:
* D Other Than Collision = Actual Cash Value Less $250 Deductible Each Accident
Code:
* Collision = Actual Cash Value Less $250 Deductible Each Accident
Maximum Limited Liability for price we paid on the camper.

I guess I haven't shopped around, but feel this is good. Those are the two coverage's that I have currently.

Is that coverage standard for campers? Am I missing something else that should be included? We are not full timers. Just weekend getaways and maybe a week long trip once a year.

-- 2017 Ford F150 FX4/Lariat
-- 3.5L EcoBoost w/ 10 Speed & Max Tow
-- 2016 Salem Hemisphere Lite 27BH
Shanks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

My parents have Farmers and are happy. We had Nationwide until they started to raise the rates way up for no reason. Our agent said most do not want to deal with an RV since there are a pain to cover(??). We now have Good Sam's. We have not needed it but it was much cheaper. Things to keep in mind, this is new so it is worth more. My guess much more than the 2005 Roo.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
My parents have Farmers and are happy. We had Nationwide until they started to raise the rates way up for no reason. Our agent said most do not want to deal with an RV since there are a pain to cover(??). We now have Good Sam's. We have not needed it but it was much cheaper. Things to keep in mind, this is new so it is worth more. My guess much more than the 2005 Roo.
Yeah, I knew the price was going up. And I'm okay with that. More just asking about the coverage, not necessarily the rate.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #4
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
We have found that 'bundling' with State Farm has worked good for us....joined up with 'em when I stepped off the 'Mayflower'.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:04 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks12 View Post
Yeah, I knew the price was going up. And I'm okay with that. More just asking about the coverage, not necessarily the rate.
Ok, misunderstood, sorry. My trailer is insured by the vehicle towing it while being pulled. I have full coverage fro when it is parked at the CG or homebase. I have full replacement for 3 or 4 years then prorated after that.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:15 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Most vehicle insurance companies will only cover our rig for Liability while hooked up. Collision and comprehensive require a separate policy. When I research for policies I look for replacement value. If you don't have replacement value you are on the hook for payments if it is not paid off. Actual cash value will only pay for the value of the camper at the time it is totaled.

I would not insurance my camper under the terms that you show.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:38 PM   #7
fx2

The one item I'd look into changing is the Actual Cash Value coverage. Have them look at Replacement Value. Trailers depreciate at an incredible rate.
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx2 View Post
The one item I'd look into changing is the Actual Cash Value coverage. Have them look at Replacement Value. Trailers depreciate at an incredible rate.
Good advice. ^^^^^^^^^

With some, such as Progressive, you can enter the replacement value yourself for actual replacement cost. Use the MSRP and not what you paid for it.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:18 PM   #9
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
So we just picked up our new camper [2016 Salem Hemisphere 27BH] last week. I am wondering what you guys are doing for insurance as far as coverages.

I had my old camper through the same insurance as home/auto - Indiana Farm Bureau. I paid $55 a year for the 2005 Roo.

I had him update it to the new camper with the new totals that was paid on the camper and it raised the rates to $190 per year.

Code:
* D Other Than Collision = Actual Cash Value Less $250 Deductible Each Accident
Code:
* Collision = Actual Cash Value Less $250 Deductible Each Accident
Maximum Limited Liability for price we paid on the camper.

I guess I haven't shopped around, but feel this is good. Those are the two coverage's that I have currently.

Is that coverage standard for campers? Am I missing something else that should be included? We are not full timers. Just weekend getaways and maybe a week long trip once a year.
Alright. I have Oklahoma farm bureau insurance and have for years. I work in the collision industry and we have to work with insurance and coverages every day. Plus my agent is a good friend and has had to help me insure several businesses and dozens of vehicles as im always dealing with vehicles. Plus I've specifically asked about and read all my coverages.

We have our 2015 Sabre 36qbok insured with them on our vehicle policy. We carry a $1,000 deductible and our rate is $147 every 6 months for collision and comprehensive insurance. (This covers the camper for any damage, wrecks, acts of God, fire, flood etc.) For about $40 or 50 more i could have dropped my deductible to $500. But since im in the industry, i can easily absorb the $1,000 deductible.
Like mentioned, your liability is covered by your vehicle. Like If your tail swing hits a car, your covered.

For anything other than those kind of losses, ....say someone falls of your steps of your camper, or trips over your dog at a campsite, your homeowners insurance (if you have homeowners insurance with liability coverages) will cover that.

If there is something else i didn't cover, just ask.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:24 PM   #10
Oklahoma Proud

Oh and we did have one camper totaled back in 2013 when the tornado went thru moore, ok. We sustained hail damage on it and it was only 10 months old. Farm bureau (actually they subbed it to another company to handle for them, since there were so many claims) worked with us very well. I was pleased with them and dont see any reason to ever switch.
They are one of the top tier insurance company's to work with in my opinion. They really take care of their customers. And not just with me but the claims from them that we get at work. I HIGHLY recommend Farm Bureau!
Old 12-03-2015, 10:35 PM   #11

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've scheduled a call with my agent tomorrow to ask some questions. We may end up changing our deductible to $500 which would drop the payment some.

