Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2015, 09:33 PM   #1

Insurance, who do you have?

I think it's time to look at insurance options both on the camper and the cars even possibly the house. If you have a good insurance company that has given you outstanding service let me know. I have been in the auto industry for a long time and delt with a lot of adjusters and insurance companies some I have said I would never give them a dime watching how they operate they truly do not operate like that say in the commercials, the only interest they have is their own.
toyota family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:37 PM   #2

Nationwide........is on your side. we have everything with them. Good combined discounts. My HS buddy has been my agent for almost 30 yrs.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:38 PM   #3

We have house, vehicles and RV all with State Farm - been with them for 30 years
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:42 PM   #4
Oklahoma Proud

We have Farm Bureau insurance for all our vehicles, home, boat, camper and any farm related insurance.
We had our camper totaled in 2012 from storm damage from tornado weather that we had here in Oklahoma. They were fair to work with, they had to sub out some of thier claims since there were so many to work with. We ended up on top and had to negotiate a little since our camper was only 10 months old when it was damaged and it was hard to find comparables to get a price.
I've had them since i was 16 years old and I'll likely keep them for many more years!!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:44 PM   #5

We have both homes and all the vehicles and toys with Nationwide . Ive been with them since 1967. When we bought the 315wp we needed insurance quick so we just had it added on,but now,after the fact, I think they are a bit pricy for the 315wp,so now that I have time to shop,I think I will.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:46 PM   #6

You're going to get as many different replies as the 'Ford-vs Chevy vs Dodge' debates or the 'ST vs LT' debacles. Everyone either loves or hates their insurance companies.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:50 PM   #7

Been with State Farm for my entire life and had good service from them until recently. My agent decided to focus more on her political career than her job, switched agents, now twice this year State Farm has reached into my pocket without prior notification or consent. Couple that with the new agent isn't concerned with doing their job either, and now I'm searching for a new company.

State Farm was good to me in the past, it could just be my agents.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:57 PM   #8

I currently have state farm and have been with them for years, I will definitely give them a shot to make it better I'm getting tired of the rates going up and up never had a claim use them for everything in 24 months my auto and rv has gone up 33% home 20% in the same 2 years, all I do is give them money. A quick online search I could save $1000 a year one company with better coverage and lower deductibles, Geico which I'm not entirely sure about them was just looking to see a comparable that $1000 was only on my cars.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:01 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
We have house, vehicles and RV all with State Farm - been with them for 30 years
Same here in addition to some money investment funds.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:08 PM   #10

Ive had Geico for several years now. No problems at all and great to work with! Constantly less than Statefarm and progressive.
firedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #11

USAA has always treated me well.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
You're going to get as many different replies as the 'Ford-vs Chevy vs Dodge' debates or the 'ST vs LT' debacles. Everyone either loves or hates their insurance companies.
Really looking for the multiple stay away from these people opinions. Nothing worse than needing to use your insurance after many years of paying and not be treated right. The old oh I ment to call you but... I didn't realize you actually wanted your car fixed. I know you have a nearly new truck but we think it's OK to fix it with bondo and used parts, it'll be just like new.

I have seen it in my time in the auto industry.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:54 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I've been with AAA / RV and it was good. Last year I took out two doors on my truck going thru a parking gate after a snow storm. They covered it and my agent said it was not going to jack up my rates since it was my first claim. When my premium came due it was jacked up $400/yr. Their answer was that I started a claim a year before because my tire fell off my truck and rolled into a parked car. My body shop repaired some rust on my box and had the tire off and they denied ever having it off. They wanted me to pay the whole bill for the parked car or pay higher premiums the next three years. I went back to the body shop and finally he decided to fix the other car but claimed he was not at fault. So now AAA has paid NOTHING but still is charging me for a not at fault claim. Now $1200+ surcharge for the next three years. Time to switch!
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:57 PM   #14
Anacortesians

We've been with Allstate since 1971. Our RV policy was particularly good, because if we took it off the road for the winter (stored on our third driveway), they dropped the on-road liability insurance until we re-started it. If I needed to take the rig on the road for any reason, I could get coverage for a single day.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:04 PM   #15

We have had USAA for going on probably 20 years. Home, Auto and RV.

Days camped 2014 - 0, 2015 - 24
IlliniJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:47 PM   #16

Erie - House, MH, autos, umbrella. Best rates I could find. Only with them for 2 years, no claims and no big premium increases.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:29 AM   #17

IllinJoe ... I also have USAA for auto insurance, but they told me they don't insure RVs and passed me off to one of their partners which I believe was Progressive. Did USAA start to insure RVs?
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:03 AM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to chuckw5kav
We have had USAA for years. Home, Auto and 5th wheel.

Milehghcty
They pass us off to Progressive when we got our Class C but when we traded it in for the 5er we
were welcome back to the USAA side .....
W5KAV
Last years Camping 125 days
This years Camping 150 an still going
chuckw5kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:27 AM   #19

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
USAA and Amica are the highest rated companies based on customer satisfaction and financial stability. USAA only allows military and their families (past and present I believe). Amica is a Mutual Company that pays dividends yearly as long as they are profitable.

Personally, I have had everything with Amica for 4 or 5 years and had 1 minor claim that was addressed very well. I was with State Farm for a very long time before that, and was treated well with my 1 and only claim (stolen vehicle). IIRC there are different divisions of State Farm, and I was with the supposed better one (low risk customers only)....this was according to my agent at the time.

For those that have been with any given company for a long time and are seeing their rates continually rise for no reason....It is now standard practice for Insurance Companies (and agents) to raise rates on those customers that they believe are not going anywhere (long term customers). Do yourself a favor and shop around if you haven't for a few years. Also, don't forget that you can shop agents too, as they normally can set their own rate mark-ups. (IE...the State Farm agent with the fancy office downtown is likely charging you more than the State Farm agent that works out of a trailer in the sticks would)
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:39 AM   #20

I was a proud Allstate customer for all my years since high school (that's many actually) and after they continually raised my rates almost to the point of what I had when I was under 25, I decided it was time to switch.

I called around and Farmers gave me the best rates I have ever seen. I had to question the agent over and over again. He assured me the coverage was the same as Allstate. So I took the plunge.

You can't rate an insurance company by the rates alone. What really counts is when you need them. Last Spring a freak baseball hail storm came through and took out the North and West sides of my house (windows, siding, downs, gutters, trim etc) as well as my 19RR. They came through and everything came out great. It was all very easy. I just got my renewal notice for 2015 and the rate was identical to previous year. That's a good sign IMHO. I'm a very happy customer.

BTW also had hail damage on the camper I had previous with Allstate and they came through fine too. I had to fight with them a little but they eventually settled with me.