Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2015, 08:12 AM   #1

Interest rate shenanigans

Is there an "average" interest rate for purchasing a new RV?

We're picking up a toy hauler tomorrow and while we were shopping a few weeks ago our salesman kept mentioning that the "average" rate they're seeing is about 6.5%. Once we decided on the unit and they ran our credit, they came back with a BofA loan at 5.75% with $0 down telling us that it's great.

I did a little research and applied for a loan through Costco/Essex and was approved for 4.65% with 10% down. To process the loan I needed a copy of the Manufacturer's Origination document, so I called up the dealer and spoke with the finance guy. I mentioned what I was doing and within 30 seconds he says "How 'bout we keep it all in house with 4.5% $0 down?"

Obviously, I'm happy to have a lower loan, but this is the kind of nonsense that makes me dread new purchases.
CampinDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:15 AM   #2
Always Learning

The dealer gets commission. If they can eat into that, they can offer you a lower rate.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:19 AM   #3

I just went through a lot to get mine financed and learned something new to me, i am sure others know about this already. The public deal with a Direct loan department at the bank where as Dealers (Cars or campers) deal with the indirect loan department. Now typically the Dealers are given a special rate by the bank for various reasons. The one bank i talked to stated the dealer has the legal right to take their discounted rate and raise by up to 2.5% which goes to them. So sounds like your dealer did that, but now that you found a better deal or competition they simply knocked it down to what the bank actually approved you for.
bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
Site Team

No. They'll charge you as much as you'll pay. I found best rate at credit Union. 2.29%

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinDad View Post
Is there an "average" interest rate for purchasing a new RV?

We're picking up a toy hauler tomorrow and while we were shopping a few weeks ago our salesman kept mentioning that the "average" rate they're seeing is about 6.5%. Once we decided on the unit and they ran our credit, they came back with a BofA loan at 5.75% with $0 down telling us that it's great.

I did a little research and applied for a loan through Costco/Essex and was approved for 4.65% with 10% down. To process the loan I needed a copy of the Manufacturer's Origination document, so I called up the dealer and spoke with the finance guy. I mentioned what I was doing and within 30 seconds he says "How 'bout we keep it all in house with 4.5% $0 down?"

Obviously, I'm happy to have a lower loan, but this is the kind of nonsense that makes me dread new purchases.
Never be confused. You should shop for money just like you would any other thing you buy. Most people don't like shopping for money, so they pay up for the purchase. It really is that simple. Good job by the way, that is a good rate. Just pay the loan off as soon as possible, because in the formula Interest x Rate x Time, time is the most important factor, bar none.
Just do some simple calculations and you will see how it effects the total cost.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Never be confused. You should shop for money just like you would any other thing you buy. Most people don't like shopping for money, so they pay up for the purchase. It really is that simple. Good job by the way, that is a good rate. Just pay the loan off as soon as possible, because in the formula Interest x Rate x Time, time is the most important factor, bar none.
Just do some simple calculations and you will see how it effects the total cost.
Already been playing with a loan amortization calculator to decide how much extra to pay each month. It is amazing how small changes add up very quickly over the life of the loan.
CampinDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:41 AM   #7

Bingo, give that man a ceeegar.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #8
Broken Toe

Good rule of thumb. Never, ever have your financing arraigned by any dealer. Car, boat, RV, motorcycle, etc. One of the ways they make money is by kickbacks and commission on the financing. Arraign your own financing, and then tell you are paying cash.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Good rule of thumb. Never, ever have your financing arraigned by any dealer. Car, boat, RV, motorcycle, etc. One of the ways they make money is by kickbacks and commission on the financing. Arraign your own financing, and then tell you are paying cash.

Tim
There's no harm in getting a rate quote from a dealer and shopping it against other lenders. A dealer CAN actually get you a lower rate than lenders will offer. Once they know you're shopping their rate, they'll drop it. They still have incentive to have you finance through them.
I have no problem with a dealer making money off of a contract as long as it didn't add to my own expense.
So, don't throw the baby out with the bath water on that one.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:18 PM   #10

unless the dealer offers you 0%. Then take it...
Old 04-30-2015, 04:36 PM   #11

We shopped for our Class C with a cash limit. Explained that there would be no financing, and gave our bottom line amount. Walked away with a $10K discount.
The year before, with the toy hauler, we financed through the dealer, but turned around and paid it off with a loan from the credit union at 3.05%, almost 4 % lower than the dealer's "best" rate.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:46 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridersfan View Post
I have no problem with a dealer making money off of a contract as long as it didn't add to my own expense.
My truck dealership did that. They started out quite a bit above my local credit union. When I pushed back, they beat the credit union by a quarter percent. I generally don't care where my money goes to - as long as it's not more than I need to be paying.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:04 PM   #13
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

My dealer tried the same with me except they couldn't match Costco/Essex rate of 3.49%. I would have gone with the dealer if they had matched it, because the loan documents between me, the bank and dealer took more than a week to process.
HomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridersfan View Post
There's no harm in getting a rate quote from a dealer and shopping it against other lenders.
Just be cognizant of how many other lenders you're shopping with. Every inquiry on your credit report will have a negative impact on your overall credit score (FICO). Inquiries will sit on your credit report for 2 years.

It's not usually an issue if someone is reviewing your credit report after the fact because it's easy for a person to see you were shopping for a vehicle, but nowadays most credit decisions are systemic and use the credit score as a/the decisioning factor and will not take in to account WHY there are multiple inquiries.

Also - the rate the bank gives the dealer is called the "Buy Back Rate" and you are entitled to see it - you just have to ask.

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:47 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdangel0 View Post
Also - the rate the bank gives the dealer is called the "Buy Back Rate" and you are entitled to see it - you just have to ask.
I didn't know that. That seems like a terrible thing for the dealers.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #16

I got an RV loan thru my credit union for 1.99 % for 7 years on the new Class C we purchased 4 weeks ago.
I agree with what others have said about not financing thru the selling dealership (unless they can beat what you came pre-approved for). I always negotiate the price before saying how I plan to pay.

Not a bad rate and tax deductible to boot!
6inthefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #17
Site Team

I purchased a new car last summer. Had a 0% 3 yr loan ( their 4th July special). so I financed with dealer. Signed paperwork and drove home. There days later finance person calls and says that bank would not take loan and wanted 2.5% interest but they would lower the car price some to help offset.. She said they would send me the new loan papers to sign. I asked what time they closed. She told me that I did not have to come in to sign paprs. I told her I wasn't coming to sign the new paperwork, but to return the car. Manager called back three mins later and said everything was taken care of.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:21 AM   #18

We're trying to purchase with the least amount of cost to us and the dealer is trying to sell with the most amount of profit to them. Included in the cost/profit is the price of the unit, finance costs, sometimes insurance and service policies, and what the dealer might add such as wash, PDI, etc. We need to come to the process with as much information as we can to come out of the process with a good deal.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdangel0 View Post
Just be cognizant of how many other lenders you're shopping with. Every inquiry on your credit report will have a negative impact on your overall credit score (FICO). Inquiries will sit on your credit report for 2 years.

It's not usually an issue if someone is reviewing your credit report after the fact because it's easy for a person to see you were shopping for a vehicle, but nowadays most credit decisions are systemic and use the credit score as a/the decisioning factor and will not take in to account WHY there are multiple inquiries.

You are correct there, I should clarify my advice... don't apply for credit everywhere, inquire for best rate everywhere. I am fortunate that I have great credit... so I'd never fill out an application to "find out". They know what their best can be, and I'd assume to qualify for the best, and if I don't... I'd walk.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:02 AM   #20
Lon

My dad used to always say only borrow money for things that increase in value and pay cash for things that decrease with time. So borrow 100000 dollars at three percent and invest in the stock market. Most portfolios made about 15 percent last year. Pay off the loan in two years and u will have made 30k less 6k interest. Then take that 24k and make ur best cash deal on a new mini lite with a slide out.
I used to play golf with a rich guy who would hit a huge hook off somebody's roof and then he'd say something in German like "Das ist eine hooken......." One day I asked him how he got so rich and he said "Lon if u want to get rich uve got to have brass ..... Something or another." I can't remember exactly how that ended. But I guess the key thing with the interest is do what u like and then like what u do. Its kind of like Ben Franklin said about choosing ur spouse. He said "before u get married look a long long time and after u get married hardly look at all." Because u gotta be happy with the decision u make for a long long time and to be honest I think that guy enjoyed hitting those houses with his drive and probably did it on purpose. :-) 
Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1430802121.494702.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  81.2 KB
Lon is offline   Reply With Quote