But yeah I never thought about replacement value vs cash value. We paid $21,500 for it but with way campers devalue, it would be something worth asking.

And yeah, I have been with IN Farm Bureau since 2008 and have been happy with them.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I HIGHLY recommend Farm Bureau!

I looked them up to get a quote, they are only in 8 states and PA is not one of them. The OP is from Indiana and I don't think that's one either. That sucks. I like getting quotes.

Is this the correct website? you enter farm bureau and get a million hits.
https://www.fbfs.com/
Old 12-03-2015, 11:06 PM   #13
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I looked them up to get a quote, they are only in 8 states and PA is not one of them. The OP is from Indiana and I don't think that's one either. That sucks. I like getting quotes.

Is this the correct website? you enter farm bureau and get a million hits.
https://www.fbfs.com/
Op stated in original post he had Indiana farm bureau.
Thats thier financial site you have listed. I've used it before for an auto loan and we currently use for our credit card.

I thought every state had them, maybe not. I've seen in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Illinois, Kansas, Texas, Tennessee, Missouri, Florida.
I don't know for sure about all the states but i did find Pennsylvania has them too. I googled - farm bureau insurance Pennsylvania and this is what i pulled up. Sorry i dont know how to do a web link on a phone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1449201971270.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	95545  
Old 12-03-2015, 11:16 PM   #14
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've scheduled a call with my agent tomorrow to ask some questions. We may end up changing our deductible to $500 which would drop the payment some.

But yeah I never thought about replacement value vs cash value. We paid $21,500 for it but with way campers devalue, it would be something worth asking.

And yeah, I have been with IN Farm Bureau since 2008 and have been happy with them.
We have the " cash value "as you put it just like most vehicles are insured as. Its basically the fair market value of the vehicle, or what an equivalent vehicle or trailer is selling for. You will pay more for "replacement value" insurance, but its what ever you want to do.

Me personally, i put enough down on my campers so i dont have to worry about gap insurance or if insurance is going to pay off what i owe, because they will, plus more. But thats just me, but i guess a few other folks have replacement value insurance and see a need for it.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:22 PM   #15
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Op stated in original post he had Indiana farm bureau.
Thats thier financial site you have listed. I've used it before for an auto loan and we currently use for our credit card.

I thought every state had them, maybe not. I've seen in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Illinois, Kansas, Texas, Tennessee, Missouri, Florida.
I don't know for sure about all the states but i did find Pennsylvania has them too. I googled - farm bureau insurance Pennsylvania and this is what i pulled up. Sorry i dont know how to do a web link on a phone
Sorry, apon further review of that site for penn farm bureau, it appears that if you are a member you get a discounted rate thru nation wide insurance. Im sorry for the confusion, i should have looked thru the site better
Old 12-03-2015, 11:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks anyway Millertime, but thats literally the PA Farm Bureau
Lots of info on chickens, pigs, and corn. Now look what you have done, I'm hungry.

Looks to be a lot of companys out there going by farm bureau though for insurance that are in no way connected to each other.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:26 PM   #17
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Thanks anyway Millertime, but thats literally the PA Farm Bureau
Lots of info on chickens, pigs, and corn. Now look what you have done, I'm hungry.

Looks to be a lot of companys out there going by farm bureau though for insurance that are in no way connected to each other.
Lol ...sorry!
I realized that...up one post from your last
Old 12-04-2015, 12:19 AM   #18

Quote:
We have the " cash value "as you put it just like most vehicles are insured as. Its basically the fair market value of the vehicle, or what an equivalent vehicle or trailer is selling for. You will pay more for "replacement value" insurance, but its what ever you want to do.

Me personally, i put enough down on my campers so i dont have to worry about gap insurance or if insurance is going to pay off what i owe, because they will, plus more. But thats just me, but i guess a few other folks have replacement value insurance and see a need for it.
Yeah, that is something to think about. We did put down 20% so not sure if GAP would be worth it or not. Will talk with my agent tomorrow and see what all he has to say. - Thanks for the information.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:16 PM   #19

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Too each his own but if replacement coverage is not chosen one would get the current market value. RV's depreciate so quickly I don't see how one could not be faced with a huge deficit when buying another.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:23 AM   #20

I have, had a 2014 Wildwood 27RKSS snf iy wass recently totaled in an accident with a 18 wheeler. He wanted the lane I was in. Back on point. I carry Allstate full coverage. The policy shows $29,000 or ACV. That's the problem. The ins co wants to only pay$18,000 for my TT (ACV)_ I know it's worth about $26,or $27K. Be careful with them putting ACV on your policy.

Tags
insurance