Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2019, 01:04 PM   #1

Insurance Revelation

I have been with my (major company) insurance agent for over 30 years. My wife and I are at the age we want to begin downsizing; part of this is going over our expenses to make sure we are being smart with our finances. Just last week we saved $90 per month with Direct TV after I called them to let them know that I was willing to either change or drop entire service and operate on an outside antenna if they didn't do something. Had me talk to their loyalty group and found they wanted to keep me around.

Worked out so well I decided to test my insurance costs. Found out that my agent had his back; not mine. On my new 5er and two autos, I saved over $240 per month moving to another (major company) Crazier was that my new coverage is FAR superior than current. Checked my boat insurance and also saved over 35%; $120 per year moving it over.

So, two phone calls and a savings of right at $4000 per year. I wonder how many of my fellow RVers could do the same?
Lake5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:09 PM   #2

I did the same thing and my savings was unbelievable. Jerry
Old 09-06-2019, 01:31 PM   #3
Brake is on left

We reshop everything every year.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #4

We did the same exact thing with Direct TV and our vehicle/ rv insurance. Lower cost and better coverage.

It does pay to check every 6 months or so.
jenandrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:57 PM   #5

Am in the final stages of renewing my RV/Truck insurance (fulltimer). Interesting thing is the folks I've had the past 3 years were brokers who supposedly give you the 'best deal' they can. Called a new agent/broker who I've seen mentioned in various RV forums....they used the SAME insurance company, got the standard coverage, then added/upped a couple values and still saved over $450. per year! I'm a happy camper!
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:24 AM   #6

I hate insurance.

For 5 cars, 1 travel trailer, 1 utility trailer, 1 equipment trailer and a Kawasaki Mule (all comprehensive) I pay just over $500 a month.

Then add Verizon Wireless at almost $300 a month. Great cell service though.
T-Mobile for $130 a month for crap service.
Xfinity X1 at almost $300 a month... 4K programming,Basic/Expanded/HBO/Showtime/Cinimax/DVR

$1,200 a month in that stuff. It sucks.

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #7
Site Team

Loyalty to a single company for years and years just isn't rewarded anymore. Most of them just expect their customers to accept their yearly price increases without a word of complaint.

Insurance is a big one for this. It's often recommended to shop around every year or 2 to make sure you are actually getting the best deal. Same with TV/satellite providers, cell phone providers, internet providers... basically anything with some sort of yearly subscription or contract.

In most cases if you threaten enough to leave, they'll start lowering their prices in an effort to get you to sign up for another 6 months or a year. Then you just call back after that and do the same song and dance all over again.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:31 AM   #8
Grammar Pedant

Insurance companies are long known to penalize loyalty. Every year you stay is another data point to corroborate the hypothesis of "this guy ain't goin' anywhere." If you're not leaving, then crank up the rates. And, that's what they do. People should be shopping and switching at least every 2-3 years. It's sort of a hassle, but it's necessary to save money. Geico, Progressive, Farmers, and so on. Coverage is about the same, service has been relatively standardized, and it's just about your cost.

DirecTV and cable is more varied. I was with DirecTV for over 10 years. It was getting too expensive and I asked for something better or I'd have to leave. I read lots of stories and even had friends who would get things like NFL Sunday Ticket for free. Maybe I wasn't animated enough ... I don't rant and rave. They just transferred me to the cancellations department and I closed my account. Done and done. I've been on OTA since and I love it.

But, it's not automatic. Some people get the royal treatment. Others, like me, simply get a polite "sorry to see you go" message. YMMV.

The insurance thing is definitely not YMMV. With incredibly few exceptions, people who stay with their auto insurance companies longer than about 4 years are getting screwed on their premiums.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #9

Our insurance either stays the same or goes down a little most years.
Good thing, because my daughter is our agent. I KNOW ITS PROBABLY NOT THE CHEAPEST!
Artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #10

One thing to consider when shopping for insurance to save money is what happens when you actually have a claim.

Some companies are noted for their ability to take care of the Customer with little effort on the customers part. Others expect the customer to do all the work.

My company is a little more expensive but when I did have a claim, everything was handled in one phone call. No chasing around for estimates, finding a repair shop, calling a tow company to get car moved from lot where car was towed after accident, etc.

As for Cable/Satellite TV companies, their worse than government that is constantly raising taxes.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #11

Shopping around for insurance is a good idea in my book. I do so every five years or so, and if I bundle all my insurance (car/home/motorcycle/camper) I can count on finding a company that will significantly reduce my insurance cost.

BTW - despite the fact that I do change insurance companies, I've never had a problem getting a claim handled.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #12
DW's 401(k) Plan

Was with one insurance company for several years and really liked the agent. We bought the Sunseeker and got our yearly premium which was outrageous! Agent said, "Larry, you've got 3 vehicles and one has a house on it." So, I started looking around. Now pay $1K LESS per year with different company.
Yep, pays to shop around. [emoji106]

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:13 PM   #13

67L48, that is so true regarding loyalty and they will not lower it if you complain. You have to jump around for the best rates.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj469 View Post
67L48, that is so true regarding loyalty and they will not lower it if you complain. You have to jump around for the best rates.
Bringing all the insurance threads back from the dead tonight! 🤣
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance